Layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Layoffs

Post by RippleRock »

Long time lurker. First post.

I've been at AC for over 20 years.

There is --NO WAY-- CUPE will allow the layoff of half its membership without other employee groups laying-off as well. Remember the B1 fiasco??? Remember the decades of "me too clauses"?

Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. I'm betting we will cut loose 1000-1500 ACPA members within a month.

CUPE will not stand to see half its membership on the street while other groups keeping all their members employed during this downturn.

They were likely promised this already.

Rip.
---------- ADS -----------

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I'm not saying that anything can't happen.

But as per the contract Force Majeure is only in relation to article 1 scope (which includes minimum blocking guarantees). Not block guarantees for the individual but WJA vs NJA and EMJs etc.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:23 pm Long time lurker. First post.

There is --NO WAY-- CUPE will allow the layoff of half its membership without other employee groups laying-off as well. Remember the B1 fiasco??? Remember the decades of "me too clauses"?

Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. I'm betting we will cut loose 1000-1500 ACPA members within a month.

CUPE will not stand to see half its membership on the street while other groups keeping all their members employed during this downturn.

Rip.
The B1 fiasco went nowhere. It was dismissed. To the best of my knowledge there are no more “me-too” clauses in our contracts. It’s costs nothing to lay-off F/A’s. It costs a lot to lay-off pilots. I’m not saying layoffs aren’t coming but it won’t be because another union says so.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

CUPE has absolutely nothing to do with pilot layoffs.

No juice.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:23 pm Long time lurker. First post.

Rip.
I get where you are coming from. How things have worked in the past. But I doubt anyone in their right mind right now would agree to tie their hands in any way, shape, or form. CUPE, none of us to be truthful, are in the drivers seat. They have zero leverage to dictate. Nor do we. AC will do what makes sense for AC. Tomorrow it will change and they will do it again. Full stop.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Only those who have been with the company a long while will understand, its not only an economic decision, but one of optics as well.

If one FA is put out on the street, other employee groups will follow suit.

Watch.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:27 pm Only those who have been with the company a long while will understand, its not only an economic decision, but one of optics as well.

Watch.
While I don’t doubt their will be layoffs in other departments including pilots. Optics will have nothing to do with financial decisions, this will be a ruthless 6-12 months and cost control is the only factor. Only strong balance sheet companies will survive.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

RippleRock wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:27 pm Only those who have been with the company a long while will understand, its not only an economic decision, but one of optics as well.

Watch.
I’m over 20 years as well. I’m not saying there won’t be layoffs. But it won’t be because AC agreed to tie their hands on CUPE demands. That would be outright stupidity right now.

I do think though that unless the event horizon is short it will happen anyway. Right now we don’t know what the event horizon looks like. If Covid19 shows back up in China after reopening the economy all bets are off.

We could see everyone furloughed. Just management to fly a few flights.

In the mean time one day at a time. I think the $$$ value an overall pay cut offers the company, at least in the short term, has the potential to stop furloughs in the short term.

We will see.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

I would hate to see it, but we could easily shed all pilots on flat pay with little $$$ impact downline. If the layoff is less than 24 months, only a 'short course' would be required. Pilots wont be going anywhere, that's for certain.

While economics are certainly foremost on CR's mind, if you've been watching how things are done here, especially during CCAA, you would understand. There's a sense of "socialization, sharing the wealth and pain" that is unique to Canada.

Back in 2003, within two months of us laying off 185+- guys and gals, I watched as greedy dicks did overtime to pick up the shortage. We didn't need to lay off then, but we did anyway. Optics.

Maybe I'm missing something, but with 5100 (That's HALF) FA's joining the EI line, the pilots will not be immune.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Not that I agree with ripplerock but there are FAs on yammer asking where all the other layoffs are and when the pilots will feel the pain. That attitude absolutely exists at the ground level.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Sharklasers wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm Not that I agree with ripplerock but there are FAs on yammer asking where all the other layoffs are and when the pilots will feel the pain. That attitude absolutely exists at the ground level.
Thats because they think they are equal to pilots. Didnt they want raises to match the FOs wage recently?
Most dont even know what the FO does.
" Are you going to be a pilot too? " - Ive heard that one a few times.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Wouldn’t it make sense to shed from the top from a financial and health point of view?

The senior pilots are on the WB, the planes that will be used the least

Which age group is most impacted by this virus?
Which age group is most likely to be hospitalized if they get the virus?
What are the odds of a pilot who actively flies around the world on getting the virus?

Grounding the cheapest pilots in the world seems to me, unlikely. But does it matter, what is the sustainability of an older workforce with a world pandemic?

If a guy gets laid off and has to sit at home and watch this from the sidelines, maybe it is a blessing in disguise

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

Brace for bad news in the next weeks, AC won't carry 4500 pilots for long.... On pure speculations ....despite incentives to retire and reduce hours, I can't see them not laying off probably 1500 pilots.... Rouge gone, 767 mainline gone, E190 gone, even probably 777 parked, Running 787 and Airbuses on essential services for the next year.... :cry: We'll have to face the new reality soon...

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

98 Corolla wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm :lol: Why do I get the impression people are chomping at the bit to see Air Canada pilots get laid off?
I see it too.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Will you feel better about yourself if AC pilots get layoffs too?

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

FL-280 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm Will you feel better about yourself if AC pilots get layoffs too?
No but the math are clear, you don't park up to 175 Airplanes without offloading pilots, I just hope not to be in the numbers... Mainline has 189 and rouge 66.... only 80 frame left flying... How many pilots will be needed ?

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

pilotbzh wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm
FL-280 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm Will you feel better about yourself if AC pilots get layoffs too?
No but the math are clear, you don't park up to 175 Airplanes without offloading pilots, I just hope not to be in the numbers... Mainline has 189 and rouge 66.... only 80 frame left flying... How many pilots will be needed ?
Are the regionals included in the 175 fins?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

bcflyer wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:50 pm
pilotbzh wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm
Are the regionals included in the 175 fins?
No

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whoop_whoop »

flashheart wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm If a guy gets laid off and has to sit at home and watch this from the sidelines, maybe it is a blessing in disguise
I’ve heard that some daycares are turning away children of aircrew because they perceive those kids as high-risk disease carriers!! For those with kids, not working might just make life simpler.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

whoop_whoop wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 am I’ve heard that some daycares are turning away children of aircrew because they perceive those kids as high-risk disease carriers!! For those with kids, not working might just make life simpler.
That’s why the new policy in my home is that no one gets to know my (or my wife’s) profession unless they are legally required to. Also, our travel plans and history will not be divulged to anyone except our closest and most trusted family.

Return to “Air Canada”