737 max

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: 737 max

Post by altiplano »

Okay.
---------- ADS -----------

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

The 737 could be down far longer than some guess, and the "spool up" time will be longer still. I think if the MOA is expanded to include all 737 pilots still "current" on their old type, you'll see more jumping ship.

Some guys got into flying because they love it. They like the lifestyle, they like being on the move. Summer in Slovakia, Germany or Italy beats the hell out of being stuck in Timmins or Thunder Bay. Guess it depends on where your perspective ie. where live, why you live there and family. I can see some young guys/gals getting pretty antsy not flying for months on end. Sitting around is for retirement methinks.

Just saying that everyones situation is different, so a "summer off" at 70 hours pay doesn't appeal to all.

IMO, DP.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Different strokes for different folks. I know I’d rather be flying.

It has been a pretty big pay cut for me, although I’m not complaining about the MOA, the situation is unprecedented. However going from around 85 hrs to 70, and as a member of the training group the premium on those 85 hrs is gone as well. Single income family. We will be fine, and I recognize that I am still in a better financial position then most of the population in the country, but I’d rather be working.

With 3 young kids, school is still on so no grand vacations, plus travelling by air can be a cluster with a family of 5 and the young ones. I suppose maybe I’m the exception as I still look forward to going to work. Yes it is a job sometimes and I value my time with my family but I miss it.

Been at AC 8 years, been flying for a job for 15 and started flying when I was 14. And I still love it. Most days I still have a big stupid smile on my face as we push back off the gate. I feel bad for the guys that are counting the days to retirement and still have 20 years to go. The job also affords me days off in a row to spend time with the kids. All around it’s pretty good. I can’t say I wouldn’t have taken the offer to go back to the previous type if it was an option for me.

Hopefully they get this stuff sorted out quickly but also correctly.

BTD

Return to “Air Canada”