Boeing Update, for Air Canada Pilots — News and Views

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Boeing Update, for Air Canada Pilots — News and Views

Post by altiplano »

AC will want to extract gains from ACPA to wind up rouge, which they want to do anyway.

It did it's job, created the division with the pilots, and now it's just unnecessary costs.

Duplication of an entire structure is a waste, loss of flexibility costs them, with the new rules (pax and duty) they need everything working together. The mainline contract illegal duty days Rouge did are coming to an end by regulation this year. Delays and cancellations for crew shortages and an absent reserve are getting expensive with the new pax regs.

Despite this, ACPA will sell the farm to get rid of Rouge, but really the best thing they could do is just stay in home.
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

If AC want's reserve at Rouge there's is a simple solution. We already have a contract that has reserve in it.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

derateNO wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:04 pm
If AC want's reserve at Rouge there's is a simple solution. We already have a contract that has reserve in it.
Right. That's what I'm saying, but they will come looking for concessions to get what they want anyway sand ACPA will fall for it.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Well of course they will because everyone in ACPA and the nego committee is senior and doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves and their future 777 CA position.

Maybe it's time everyone who's on flat pay donates their union dues to a charity until the committees that matter start bringing in young blood. No taxation without representation.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

From today’s Wall Street Journal:

FAA Proposes Safety Fix for Another 737 MAX Production Lapse

Boeing says proposal isn’t expected to affect mid-2020 return for the grounded jets

The Federal Aviation Administration is mandating a new round of safety fixes before Boeing Co. BA -4.33% ’s 737 MAX jets can return to the air, this time targeting assembly-line lapses that could result in dual-engine power loss in the event of a lightning strike.

The proposed directive, posted Tuesday on the Federal Register’s website, would require inspecting and fixing a metallic lining that serves as a shield against lightning strikes for engine-control wiring. The FAA said cuts or tears in that aluminum-foil layer, located inside panels that cover engine attachments on the wings, could cause simultaneous loss of thrust in both engines.

The document immediately covers 128 737 MAX jets registered in the U.S., but the FAA said it is applicable to all MAX aircraft assembled so far because the entire fleet “may be affected by the identified unsafe condition.”

A Boeing spokesman said the lightning-protection issues aren’t expected to affect anticipated initial return of the planes around mid-2020. The FAA said it could take an estimated 12 hours of work for mechanics to check and repair the problem on each plane.

The move Tuesday comes after Boeing informed FAA officials that separate inspections have revealed more than two-thirds of undelivered MAX planes have some type of debris in their fuel tanks.

The FAA also is leaning toward requiring Boeing to relocate certain wiring bundles, some of which are located behind the cockpit and under the cabin floor, due to concerns that an electrical short circuit could result in potentially catastrophic flight-control difficulties that pilots would be unable to correct.

------

The hazard stemming from the damaged lightning-protection feature was first reported by the New York Times.

FAA officials recently have shifted part of their focus to delve into production shortcomings, after months working primarily to address design and pilot-training issues related to the MAX. The agency has said FAA inspectors will increase oversight of assembly-line practices after Boeing resumes MAX production.

The agency has said it intends to check the condition and safety compliance of each MAX airliner before permitting it to carry passengers, a change from past practice. Traditionally, the FAA has delegated such approvals to Boeing and intends to continue doing so for planes other than the MAX.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faa-propos ... low_a_pos1

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

ò
derateNO wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:04 pm
AC doesn't give a crap about reserve. Its all about CASM.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Yes, it's all related though with 2.5x draft and pilots making huge overtime checks.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

derateNO wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:20 pm
Well of course they will because everyone in ACPA and the nego committee is senior and doesn't give a shit about anyone but themselves and their future 777 CA position.
You are way off there. This isn't a seniority issue.

The problem is the reps from 3 out of the 4 bases and the minority that drive them because of the apathy of the rest. They hold the voting majority on the seats at the top. <40% of the pilots, most I will give the benefit of the to are possibly tuned out, with 6/11 of the say.

Can't believe the ones falling over themselves to congratulate the CEO yesterday, what an "icon" he was, how "great" he was, how "lucky" we are... fucking embarrassing sycophants. That's your problem right there.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Ok fair enough.

There are a few people in there that I've been impressed with personally. But overall we need a paradigm shift. Also the hierarchy structure is broken within ACPA.

I literally LAUGHED out loud when that guy got up telling CR how amazing he was and iconic.

Like what the @#$!.

The whole road show was a giant propaganda fest, exactly like I expected it to be. The intro from CR going over the slides of how they did so well above what they expected was super tone deaf. So what you're telling me is all the concessions and ten year contract wasn't REALLY needed since at the end of the day everything was all peachy.

How can you tell it's a contract year (even if it's just an opener)? ROADSHOW!

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

From the Globe & Mail:

Transport Canada missed flaws on Boeing 737 Max before clearing it to fly

Transport Canada believed the Boeing 737 Max was safe when the government approved the new plane three years ago, but officials did not closely examine the aircraft’s flawed software before clearing it to fly.

“We felt that that aircraft was safe to fly in Canada,” said Nicholas Robinson, the government’s director-general of civil aviation. “I will say that we have a much greater understanding of some of the key concerns with this aircraft now.”

Mr. Robinson and other officials were testifying on the first day of federal hearings into Canada’s oversight of the 737 Max, two of which crashed in the span of five months, killing 346 people, including 18 Canadians. The hearings are examining Transport Canada’s methods for approving new planes, including a heavy reliance on analysis conducted by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration in the case of the Max.

“We have to pick and choose the areas that we will review,” David Turnbull, Transport Canada’s national aircraft certification director, told the hearings. “It so happened that [the software] was not an area that we delved into in any great depth.

“This is the way, unfortunately, sometimes we learn," he said. “I can assure you if we had any of that knowledge at the time, we would have been digging a lot further."

It was a rare acknowledgement by the regulator that its oversight of the Max was flawed, and that Canada was unaware its system hindered regulators from seeing the aircraft’s deadly problems. One of the new planes crashed in late 2018 in Indonesia, and another in Ethiopia five months later. In both cases, software known as the manoeuvring characteristics augmentation system, or MCAS, designed to stabilize the plane during flight, instead put the aircraft into a deadly nosedive the pilots could not counteract.

Article continues…

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... ing-it-to/

Duke Point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duke Point »

Here we go with Canadian certification and a public inquiry. Under the "waffling" and useless Trudeau regime, don't expect progress.

This thing won't fly this year.

Air Canada should keep a core of about 100 pilots/instructors trained and ready to go. They can sharpen their skills by doubling or tripling their Sim time, while the other 300 should be trained back on any equipment they can hold.

The optics of having a core of "heavily sim trained experts" bring the aircraft back would be beneficial to the public eye, though completely unnecessary in practice, since the damn thing is as fixed as it will ever be.

DP.

Further, IMO, the best idea would be to scrap the 737 from the fleet altogether, sell the fins and the sims. Lease/purchase used 767's/757's or 330's, and a handful of 320's to fill the void while options are considered. Air Canada are experts at keeping older equipment flying.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

derateNO wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 pm
Ok fair enough.

There are a few people in there that I've been impressed with personally. But overall we need a paradigm shift. Also the hierarchy structure is broken within ACPA.

I literally LAUGHED out loud when that guy got up telling CR how amazing he was and iconic.

Like what the @#$!.

The whole road show was a giant propaganda fest, exactly like I expected it to be. The intro from CR going over the slides of how they did so well above what they expected was super tone deaf. So what you're telling me is all the concessions and ten year contract wasn't REALLY needed since at the end of the day everything was all peachy.

I puked a little in my mouth... Whoever that was had their tongue so far up Rovi's a$$, he might actually have been the one that gave Calin's speech.

I don't know how long you've been around, but the paradigm shift was supposed to be underway. Look at the YYZ reps replaced after 2017, N.E. reps ousted, 2 out of 3 N.E. reps are new pension guys, the other is middle seniority. Meanwhile out here in YVR & YUL we acclaim the old guard who will probably be found in management when they finally can't sit in the Union anymore. The MEC chair has put us in a spiral dive.

How many were in the room in YVR? How about the last LCM? What a joke. It's no wonder management doesn't respect us. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who goes to jack off management and doesn't show to the Union meeting too should be sanctioned... 50% union dues on all VO over 80.

Don't be so sure this isn't a full contract year. Both parties can agree to open it up. That benefits the company. I expect pennies above the current picture of what is cost neutral for some significant changes that will pay off big for the company.

Standing by for ATIS update from our Dear Leadership.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

altiplano wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am
derateNO wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 pm
Ok fair enough.

Like what the @#$!.

I puked a little in my mouth... Whoever that was had their tongue so far up Rovi's a$$, he might actually have been the one that gave Calin's speech.

I don't know how long you've been around, but the paradigm shift was supposed to be underway. Look at the YYZ reps replaced after 2017, N.E. reps ousted, 2 out of 3 N.E. reps are new pension guys, the other is middle seniority. Meanwhile out here in YVR & YUL we acclaim the old guard who will probably be found in management when they finally can't sit in the Union anymore. The MEC chair has put us in a spiral dive.

How many were in the room in YVR? How about the last LCM? What a joke. It's no wonder management doesn't respect us. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who goes to jack off management and doesn't show to the Union meeting too should be sanctioned... 50% union dues on all VO over 80.

Don't be so sure this isn't a full contract year. Both parties can agree to open it up. That benefits the company. I expect pennies above the current picture of what is cost neutral for some significant changes that will pay off big for the company.

So all three of us were there. 8)

Yeah it was a bit over the top but he is entitled to his opinion.

But since you were both there? How did you take Calin’s denial the Airbus order article out of Quebec had no truth to it?

Between SEC rules, possible Unknown NDA’s, Boeing ongoing compensation negotiations, his body language if you recall it.

How did you take his words?

Something along the lines of “I can tell you for a fact the article is not accurate.

The wording allows for truth even if the article was 90% accurate.

It was the same as the when are you retiring question. He can’t answer it. In fact up until now he has been using a baseball metaphor to describe his time line. I’m just in the third inning kind of comment. This time none of that.

You have to be able to read between the lines sometimes. Thing is when doing so you are never 100% certain.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

altiplano wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am

I would bet the company pushes for a full reopener.

This latest "market correction" is big leverage for them.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

Take our guaranteed gains and wait until 2020 is the best move ACPA could make. We are at a disadvantage presently with regard to perceptions of current industry events and how AC management will seek to leverage that.

That said, they have billions in the bank, they're spending billions with the Transat acquisition, just spent billions on aeroplan, and generally they are spending like drunk sailors... that is until it's time to pull a few bucks out for the Pilots... then they're all tapped out.

In not falling for it, but I bet a case of beer ACPA will.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

altiplano wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:01 am
Take our guaranteed gains and wait until 2020 is the best move ACPA could make. We are at a disadvantage presently with regard to perceptions of current industry events and how AC management will seek to leverage that.

That said, they have billions in the bank, they're spending billions with the Transat acquisition, just spent billions on aeroplan, and generally they are spending like drunk sailors... that is until it's time to pull a few bucks out for the Pilots... then they're all tapped out.

We are in agreement.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

altiplano wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:01 am

And then we'll somehow fall for the "well we can't give it to you because we can't afford to give it to the FAs too" and end up with nothing. Well Calin, were pilots. They're not. They can fight their me too clauses till their blue in the face for all I care.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

Well I guess you haven't been around AC long enough to know how dysfunctional an airline it was up until about 2015.

When AC was being run by RAM, a self-confessed airline geek, the corp lurched from crisis to crisis.

CAIL takeover, Tech stock meltdown 2000, 911, SARs, bankruptcy, 2008/9 world financial meltdown....

CR raised $1 billion in capital in 2010...do you remember what the world capital markets were like back then??

And it was never going to get better. Did CR and senior execs "f up" the 2012 negots...yep they sure did. And created a lot of ill will.

The corp was able to get rid of the pension liability and secure the pension plans, grow the company, grow the stock price 3800% (or something like that)....

Did CR do that alone? No, but he was the leader who did it. He stuck around (and has been around for 11 years now) and turned the TItanic around before it hit the iceberg. I applaud his work.

But no doubt, you could have done better??

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

It's not a shareholders' meeting. It's a meeting with his most expensive labour group who he sits ACROSS the table from and tries to suppress. You are falling right into it...

You are an adversary to him, he's not your friend, or your advocate, and you're applaud him? It's no wonder we do so poorly contract and contract.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Yeah I'll give credit where credit is due, he did turn the airline around. But he also fucked numerous labor groups in the process.

It very much is an us against them when it comes to anything labor related. I don't care if he makes us 5 billion dollars in profit in a year, unless he shows he is willing to spread the wealth he will always be the enemy.

Duke Point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duke Point »

derateNO wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm
Yeah I'll give credit where credit is due, he did turn the airline around. But he also fucked numerous labor groups in the process.

It very much is an us against them when it comes to anything labor related. I don't care if he makes us 5 billion dollars in profit in a year, unless he shows he is willing to spread the wealth he will always be the enemy.
Exactly.

The MEC's post RAM did nothing but facilitate the decimation of a fairly solid contract. Never a "snap back clause", always give. We have allowed ourselves to become massively fractured as a group, and undone almost all the work done by our comrades who got us to 2003 over the previous 65 odd years. How many Union officials have been rewarded with management positions for helping decimate the contract? That's a violation we should always remember......while we do nothing to stop it.

We have completely lost our way, and have no clue how to get anything without giving up something else. We have "zero sum bargaining" engrained in our DNA now. Every pilot at AC needs an education about what went on over the last 15 years so the constant bleeding will end. I am in fear every time the contract is opened. Fear of what will be forever lost ---- yet again.

Never forget that Calin said ……."go somewhere else if you don't like it here"...... That's distain for an employee group in a pure form. You and I are numbers, a means to an end, like an engine or fuel. Just like an engine or fuel, he will work hard to pay the --lowest possible dollar-- to get the job done.

We would be gone tomorrow if we weren't necessary, and he would --absolutely celebrate-- our departure. That's a fact, and we should all think about that for a moment.

AC pilots are stupid, and deserve what they get. Facilitators, partners, managers. Right. We are TOOLS used to generate value for the shareholder, nothing more, and I mean that literally.

DP.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

Duke Point wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:41 pm
derateNO wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Exactly.

The MEC's post RAM did nothing but facilitate the decimation of a fairly solid contract. Never a "snap back clause", always give. We have allowed ourselves to become massively fractured as a group, and undone almost all the work done by our comrades who got us to 2003 over the previous 65 odd years. How many Union officials have been rewarded with management positions for helping decimate the contract? That's a violation we should always remember......while we do nothing to stop it.

We have completely lost our way, and have no clue how to get anything without giving up something else. We have "zero sum bargaining" engrained in our DNA now. Every pilot at AC needs an education about what went on over the last 15 years so the constant bleeding will end. I am in fear every time the contract is opened. Fear of what will be forever lost ---- yet again.

Never forget that Calin said ……."go somewhere else if you don't like it here"...... That's distain for an employee group in a pure form. You and I are numbers, a means to an end, like an engine or fuel. Just like an engine or fuel, he will work hard to pay the --lowest possible dollar-- to get the job done.

We would be gone tomorrow if we weren't necessary, and he would --absolutely celebrate-- our departure. That's a fact, and we should all think about that for a moment.

AC pilots are stupid, and deserve what they get. Facilitators, partners, managers. Right. We are TOOLS used to generate value for the shareholder, nothing more, and I mean that literally.

DP.
Well said. We are only in his way.

Everyone joining the airline over the past few years would be well to get over the honeymoon quickly and learn the history, learn how much we've lost. With this man ALL we have done is lose. Culture change? New relationship? Just executive-speak for labour being happy with less.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

How many Union officials have been rewarded with management positions for helping decimate the contract? That's a violation we should always remember......while we do nothing to stop it.
I guess you'll be making a motion at the next LEC meeting to have the current CEO of APCA fired since he was a CALPA leader and then became a Sr VP at AC...before he became CEO of ACPA?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

The CEO doesn't make decisions on our behalf. It's largely a figurehead position. Having someone who's worked in management is beneficial to us, just the same way management poaches union guys to work on their site.

If you can't beat em' join em'.

Also, it's fair to mention he was let go from his management position for being too soft towards the pilot group, and was not exactly in good standing with them.

Duke Point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duke Point »

Lt. Daniel Kaffee wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm
How many Union officials have been rewarded with management positions for helping decimate the contract? That's a violation we should always remember......while we do nothing to stop it.
I guess you'll be making a motion at the next LEC meeting to have the current CEO of APCA fired since he was a CALPA leader and then became a Sr VP at AC...before he became CEO of ACPA?
Nope, not me. I've done my share by voting no to every contract that our useless "colluding union" has sold us.

For the most part, guys like me have been silenced by the non-stop "capitulating will" of the majority and a Union that believes they are "partners in the airlines success". I'm outnumbered by sheep, and those colluding to neuter the pilot group permanently, and I know it

We will walk peacefully to the slaughter once again to the mantra, "its the best we can get".

I don't expect anything to change.

DP.

Last edited by Duke Point on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”