Career outlook Starting @30

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Career outlook Starting @30

Post by porcsord »

Have some of you considered that maybe the reason the pandemic doesn't seem so bad is that we have taken drastic steps to prevent it from getting bad?

There is unfortunately no way to test that theory, short of returning to normal and seeing what happens. If we did return to normal and it wasn't as bad as originally thought everybody would be condemning governments and healthcare officials for their over reaction. If it did in fact infect as many people as H1N1 and killed 3-5%.... that would be in the 50-100 millions deaths range and everybody would crucify the healthcare professionals and politicians for not doing enough, and lifting the ban to soon.

Im sure the people making these decisions have friends who not working for three months will bankrupt them, and I'm sure that thought weighs on them with every decision they make.

In summary, it's easy to say we over reacted and that the consequences of our actions are greater than the concequences of no action, but there is no way to prove it. Remember, nobody, and I do mean nobody, wants the economy tanked, foreclosures like we have never seen before, and bankruptcies left right and center, but I would gladly lose my house and all my worldly possessions from hard times if it meant preventing the deaths of millions. Is my financial well being worth more than the life of a person with an underlying health condition or someone who is 60? I don't think so. It's the classic question: would you sacrifice 1 innocent child to cure cancer? How about 10? How about 100,000?

PS
---------- ADS -----------

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

porcsord wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:22 pm Have some of you considered that maybe the reason the pandemic doesn't seem so bad is that we have taken drastic steps to prevent it from getting bad?

There is unfortunately no way to test that theory, short of returning to normal and seeing what happens. If we did return to normal and it wasn't as bad as originally thought everybody would be condemning governments and healthcare officials for their over reaction. If it did in fact infect as many people as H1N1 and killed 3-5%.... that would be in the 50-100 millions deaths range and everybody would crucify the healthcare professionals and politicians for not doing enough, and lifting the ban to soon.

Im sure the people making these decisions have friends who not working for three months will bankrupt them, and I'm sure that thought weighs on them with every decision they make.

In summary, it's easy to say we over reacted and that the consequences of our actions are greater than the concequences of no action, but there is no way to prove it. Remember, nobody, and I do mean nobody, wants the economy tanked, foreclosures like we have never seen before, and bankruptcies left right and center, but I would gladly lose my house and all my worldly possessions from hard times if it meant preventing the deaths of millions. Is my financial well being worth more than the life of a person with an underlying health condition or someone who is 60? I don't think so. It's the classic question: would you sacrifice 1 innocent child to cure cancer? How about 10? How about 100,000?

PS
This post doesn't seem very "practical".

What's stopping you from selling your home, moving to Africa and drilling fresh drinking water wells? How about selling your house and buying medicine for the destitute in India?

Tell you what, I'll take only a 5% premium on your house and all your worldly possessions and see that they go toward saving lives tomorrow. How many I can't guarantee, but I promise you many.

PM me if interested...………...didn't think so.

The cost of this isolation program is IMENSE, both in economic dollars and mental health. We will be adding this up and paying for the way we have mishandled this for decades. You can't ---indefinitely isolate--- the population, people lose hope and confidence rather quickly. There has to be a timeline target that people can get their head around.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

RippleRock wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:37 pm What's stopping you from selling your home, moving to Africa and drilling fresh drinking water wells? How about selling your house and buying medicine for the destitute in India?

Tell you what, I'll take only a 5% premium on your house and all your worldly possessions and see that they go toward saving lives tomorrow. How many I can't guarantee, but I promise you many.

PM me if interested...………...didn't think so.
My own greed mostly. And the fact that I am not currently forced to choose between selling everything and not. Never said it was practical and you are not giving me the choice of "saving millions of lives" in exchange for my worldly possessions. I'm not sure a buck a person or so would save a million lives, and I suspect a random internet person doesn't have the capital to buy me out of my house and everything I own.

PS

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

porcsord wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:22 pm
Is my financial well being worth more than the life of a person with an underlying health condition or someone who is 60? I don't think so. It's the classic question: would you sacrifice 1 innocent child to cure cancer? How about 10? How about 100,000?

PS
Well we are on a roll now why stop? Let’s empower the health sector to go after diabetes and heart disease with the same absolute power next, clearly they are more a threat to boomer immortality than corona. First we can board up all the restaurants then we can have special bylaw officers backed by the military come search our houses for sweets. We should ground all air travel forever, those things crash and kill people too. After all if it saves 1 life it will be worth it.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Porcsord for benevolent king of Kanada - vote for me just once and I promise Kanada will be the richest, safest, bestest country in the world.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

So, this thread was about a dude who was wondering if it was worth it to start a career in aviation at 30....nice drift!

Nicholas96
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nicholas96 »

florch wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:20 am So, this thread was about a dude who was wondering if it was worth it to start a career in aviation at 30....nice drift!
Maybe I should change the title of the topic to corona virus outlook :wink: ..... I don’t mind let them have their fun :D to everybody who replied to the original post I appreciate your input.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

To the OP.

Dude I think it’s the best time to start in this career.
Even with the global pandemic.
Why?
Because right before that the major airlines were hiring like crazy. Those needs haven’t gone completely away but it is on a temporary halt.
Every month there are between 10-20 pilots retiring in Canada. They will need to upgrade people to Captain to fill those spots. Followed by first officers.
Look if money is your priority then no career is as good as owning a profitable business. Even that has no guarantee of succeeding. You might as well do something you love.

Captain Kirk

Return to “Air Canada”