Vanguard

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Vanguard

Post by Old fella »

Any retired old timers out there ever fly the Vanguard. I flew on it as a passenger many times, thought it noisy with those high wining turbines but outside of that it had a comfy interior. Be interested to hear a pilot prospective, that is if any are around now.
---------- ADS -----------

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Vanguard

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Great question, Old Fella, and I'll be interested to hear if any former crew have anything to contribute. In the meantime, you might find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmakSwlYLs0 fun to watch - nice short field technique which turned out to be somewhat more aggressive than initially thought. Classic pilot response: "I'm not sure we should be on film for this, really." :smt040

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

:lol: it was a tad tight

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:36 am Great question, Old Fella, and I'll be interested to hear if any former crew have anything to contribute. In the meantime, you might find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmakSwlYLs0 fun to watch - nice short field technique which turned out to be somewhat more aggressive than initially thought. Classic pilot response: "I'm not sure we should be on film for this, really." :smt040
Indeed, fun to see that. Looks like it can be stopped on a dime although in this case a tad short. I did hear the ole’guard could haul bags of fuel which was great for Maritime operations especially YYT, not uncommon for the airport to be down in fog yet Portugal Cove and Bell Island were visual. Somebody who worked at TCA/ AC YQX ops years back said it was common for the Vanguard to hold at YYT for an hour even longer in anticipation the early morning fog would move out especially if Bell Island and the coast was visual.

I am starting to show my age as I even remember trips on the TCA North Star and Super Connie. Back in late 50’s I was at Toronto Children’s hospital for a couple of weeks for bowel reconstruction and flew the night trip to Malton- Toronto airport from Gander non stop as family was living in St. John’s at the time.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There’s probably still a few F/As at AC that started on the Vanguard. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Air Canada”