Federal Election — aircraft use

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Federal Election — aircraft use

Post by ogopogo »

I noticed on TV this morning Mr Scheer is using a gussied-up A320. Assuming the C party has leased it from AC (I’m guessing) I’m curious as to how crew scheduling works re: schedules, hotels, etc. Is this something AC pilots would volunteer for? Or maybe the planes are crewed by management pilots?
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Federal Election — aircraft use

Post by jpilot77 »

Last edited by jpilot77 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Given the heightened security surrounding flying federal leaders perhaps these question are best left unanswered on a public forum?
If someone needed to know how the flying gets done they would know by now.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Sharklasers wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 am Given the heightened security surrounding flying federal leaders perhaps these question are best left unanswered on a public forum?
Give me a break if security was such a big deal they wouldn’t paint it with Conservative party and his name all over it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.narcit ... -canadians

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

fish4life wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 am
Sharklasers wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 am Given the heightened security surrounding flying federal leaders perhaps these question are best left unanswered on a public forum?
Give me a break if security was such a big deal they wouldn’t paint it with Conservative party and his name all over it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.narcit ... -canadians
Are you so damaged that you dont see a difference between knowing that AC does the flying and knowing which pilots do the flying, how they are selected and where they sleep at night?

Post away then and let corporate security sort it out.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Wow, some touchy people in here!

I read the query as beiing more out of interest, along the lines of: "do regular crews bid 'election special' for a three day pairing," rather than: " is pilot X going to be staying in room y at the CY__ Holiday Inn on Sunday October 17th?"

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Jets flying is done with dedicated FA's and a maintenance engineer. The pilots are regular line pilots assigned to the flying like any other flying. Some falls to reserve. Last minute Jets flying (irregular/unpredictable) like this often gets picked up by management so as not to disturb the operation or overwhelm reserve.

But it could be ultimately any 320 pilots in the system and likely multiple crews if the leaders want long days.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Fanblade wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:31 pm Jets flying is done with dedicated FA's and a maintenance engineer. The pilots are regular line pilots assigned to the flying like any other flying. Some falls to reserve. Last minute Jets flying (irregular/unpredictable) like this often gets picked up by management so as not to disturb the operation or overwhelm reserve.

But it could be ultimately any 320 pilots in the system and likely multiple crews if the leaders want long days.
Is it interesting type flying dealing with campaigning party leaders, their entourage and the chasing media. Obviously there is a professional decorum that has to be maintained and for sure there is. I would crew duty times are some sort of an issue with party leaders tearing around the country at all times. Also the unexpected aka The Liberal B737 vs the Media Bus...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Old fella wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 am
Fanblade wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:31 pm Jets flying is done with dedicated FA's and a maintenance engineer. The pilots are regular line pilots assigned to the flying like any other flying. Some falls to reserve. Last minute Jets flying (irregular/unpredictable) like this often gets picked up by management so as not to disturb the operation or overwhelm reserve.

Is it interesting type flying dealing with campaigning party leaders, their entourage and the chasing media. Obviously there is a professional decorum that has to be maintained and for sure there is. I would assume crew duty times are some sort of an issue with party leaders tearing around the country at all times. Also the unexpected aka The Liberal B737 vs the Media Bus...

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

What is Elizabeth May and Jagmet Sighn using to get around the country?

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Whatever it is, it better be powered by fairy dust and pixie farts.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Pixie farts, although small, are a powerful greenhouse gas. Even worse than oldschool refrigerant gas.

I'm sure their hybrid airplane runs on unicorn excrement as it's low in carbon and contains a metric shit ton of energy.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Darkwing Duck wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 pm What is Elizabeth May and Jagmet Sighn using to get around the country?
Singh hasn't announced what he is using yet, AFAIK.

May has announced that she is flying commercial. She'll say that it's to reduce her carbon footprint, but it's really because of a lack of funds at the Green Party.

---

Please remember to vote for your best candidate and do not vote against the party that you have been taught to hate.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Please remember to vote for your best candidate and do not vote against the party that you have been taught to hate.
Oh ok.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:46 am Pixie farts, although small, are a powerful greenhouse gas. Even worse than oldschool refrigerant gas.

I'm sure their hybrid airplane runs on unicorn excrement as it's low in carbon and contains a metric shit ton of energy.
Pixie farts = sulfur hexa-fluoride SF6.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

The election flying is covered differently than the rest of the Jetz due to additional security. Media is everywhere. The campaign season is short, (usually) every four years and before the hockey season gets into full swing. It's not difficult to crew.

The Sport Charters are a cool experience that some really enjoy and others are indifferent to. Everyone talks about the food for good reason, the players eat like kings, the left-overs are amazing. The FA's are incredible, organized and great to have a couple of drinks with.

Lots of the pairings are pretty dull, dead-head to YOW ferry an empty aircraft to EWR, deadhead home. Most of the flights with the teams are post-game; wait around until the bus shows up, players eat while their gear is loaded, the aircraft is a safe space for the team and they aren't to be solicited, fly from Dulles to Philly, get to the hotel at 3am. Sleep until noon, deadhead home as the aircraft has already been ferried to FLL. AC runs a really good operation, crewed and managed by people who really love their work.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

liberal bus runs into liberal plane. pretty much sums up the last 5 years

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Darkwing Duck wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 pm What is Elizabeth May and Jagmet Sighn using to get around the country?
Canada Jetlines!!

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

I haven't been able to find anything on Canada Jetlines except stock pricing and "Making Flying Suck Less"

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Darkwing Duck wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 am I haven't been able to find anything on Canada Jetlines except stock pricing and "Making Flying Suck Less"
They're trying to go head to head with WestJet and Swoop.

They say they'll get their first A320 in Q4 2019, but saying that, we are a week away from Q4 2019 and I have seen no booking availability or aircraft updates.

---- Edit:

After reading through their Q2 Financial Statements and MD&A, I see that their lease begins November 1, 2019.

They originally wanted up to 21 737MAXs, but they cancelled that

Based on their financial statements and the losses per quarter, I don't believe that they will ever take to the skies... but what do I know? I only fly airplanes.

Return to “Air Canada”