King of the Hill

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: King of the Hill

Post by altiplano »

sanjet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm
trey kule wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm Jepps posted:
I did forget to mention job security. Although airlines have failed/furloughed/merged as well, however that risk is much lower.
Really?

With the clarity of today, do you still think the risk is lower?

I heard a rumour (without Any evidence) , that over 30% of the airline pilots in the world today, will go into a different career. If nothing, it should make some think a bit.
I have always decided to have a different investment in something that is completely different from aviation. This should be a wake up call to a lot of us.

I still cannot comprehend pilots that buy shares in the company they work for. You will need that cash in times like these. Been a #1 rule to never invest in your own airline, even with share discounts.
Don't shit where you eat.

I never hold more than a year of ESOP. Get the match, look for an exit and move the money into diversified ETFs. I kicked myself at times as the stock price went up and up, but the strategy has paid off big time on the first down turn.
---------- ADS -----------

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

I did forget to mention job security. Although airlines have failed/furloughed/merged as well, however that risk is much lower.
Really?

I heard a rumour (without Any evidence) , that over 30% of the airline pilots in the world today, will go into a different career. If nothing, it should make some think a bit.
When I wrote that (seems like years ago) it was pretty reasonable.
Then Coronavirus smirked and said, watch this..

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

altiplano wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 pm
sanjet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Really?

I have always decided to have a different investment in something that is completely different from aviation. This should be a wake up call to a lot of us.

I still cannot comprehend pilots that buy shares in the company they work for. You will need that cash in times like these. Been a #1 rule to never invest in your own airline, even with share discounts.
Don't shit where you eat.

I never hold more than a year of ESOP. Get the match, look for an exit and move the money into diversified ETFs. I kicked myself at times as the stock price went up and up, but the strategy has paid off big time on the first down turn.
That’s good advice. I do the same.
They say that the joy you feel when your stock balloons does not nearly compare to the pain you feel when your stock bottoms out.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

FL-200 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm None sense.

I’ve made plenty of money from discounted company shares at the airlines I’ve worked at.

I always recommend people partake in ESOP. Not only is it free money, but all employees should also be owners in the company they work for. ESOP allows us proletariat to benefit from the means of our own production.

However, just because you work for a company doesn’t make that company any more special. You should never let your ESOP take up a disproportionate size of your total net worth. For most of us (myself included) that means selling every year as soon as those free shares vest as using the proceeds to pay down debt, or reinvest in other less risky things.
Nothing wrong with owning a few shares of a company you work for, but there is a limit. Warren Buffet just learned his lesson... again.

Ive been accumulating shares of Walmart, Microsoft, Costco... etc in the last decade. All are still near all times high and I’m earning dividend even in these times.
I don’t need shares of a company I work for to require me to be productive, I get to the gate, follow SOP’s, keep the operation as safe and on time as possible and go home. As I get older, the kool aid days are winding down. Don’t get me wrong, I do have the best job in the world, but as much as you hear the “Win as one” or “Top 10”, you’re just an expense at the end of the day.

It’s all about having a second source of liquidity. Just like flying, have an alternate.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

montado wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm
Found the :bear:

Everyone is an investment expert today. I'm down 300k on my weed stocks... Can't lose of you don't selllllll! To the moon!
I flew with a colleague with a similar situation. I asked him what the PE ratio was of that weed company? He had no idea what I was asking.
That’s when I knew that industry was in a bubble lol

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

sanjet wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am
FL-200 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm None sense.

I’ve made plenty of money from discounted company shares at the airlines I’ve worked at.

I always recommend people partake in ESOP. Not only is it free money, but all employees should also be owners in the company they work for. ESOP allows us proletariat to benefit from the means of our own production.

However, just because you work for a company doesn’t make that company any more special. You should never let your ESOP take up a disproportionate size of your total net worth. For most of us (myself included) that means selling every year as soon as those free shares vest as using the proceeds to pay down debt, or reinvest in other less risky things.
Nothing wrong with owning a few shares of a company you work for, but there is a limit. Warren Buffet just learned his lesson... again.

Ive been accumulating shares of Walmart, Microsoft, Costco... etc in the last decade. All are still near all times high and I’m earning dividend even in these times.
I don’t need shares of a company I work for to require me to be productive, I get to the gate, follow SOP’s, keep the operation as safe and on time as possible and go home. As I get older, the kool aid days are winding down. Don’t get me wrong, I do have the best job in the world, but as much as you hear the “Win as one” or “Top 10”, you’re just an expense at the end of the day.

It’s all about having a second source of liquidity. Just like flying, have an alternate.

Good on ya. I missed the tech boom completely. My flight to safety is a rental house with REITs, banks and index funds.

I’m holding onto my ESOP From last year and continuing to contribute while I’m still employed, we’ll see how that turns out.

Return to “Air Canada”