AC offer AT $13 per share

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: AC offer AT $13 per share

Post by ogc »

TSAM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 am https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... share.html
Quebec firm Group Mach makes rival offer for Transat worth $14 per share
"and convince the Quebec government to finance nearly one-quarter of the purchase."

I'm wondering if that means the government has agreed already or they need to agree still.

If the latter I would say that's hardly a solid offer.
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

ogc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 am
"and convince the Quebec government to finance nearly one-quarter of the purchase."

I'm wondering if that means the government has agreed already or they need to agree still.

If the latter I would say that's hardly a solid offer.
The offer is conditional on Quebec providing about $120 million in financing AKA not a real offer. More like trying to blackmail the government into giving you $120 loan or Quebec people are going to be mad at you for a lot of layoffs.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

TSAM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 am https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... share.html
Quebec firm Group Mach makes rival offer for Transat worth $14 per share
Fantastic news for the TS pilots.

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Pilots will loose out on the sweet heart deal they would have received at AC. Maybe they will get an employee discount on their next use of a real estate agent.

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Pilots will loose out on the sweet heart deal they would have received at AC. Maybe they will get an employee discount on their next use of a real estate agent.
Maybe great news for AC pilots then?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Just grab the popcorn and watch. This was inevitable. Probably not the last either. You never pay your original offer. AC will just match it.

So far this offer doesn’t look like much to me. Especially after paying the breakup fee. The only thing that might sway that is if the Quebec government is motivated.

No idea on that front.

My odds are still highly favouring AC:AT.

Maybe even an angle here to break up Transat. Hotels to developer, airline to AC

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots.
The nightmare of working for Air Canada is over and the dream of working for the state is being realized.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Seems to me most TS pilots have been looking the gift horse in the mouth over this deal. At least on this site. They won’t be forced to endure AC anymore. Win win.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

Being owned by a real estate company I would be more concerned about being broken up and sold off later down the rather than owner by an airline.

Goldencondor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goldencondor »

AT will not have to pay the breaking clause since in the fine print it stated if someone else came with an offer of more than 1$/share of what AC offered and that AC doesn’t match they are off the hook. Plus it’s not only 14$/share. It’s close to a billion dollars offer in value as they offered to swipe some debt as well in the deal.

My 2 cents is either CR really wants AT and will offer more or this was a timing move to delay an acquisition by ONEX forcing other players in quebec to pitch in. Both an AC deal or Mach deal is good for AT business, but its definitively 2 different routes. One is better for the airline part the other better for the tour operator part.

Mach offer seems to be conditional of a 120M$ loan from Qc government, and they admitted that the return on investment will take a while hence maybe hinting on privatizing AT in the short term. At least until it finalizes the hotel expansion.

Return to “Air Canada”