Typical New Hire RP Schedule.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Typical New Hire RP Schedule.

Post by tsgarp »

Hi Guys,

What is typical new hire RP's schedule? How many days a month are they away from domicile?
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Typical New Hire RP Schedule.

Post by jpilot77 »

Depends, it could be as little as 9. Or if you don’t hold a block you might be home all month. I new guys who were RPs on the 87 and couldn’t hold a block, they didn’t get called out much.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

How many days on reserve per month and for how many months to be able to hold a block?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Depends. I was a RP in YYZ for 8 months. I was able to hold a block as soon as I was line checked. 20 days of reserve per month.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

17.75 days of reserve per month. Not 20.

You get 12 days + 6 hours off.

One thing with being an RP on reserve though - all the trips are 3+ days, so when you are approaching guaranteed days off you know the last 2 days of reserve unless you want to go fly, you're done. Crew sched used to release commuters in that situation so they could go home.

Even in reserve, it's a pretty cushy job.

But with open FO seats on every wide body type at this airline - like several hundred - showing new hire on the latest bid. I don't know why this airline doesn't eliminate the RP position entirely. You get a far more versatile employee, less training in the airline at a time we are training in overload, eliminate the brain drain that riding in the back is for some guys, and you pay the pilot the same for first 4 years anyway.

It would be good for the pilots, good for the operation, and cheaper for the company.

I'd like to see it in the 2020 reopener. Get one step closer to what our US colleagues are doing on LH/ULH flights.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Thanks for the correction altiplano I though it was 20. A few years ago when the RP course was a lot shorter the amount of training wasn’t very much. But now an RP course is basically a full FO course. So I’m also surprised the company doesn’t do away with it.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

jpilot77 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:17 am Thanks for the correction altiplano I though it was 20. A few years ago when the RP course was a lot shorter the amount of training wasn’t very much. But now an RP course is basically a full FO course. So I’m also surprised the company doesn’t do away with it.
No problem.

When the RP position was created it was in condition to be and was a full course and type rating. It also paid well until the PG was brought in When my kids was young I RP'd on the triple for a while just for lifestyle, and it was a complete FO course right up to LIN.

I think it changed under ED, to a short course. and I think MS has brought it back to full type rating and training again - as it should be.

But really, why are we bothering with it? Sure, some day all those seats will be filled again by people no longer on flat pay, but the quality of the operation and the cost savings would be offset.

The company always costs on a relatively short term time horizon. Something like will it pay off over the next 42 months... clearly the answer here is yes.

An example is fuel prices and all the LCC 767s getting winglets while they were in for paint/refit as rouge launched. These winglets at forecast fuel prices were expected to pay for themselves in 42 months, fuel prices went down and then the 767s stopped getting winglets. They probably took 45 months to pay for themselves out something so the cost horizon no longer fit.

The framework MOA handcuffed us, but one thing that's powerful in it is the cost neutral arbitration clause, and we can easily show an arbitrator the cost advantage to the company of eliminating RP positions. Then use that to help on another file. We can't arbitrate pay rates, but we can arbitrate formula pay determination or CA/FO percentages, which then have an affect on pay rates.

Anyway, we'll see where our new NC and leadership goes with it.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How long are new wb fo's on reserve for these days?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Malfunction wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:58 am How long are new wb fo's on reserve for these days?
FO? Probably 5-6 years. Keep in mind you’re going to have lots of guys constantly parachute in above you on every bid.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

IMO your best option as a new hire is the Rouge 767. It's probably the best schedule and funnest layovers at the company. Socialized bidding and no reserve is big. Draft pay is 2.5x! Enjoy your amazing lifestyle for a few years while building seniority and then decide if you want to go NB Captain or WB FO.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Would anyone mind commenting on what the in person interview is like in 2019? I went through it over a decade ago, but just curious what the new format is like.

Thanks in advance.

CJ

21cdnflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 21cdnflyer »

MMPI and TMAAT questions. That’s it.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

21cdnflyer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:01 pm MMPI and TMAAT questions. That’s it.
So at the in person interview they asked if you wanted to be a florist then? :wink:

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

co-joe wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am
21cdnflyer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:01 pm MMPI and TMAAT questions. That’s it.
So at the in person interview they asked if you wanted to be a florist then? :wink:
Or a journalist. ;)

Quick question; What is draft pay?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Draft pay is overtime.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Draft pay is a 50% premium.

Overtime pay is a separate 50% premium for flying above 85 hours.

Some people work extra flying at straight time for some reason...

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

bob99 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm IMO your best option as a new hire is the Rouge 767. It's probably the best schedule and funnest layovers at the company. Socialized bidding and no reserve is big. Draft pay is 2.5x! Enjoy your amazing lifestyle for a few years while building seniority and then decide if you want to go NB Captain or WB FO.
Until the new duty regs come in. Everything that was great about rouge will come to an end.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

mato wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am
bob99 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm IMO your best option as a new hire is the Rouge 767. It's probably the best schedule and funnest layovers at the company. Socialized bidding and no reserve is big. Draft pay is 2.5x! Enjoy your amazing lifestyle for a few years while building seniority and then decide if you want to go NB Captain or WB FO.
Until the new duty regs come in. Everything that was great about rouge will come to an end.
What? Like max duty day to ATH with only 2 guys? Or deep Caribbean turns that Mainline guys would get a layover to do?

Best thing that could happen to ACPA Pilots is LOU74 gets minimized as far as any cost advantage vs Mainline and put away.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 897 »

I did a full FO course for 787 RP and then proceeded to sign it off in my license as 787 - RP. Not sure if they were afraid WJ was going to start poaching guys, this was under MS.

Return to “Air Canada”