737 max

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 737 max

Post by Raymond Hall »

I would like to confirm some of the "facts" regarding the MAX aircraft systems, the ADs, and the type of training that pilots received, preferably by someone who is current on the aircraft. Would anyone be willing to send me a PM so that I could follow up confidentially, perhaps with a telephone call? In strict confidence.
---------- ADS -----------

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

Did anyone read the report on the Lion Air crash? It states that the same aircraft had issues with sensors, most likely the AOA gauge, in the days prior to the fateful flight. Prior crews turned the trim switch off and had a non-eventful flight. My question is, why was this plane allowed to fly with a faulty AOA gauge? I have not looked at the MEL list yet, but I'm pretty sure you cannot MEL something that important? This sounds like a maintenance issue, not a Boeing issue.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

It certainly looks like a Boeing problem, maybe also a maintenance problem, a pilot problem and a training problem maybe even throw in an FAA problem as well for good measure!!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Hugh Jasshole wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 pm why was this plane allowed to fly with a faulty AOA gauge?
“Lubricated and returned to service.” Repeat as required.

Guilden
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Guilden »

yycflyguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Guilden wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am Hey Boeing, Airspeed Unreliable QRC:

1. Autopilot (if engaged)...Disengage
2. Autothrottle (if engaged)..Disengage
3. STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches...CUTOUT

Etc Etc

PROBLEM SOLVED.
That's not the drill for Airspeed Unreliable at AC. That is close to the Runaway Stab Trim Drill except you left out attempting to reverse the trim electrically first then the CUTOUT switches, then grabbing the trim wheel and manually reversing the trim.

The MCAS system is only active with flaps up in manual flight (No AP).
Hey yycflyguy, yes I'm aware of the QRC as I fly the B737.. I'm just saying they should maybe think of adding that into the Airspeed Unreliable QRC.. I've also heard recent rumblings of a group of pilots from numerous companies taken to a max simulator with not a high success rate of recovering from the same scenario as the Lion Air crash.. pretty hard to recover from a dive at low altitude like these guys were faced with.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Guilden wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:46 am
yycflyguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Guilden wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am Hey Boeing, Airspeed Unreliable QRC:

1. Autopilot (if engaged)...Disengage
2. Autothrottle (if engaged)..Disengage
3. STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches...CUTOUT

Etc Etc

PROBLEM SOLVED.
That's not the drill for Airspeed Unreliable at AC. That is close to the Runaway Stab Trim Drill except you left out attempting to reverse the trim electrically first then the CUTOUT switches, then grabbing the trim wheel and manually reversing the trim.

The MCAS system is only active with flaps up in manual flight (No AP).
Hey yycflyguy, yes I'm aware of the QRC as I fly the B737.. I'm just saying they should maybe think of adding that into the Airspeed Unreliable QRC.. I've also heard recent rumblings of a group of pilots from numerous companies taken to a max simulator with not a high success rate of recovering from the same scenario as the Lion Air crash.. pretty hard to recover from a dive at low altitude like these guys were faced with.
Agreed.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Raymond Hall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm I would like to confirm some of the "facts" regarding the MAX aircraft systems, the ADs, and the type of training that pilots received, preferably by someone who is current on the aircraft. Would anyone be willing to send me a PM so that I could follow up confidentially, perhaps with a telephone call? In strict confidence.
There isn't anyone over 60 or looking to go to 67 on the Max as far as I know.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Raymond Hall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm I would like to confirm some of the "facts" regarding the MAX aircraft systems, the ADs, and the type of training that pilots received, preferably by someone who is current on the aircraft. Would anyone be willing to send me a PM so that I could follow up confidentially, perhaps with a telephone call? In strict confidence.
Ambulance chasing?

Whoop whoop, don’t contact lawyer.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

altiplano wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 pm
There isn't anyone over 60 or looking to go to 67 on the Max as far as I know.

:lol:

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

FYI, I have been invited to speak on national radio tomorrow on this subject. It would be helpful if I could confirm what I understand to be a number of "facts" that affect all of us, especially facts that help inform the traveling public about the critical safety issues and how those issues are being addressed. It might also be helpful if the public was provided some unsourced insight as to how this issue is being viewed by the very pilots who are most directly affected by it.

One thing for sure: neither Transport Canada nor any of the airlines allow any of their employees or representatives to speak publicly on this issue. In consequence the public is not well informed, as a result.

And quite frankly, I have not been overly impressed by many of the so-called aviation experts who have appeared in the media to discuss the core safety issues, including those who have appeared on CNN.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Well said Mr Hall.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Cause there is no real information out there. Still waiting on FDR data, so even the actual experts are going off speculation.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Raymond Hall wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm FYI, I have been invited to speak on national radio tomorrow on this subject. It would be helpful if I could confirm what I understand to be a number of "facts" that affect all of us, especially facts that help inform the traveling public about the critical safety issues and how those issues are being addressed. It might also be helpful if the public was provided some unsourced insight as to how this issue is being viewed by the very pilots who are most directly affected by it.

One thing for sure: neither Transport Canada nor any of the airlines allow any of their employees or representatives to speak publicly on this issue. In consequence the public is not well informed, as a result.

And quite frankly, I have not been overly impressed by many of the so-called aviation experts who have appeared in the media to discuss the core safety issues, including those who have appeared on CNN.
So, you are going to give an interview on an airplane that you have never flown, are unfamiliar with the technology/systems, and have been retired from active flying, for what 7 years, yet you feel it important to speak to actual pilots on the plane so you don't sound like a dick during your interview to enlighten the public?

I always wondered how pilots became "aviation experts". You need to send Gábor Lukács your resume. Unbelievable. It's been awhile since you have pissed me off.... but you did it again.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You should call Jock Williams to fill you in. He knew all about everything on this...

What a joke or media is... always looking for content... so interview the lawyer who doesn't have any relevant information.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

altiplano wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 pm You should call Jock Williams to fill you in. He knew all about everything on this...

What a joke or media is... always looking for content... so interview the lawyer who doesn't have any relevant information.
Well there is a guy(JW) who wasn't shy about seeking out the nearest microphone pontificating on all subjects aviation, there isn't a subject in this business that he doesn't know about, at least that is what he lets on to everybody. :rolleyes:

LETUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LETUN »

Raymond, why on earth would you go on national TV to talk about something you have no clue about?

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

yycflyguy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 pm So, you are going to give an interview on an airplane that you have never flown, are unfamiliar with the technology/systems, and have been retired from active flying, for what 7 years, yet you feel it important to speak to actual pilots on the plane so you don't sound like a dick during your interview to enlighten the public? ... Unbelievable. It's been awhile since you have pissed me off.... but you did it again.
You should get your facts straight. It has been 10 years since I hung up my headset, not 7. And if I need any lessons on sounding like a dick, I know where to get them.

Come out from behind your veil of anonymity here and let's have a real debate about aviation facts and issues.

Want to take me on? Have at it, without your crutch. Let's see what you've accomplished in your life and we can compare notes. Let us know of your education and experience, other than in putting people down.

The interview tomorrow will be about my 150th on national radio and television dealing with current aviation issues, including about 75 while I was MEC Chair. Either I must be pretty good at bluffing, or someone must value my opinions and perspectives.

By way of example, this past Thursday I was in the Federal Court of Appeal in Ottawa (the second-highest court in the land) appearing before three very senior judges, all of whom I had appeared before before in separate cases, some cases dealing with aviation law and some dealing with broadcasting and communication law. Last month I was engaged by a large national law firm as a key expert witness in aviation for an upcoming trial lasting several weeks. And those cases only scratch the surface of my present work before the Commissions, Tribunals and courts in several provinces.

In case you didn't know, I don't determine my own dignity and self-worth from this venue or from those who don't have the courage to identify themselves and hold themselves accountable for discrediting those who do stand up for themselves.

So slander away. You discredit only yourself.

Last edited by Raymond Hall on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Raymond Hall wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 pm
yycflyguy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 pm So, you are going to give an interview on an airplane that you have never flown, are unfamiliar with the technology/systems, and have been retired from active flying, for what 7 years, yet you feel it important to speak to actual pilots on the plane so you don't sound like a dick during your interview to enlighten the public? ... Unbelievable. It's been awhile since you have pissed me off.... but you did it again.
You should get your facts straight. It has been 10 years since I hung up my headset, not 7. And if I need any lessons on sounding like a dick, I know where to get them.

Come out from behind your veil of anonymity here and let's have a real debate about aviation facts and issues.

Want to take me on? Have at it, without your crutch. Let's see what you've accomplished in your life and we can compare notes. Let us know of your education and experience, other than in putting other people down.

The interview tomorrow will be about my 150th on national radio and television dealing with current aviation issues, including about 75 while I was MEC Chair. Either I must be pretty good at bluffing, or someone must value my opinions and perspectives.

By way of example, this past Thursday I was in the Federal Court of Appeal in Ottawa (the second-highest court in the land) appearing before three very senior judges, all of whom I had appeared before before in separate cases, some cases dealing with aviation law and some dealing with broadcasting and communication law. Last month I was engaged by a large national law firm as a key expert witness in aviation for an upcoming trial lasting several weeks. And those cases only scratch the surface of my present work before the Commissions, Tribunals and courts in several provinces.

In case you didn't know, I don't determine my own dignity and self-worth from this venue or from those who don't have the courage to identify themselves and hold them accountable for discrediting those who do stand up for themselves.

So slander away. You discredit only yourself.

LOL... someone's a big deal!!!

But what do you know about this?

Not much if you need to solicit us anonymous cowards to fill you in, I suppose...

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

In regard to training on the Max, I was told by someone who would know, that the AC pilots did the full type course on the MAX, that included information on the MCAS, whereas the media is reporting other NG operators pilots had a very condensed conversion course that did not include MCAS. Can anybody confirm this information?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Raymond Hall wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 pm And if I need any lessons on sounding like a dick, I know where to get them.
Heheh good one.

Return to “Air Canada”