AC application post-secondary question

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyguy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC application post-secondary question

Post by flyguy03 »

Hi all

A question in the application states that : you obtained a Degree/Diploma from an Aviation College/University which included a multi-engine IFR and CPL YES/NO

I graduated from Confederation Colleges flight program which does not include a multi IFR which means I technically have to answer NO.

Does this disqualify my post-secondary from consideration even though I list it under education?

An answer from someone in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: AC application post-secondary question

Post by Daniel Cooper »

While it would disqualify you from that particular category it could still help your application if you can get it to the point where a human is looking at it. Getting it there is based mostly on a points system and you would not get points in that category.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

If it were me I'd say yes and then plead I must have misread or misunderstood it if ever challenged...

I think the HR person that wrote the question probably doesn't get it either.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I definitely would not lie on my application about something so obvious. Nobody is going to believe you misread the question and even if you did that reflects poorly on you for not being able to read a simple question. So at best you're stupid and at worst you're a liar. There will be a pilot in your interview that will know which aviation colleges are 3 year programs with multi-ifr training and which aren't.

There's a reason they want people with these courses. It proves you can learn more advanced flying technique and theory and demonstrate it at a proficient level. Many of us have flown with people that got their multi-IFR privately that can't even fly straight and level on instruments. There's no way to pass a college course with that level of competency.

Every time the question of which flight training to do pops up in the Flight Training forum people suggest the 3 year college programs. Largely they get ignored, but now you know why they suggest them.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory is right. Don't lie. I'm not very familiar with the colleges so it doesn't mean much to me.

But this:

"I didn't do my multi IFR in college so I can't fly straight and level or understand advanced things..."

Are you kidding?

I've flown with some pretty crappy pilots and some pretty excellent pilots over the years that fairly uniformly came from all corners of the industry, including the various colleges... it doesn't make you special.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Victory wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:49 pm Many of us have flown with people that got their multi-IFR privately that can't even fly straight and level on instruments. There's no way to pass a college course with that level of competency.
Wow. I've also flown with and heard of enough College know-it-alls who are absolutely horrible to fly with because of their arrogant attitudes. We all come from all different flying backgrounds and that's great. If you have a University degree but went to a flying club, there's nothing wrong with that. It's more about where you earned your stripes than where you studied theory of flight. For instance did you fly something without an autopilot up North? Have you held command? Are you somebody who others like to fly with? Even if you haven't done all these things, you probably have unique experience that makes you a better pilot. Nobody cares if you did an extra year in your college diploma. Ok maybe it's worth some points, but there are plenty of ways to check off enough boxes.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Please don't put things I didn't say in quotation marks. I've flown with plenty of very smart and proficient pilots that did their training privately. Nothing wrong with that. I've never flown with someone that did a 3 year aviation diploma that wasn't proficient though. So Air Canada saves themselves a lot of headaches by taking those people, because they can.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 pm Please don't put things I didn't say in quotation marks. I've flown with plenty of very smart and proficient pilots that did their training privately. Nothing wrong with that. I've never flown with someone that did a 3 year aviation diploma that wasn't proficient though. So Air Canada saves themselves a lot of headaches by taking those people, because they can.
Okay:

"I did a 3 year aviation diploma so I'm proficient"

Over the years I've flown with numerous who most certainly were not.

I guess we run with different crowds... or have different ideas of proficient.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Victory wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:49 pmThere's a reason they want people with these courses. It proves you can learn more advanced flying technique and theory and demonstrate it at a proficient level. Many of us have flown with people that got their multi-IFR privately that can't even fly straight and level on instruments. There's no way to pass a college course with that level of competency.

Every time the question of which flight training to do pops up in the Flight Training forum people suggest the 3 year college programs. Largely they get ignored, but now you know why they suggest them.
Aaaaaaaaaah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. You are absolutely delusional. The ONLY thing that stupid aviation degree is good for is a couple extra points in the hiring matrix.

I'm truly stupefied that that is something you believe. @#$! me haha.

Return to “Air Canada”