AC Pilots vs AC F/As : retirement age

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

AC Pilots vs AC F/As : retirement age

Post by A321 »

Do AC F/As have a mandatory retirement age? If not, does an active 70 year old AC F/A trump a retired 70 year old AC captain for a seat when travelling standby?
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AC Pilots vs AC F/As : retirement age

Post by Fanblade »

A321 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am Do AC F/As have a mandatory retirement age? If not, does an active 70 year old AC F/A trump a retired 70 year old AC captain for a seat when travelling standby?
Standby travel is based on years of service only. Years of service stop accumulating upon retirement. If the FA has more years of service then she/he gets the seat. Generally speaking FA’s get hired younger than pilots. In general a career FA will have more years of service than a career pilot of the same age. Fa’s can also work longer accumulating more years of service.

There are other quirks to. An AC pilot who was forced retired at 60 is now very likely 5 years behind in years of service to a junior peer who retired at 65.

This isn’t just a pilot FA thing though. It applies to all employees equally.

It’s one of those, it is what it is things.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

A321 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am Do AC F/As have a mandatory retirement age? If not, does an active 70 year old AC F/A trump a retired 70 year old AC captain for a seat when travelling standby?
Our 70 year old (ok,65), 46 years of service Captain just forced-retired. Yup. Hired at 19.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

He must have ticked all the boxes with a high level of education, and a few thousand hours to get on at 19. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

"He must have ticked all the boxes with a high level of education, and a few thousand hours to get on at 19."

He ticked the "my daddy was a captain" box.
:goodman:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

land3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:49 pm "He must have ticked all the boxes with a high level of education, and a few thousand hours to get on at 19."

He ticked the "my daddy was a captain" box.
:goodman:
Meh...likely "Straight Outta Seneca"...into the side seat on the 727 0r DC8...it wasn't uncommon when I was getting underway with my own career. Plus the "Daddy" thing.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I hate to dispel a good myth, but over my years at AC I have heard much more disappointment that "Sons and Daughters" were not hired than got on because of nepotism. When I have heard of a Son/Daughter getting on, 99% of the time the Father was AAA+ guy and pilot.

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

yycflyguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am I hate to dispel a good myth, but over my years at AC I have heard much more disappointment that "Sons and Daughters" were not hired than got on because of nepotism. When I have heard of a Son/Daughter getting on, 99% of the time the Father was AAA+ guy and pilot.
Thank-you. :D

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

The Raven wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:20 am
yycflyguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am I hate to dispel a good myth, but over my years at AC I have heard much more disappointment that "Sons and Daughters" were not hired than got on because of nepotism. When I have heard of a Son/Daughter getting on, 99% of the time the Father was AAA+ guy and pilot.
There must be baby Ravens all over Air Canada :D .....or are you the 1% factor :lol:

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

yycflyguy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:51 am
There must be baby Ravens all over Air Canada :D .....or are you the 1% factor :lol:
2 baby Ravens and a mommy Raven. Daddy Raven is retired. He's told the others to work hard to keep his pension secure :lol:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

The Raven wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:44 pm

2 baby Ravens and a mommy Raven. Daddy Raven is retired. He's told the others to work hard to keep his pension secure :lol:
“The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe, the poet of darkness. It tells of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow fall into madness... I took poetic liberty to the first verse. :drinkers:

“Once upon a midnight crossing, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my cockpit door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my cockpit door—
Only this and nothing more."

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Old fella wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 pm

“The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe, the poet of darkness. It tells of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow fall into madness... I took poetic liberty to the first verse. :drinkers:

Very good Old Fella. :lol: Actually The Raven is my nickname amongst my friends. There is a newsletter in Algonquin Park called The Raven. It is full of stories of adventure. Apparently while camping, sitting around the fire having a few drinks, my stories could rival those in The Raven. Hence my nickname.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

The Raven wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:18 pm
Old fella wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Very good Old Fella. :lol: Actually The Raven is my nickname amongst my friends. There is a newsletter in Algonquin Park called The Raven. It is full of stories of adventure. Apparently while camping, sitting around the fire having a few drinks, my stories could rival those in The Raven. Hence my nickname.
Story teller, eh. You would no doubt be a fine chap to swap some stories with and as well, having general cockpit conversation on some of those long haul flights as sun sets and comes upon other side. Then a few pints in Dublin or LHR...... but that is for another life. To reference Robert Frost “The Road Not Taken” is how it shaped for me regarding airline, notability AC. To bad though, I would have enjoyed it, especially working with guys like you.

Regards

Return to “Air Canada”