The Return to Normal?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Return to Normal?

Post by bcflyer »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:35 pm My flight home last night was interesting to say the least....

No Social distancing - flight was almost full.

Wearing Masks onboard was mandatory.

Plastic bag with drinks/snacks/fruit placed on each seat. No cabin service of any kind.

Had to fill out a health declaration to be kept on arrival in case it was asked for.

Had to show proof of residency to be able to travel.

Almost everyone was connecting - 10 people at the baggage belt on arrival.

My company has specified we are to position in uniform. I don't wear my ID to indicate I am not on duty and once on board I remove my jacket and put on a sweater so that I am not confused with operating crew. Been doing this off and on for years with zero issues - until last night.

One of the Groundstaff informed me that I would not be allowed to board in uniform. I explained I wasn't wearing ID and would put on a sweater in the cabin. She told me to remove my uniform as this was "Transport Canada regulations". As I had just flown in on another Canadian Airline with no issues I questioned her statement about this being regulations. Like talking to a wall - so I put on a sweater and boarded.

Anyone familiar with the Regulations for travelling in uniform in Canada?

Travelling at the moment is best avoided imho - riskiest part of my job.
I commute in uniform all the time in Canada. On both major airlines (I fly for one of them) as well as multiple smaller companies. There is no TC regulation that I have ever heard of about travelling in uniform. I see pilots and F/A of airlines from around the world commuting or deadheading on us in uniform all the time. Sounds like you ran into an agent who was misinformed. (Or on a power trip.)
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Their is no such regulation. I love when ground staff say things such as this to crew members who have been commuting for ages and operate the planes. I've had a few folks try to quote this, however I knew what they were talking about and was able to quote what the reg actually said. Sure they were pissy about it, but I made it an educational experience.
Eric Janson wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:35 pm
One of the Groundstaff informed me that I would not be allowed to board in uniform. I explained I wasn't wearing ID and would put on a sweater in the cabin. She told me to remove my uniform as this was "Transport Canada regulations". As I had just flown in on another Canadian Airline with no issues I questioned her statement about this being regulations. Like talking to a wall - so I put on a sweater and boarded.

Anyone familiar with the Regulations for travelling in uniform in Canada?

Travelling at the moment is best avoided imho - riskiest part of my job.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

That makes no sense at all and I have never heard of it.

I also commute in uniform because of the LAG restrictions. Part of the rules are once you pass through security in uniform (required to be exempt from LAG) you can not change afterwords.

I would have just complied as well but this individuals rules are conflicting with real rules. Hopefully an actual employee catches this and gets it corrected. Tough on a guest.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 am
pelmet wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 am
ALPApolicy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am “The head of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health believes Norway could have brought the coronavirus pandemic under control without a lockdown, and called for the country to avoid such far-reaching measures if hit by a second wave.”

https://www.thelocal.no/20200522/norway ... alth-chief
Once again Rockie...you are wrong. Now stay in quarantine while we get on with life. Maybe a separate AvCanada forum can be set up for you. The rest of us have a life to live.
Wrong about trusting science over internet trolls?
Once again...it appears that the internet 'trolls' are not as clueless as the scientists and experts we are supposed to trust. Open the economy, don't close it if there is a second wave and quarantine those who should be quarantined...for as long as necessary.

'Transmission of the novel coronavirus by people who aren’t showing symptoms is “very rare,” the World Health Organization said, contradicting a widely held belief among health officials and researchers that the disease was being spread by people who weren’t showing signs of illness.'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... -dhp-feeds

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 pm
Rockie wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 am
pelmet wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 am Once again Rockie...you are wrong. Now stay in quarantine while we get on with life. Maybe a separate AvCanada forum can be set up for you. The rest of us have a life to live.
Wrong about trusting science over internet trolls?
Once again...it appears that the internet 'trolls' are not as clueless as the scientists and experts we are supposed to trust. Open the economy, don't close it if there is a second wave and quarantine those who should be quarantined...for as long as necessary.

'Transmission of the novel coronavirus by people who aren’t showing symptoms is “very rare,” the World Health Organization said, contradicting a widely held belief among health officials and researchers that the disease was being spread by people who weren’t showing signs of illness.'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... -dhp-feeds
Hate to break the news to you but the Who has backtracked on this statement as it almost caused people to act normal. They must have thought we are not ready for normal yet and they clarified the statements in an emergency meeting.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/world ... 2020-06-09

Really the leadership through this "pandemic" has started to wear out.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What's the difference in these statements?

said:
"transmission of the novel strain of coronavirus in those carriers who don't show apparent symptoms were very rare cases"

intended to say:
"asymptomatic transmission is rare globally"

"I was just responding to a question, I wasn't stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that," the health expert was quoted as saying the the New York Times.

Read: She was told to walk back her comment because we destroyed the global economy based on the WHO's BS claims and statements and they look stupid and the politicians are stupid for playing along.

Isolate the sick, isolate the vulnerable.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Hundreds of thousands of people protesting in Canada but kids have to keep 2m playing soccer....gyms are closed....etc ..... Such fkin BS. Our leaders are clueless and taking sporadic decision to apease the complaining mass.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

If we listen to ignorance instead of science we end up drinking bleach. Do what you want but stay away from me, my family and my friends who thankfully are all much smarter than you guys.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

flyinhigh wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:43 am Their is no such regulation. I love when ground staff say things such as this to crew members who have been commuting for ages and operate the planes. I've had a few folks try to quote this, however I knew what they were talking about and was able to quote what the reg actually said. Sure they were pissy about it, but I made it an educational experience.
Would you have a link to the relevant regulation so I can print it out?

I'll add to my increasingly large file of documents that I carry with me.

As I was writing this my Airline just e-mailed me more documents that I need to print out and carry with me on today's flight. <sigh>

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:42 pm Hundreds of thousands of people protesting in Canada but kids have to keep 2m playing soccer....gyms are closed....etc ..... Such fkin BS. Our leaders are clueless and taking sporadic decision to apease the complaining mass.
The Social Justice card is powerful. Questioning anything in the intersectional lived experience agenda means you get cancelled and labeled a racist/transphobe/fascist/etc.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Rockie wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 am If we listen to ignorance instead of science we end up drinking bleach. Do what you want but stay away from me, my family and my friends who thankfully are all much smarter than you guys.
So you’re saying that if Rockie listened to ignorance, even accidentally, Rockie would grab a bottle of bleach and drink it?

You know, that doesn’t surprise me at all.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:02 am
Rockie wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 am If we listen to ignorance instead of science we end up drinking bleach. Do what you want but stay away from me, my family and my friends who thankfully are all much smarter than you guys.
So you’re saying that if Rockie listened to ignorance, even accidentally, Rockie would grab a bottle of bleach and drink it?

Most people recognize ignorance when they see it and steer clear, some more at least have the sense not to act on something they doubt.

Some embrace ignorance. Wallow in it. Are proud of it. These are the people stupid enough to put their hand on a hot stove their whole life and cannot ever be educated. These people need to be marginalized and never placed in a position of power because their ignorance is a danger to life.

Guess who I'm talking about?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

It can’t be denied there is an element of frustration as we move toward the summer months in that people want to get on with their lives, get their jobs back and carry on with normal living. There is associated risk but for some(younger generation), such risk may very well be acceptable to them. I read earlier today American Airlines plan to reinstate 140 narrow body aircraft in order to meet domestic demand , which is a start I suppose. Perhaps things may loosen a bit.
Cheers :drinkers:

Last edited by Old fella on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Rockie wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:38 am
JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:02 am

Most people recognize ignorance when they see it and steer clear, some more at least have the sense not to act on something they doubt.

Some embrace ignorance. Wallow in it. Are proud of it. These are the people stupid enough to put their hand on a hot stove their whole life and cannot ever be educated. These people need to be marginalized and never placed in a position of power because their ignorance is a danger to life.

Guess who I'm talking about?
You sure go on about ignorance and then foolishly claim complete immunity; that your intelligence and that of every single member of your family and inner circle are beyond reproach. Mark Twain had something rather poignant to say about people like you.

You hate Trump. Pay attention: nobody cares. But you can keep saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I say again: nobody cares.

As far as science, you never did respond to the post about lockdown measures resulting in approx. 150k undiagnosed cancer patients walking around unaware, 600% increase in suicide calls. Impoverishing the next generation and scuttling their quality of life. Amongst other things. Signed by 600 doctors. Or perhaps that’s just ignorance.

Coronavirus is not the reason people stay far away from you.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am You hate Trump. Pay attention: nobody cares.
Well there's much to hate about him, like everything, but that wasn't specifically who I was talking about because unfortunately ignorance is not limited to just him. The world is in chaos and people are dying. We are way past the time when we can politely tolerate incompetence, corruption, cowardice and stupidity for the sake of thin-skinned princesses feelings.
JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am As far as science, you never did respond to the post about lockdown measures resulting in approx. 150k undiagnosed cancer patients walking around unaware, 600% increase in suicide calls. Impoverishing the next generation and scuttling their quality of life. Amongst other things. Signed by 600 doctors. Or perhaps that’s just ignorance.
Ah yes, the 600 doctors. The best answer to that is a John Oliver piece on climate change also appropriate here addressing the premise that this is an even debate. It's not. Science is always testing its findings and as more information is learned those findings change. That is much different than a position taken from a layman founded in ignorance, and if somehow through science we end up in the same place as an ignorant position pulled out of someone's ass I'll still take the science route to that conclusion every time.

As science learns so do we. Well, most of us anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Rockie wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 am
JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am You hate Trump. Pay attention: nobody cares.
Well there's much to hate about him, like everything, but that wasn't specifically who I was talking about because unfortunately ignorance is not limited to just him. The world is in chaos and people are dying. We are way past the time when we can politely tolerate incompetence, corruption, cowardice and stupidity for the sake of thin-skinned princesses feelings.
JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 am As far as science, you never did respond to the post about lockdown measures resulting in approx. 150k undiagnosed cancer patients walking around unaware, 600% increase in suicide calls. Impoverishing the next generation and scuttling their quality of life. Amongst other things. Signed by 600 doctors. Or perhaps that’s just ignorance.
Ah yes, the 600 doctors. The best answer to that is a John Oliver piece on climate change also appropriate here addressing the premise that this is an even debate. It's not. Science is always testing its findings and as more information is learned those findings change. That is much different than a position taken from a layman founded in ignorance, and if somehow through science we end up in the same place as an ignorant position pulled out of someone's ass I'll still take the science route to that conclusion every time.

As science learns so do we. Well, most of us anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg
Still not getting it. Ad hominem attacks, again. Yawn. Boring, predictable and irrelevant. Surprising, given the superior level of intelligence you’re able to employ.

You say you’re a genius. Are you a stable genius? You know, they say the things you despise about other people are the things you hate most about yourself. I’m starting to see similarities between you and someone else.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 am You say you’re a genius. Are you a stable genius?
I'm wondering in what universe besides yours "I listen to experts and trust science over internet trolls" equals "I'm a genius".

They aren't ad hominem attacks either, I openly attack stupidity wherever I see it these days because as I said some kinds of stupidity cannot be educated. Arguing just becomes futile. Would you waste time arguing with someone convinced the world is flat?

Last edited by Rockie on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

In 2015 there were 1.1 million doctors in the U.S, 600 is 0.00054%, far cry from a consensus. They must be the cream of the crop to put so much weight on their opinion.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 pm In 2015 there were 1.1 million doctors in the U.S, 600 is 0.00054%, far cry from a consensus. They must be the cream of the crop to put so much weight on their opinion.
Ummmm. Were all 1.1 million consulted and officially documented on their position on the lockdown consequences. Thanks for those very useful numbers you provided, however irrelevant they may be. To have 600 professionals go out of their way and come together in agreement like that is actually formidable. Try getting 600 professional Avcanadian pilots to officially agree on any single thing. How about this: let’s try addressing the message rather than the ‘ignorant’ medical doctors delivering it. Why are the lives of unwitting cancer victims or depressed people committing self harm or the newest members of the workforce plunged into un/underemployment due to the singular focus on Covid 19, expendable?

Please, name the greater evil.

Return to “Air Canada”