Cargo TA

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cargo TA

Post by BTD »

And here is an interesting one on Infection fatality rate, quietly dropped on the WHO website with no fan fare, that has been peer reviewed.

BLT.20.265892.pdf
(858.21 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Good links BTD.

BUT THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA AREN'T INTERESTED IN IT.

The critical thinker would wonder why that is... meanwhile the sheep fall in line.

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

ayseven wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:34 pm Against my better judgment, I will respond to the guy who is obviously pretty upset against the very people that pay his salary when they fly. Strange behaviour. As if we do not have choices in how we travel... I am very happy your attitude towards people, is in the minority at the people's airline.

Virus behaviour? Well, just keep away from me and everyone I care about, and everyone they come in contact with, and I don't mind what you do. The anger here is completely misdirected. Do you have loved ones?

I did not ever work for this government, or any government, but for myself, once I realised that flying for a living wasn't ever going to pay. As someone told me once, nobody owes me a living. I listened to that. Was it hard? Yes. Does anybody care? No.

Just hang in there and stop raising your blood pressure. It leads to bad things. Be nice to yourselves.
Good Morning ! First off I don’t work with as you Say The PEOPLES AIRLiNE ! Yet! Figure it out? That was just A small rant FYI ! If you feel It’s strange behaviour maybe you need to read your posts again or better yet Pop on a mask and take a walk thru the airport in your town! When a Govt imposes Restrictions AKA 14 day Quarantine and publicly advises people not to travel They have basically Tied the hands of the airline industry behind their Backs ! So should their be assistance ? 110 per cent! When the PM tosses out 9 Billion dollars for Students in this country and ignores thousands of High paying tax payers and the 1000s of spin of jobs his notttttt doing his job! Feel free to post as you wish but Please know that in our industry the Suffering right now is Beyond anything you can imagine so be prepared to take it on The chin! Merry Christmas and think of Those airline employees and their families whose future is very uncertain In these trying times!

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I really don’t understand the reaction Canadians have toward aid for airlines. There is a lot of misinformation out there in regards to “past bailouts” which to the best of my knowledge never happened. The current government has been throwing money around in a strategic way, effectively buying votes, and it’s not hard to see how Trudeau is using the refund issue in the same manner, he is appeasing to the vocal masses. Airlines, like other industries and individual Canadian’s contribute to the bottom line of this country and should be afforded equally, some level of support during turbulent times. It’s not hard to find a list of industries that have received government support in the past, why are we balking now for the airlines? Are they not as deserving as the auto industry? The oil industry? Or even individual Canadian’s through CERB/CEWS? Why are they being made a pariah?

If we truly are in this together ... let’s start acting like it.

My 2 cents.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

altiplano wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:37 pm Good links BTD.

BUT THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA AREN'T INTERESTED IN IT.

The critical thinker would wonder why that is... meanwhile the sheep fall in line.
The real problem is that we are only as strong as our weakest link. In this case the weakest link is hospital capacity. Until that pressure is released the lockdowns won’t stop. In fact I think we are just on the cusp of much stricter lockdowns.

The good news however is that as we vaccinate the most at risk the pressure on hospitals eases fast. In the US and the UK that will be only a couple of months from now. Our problem in Canada is we won’t have vaccinated the most at risk until June. That means between now and then, during peak transmission time, we have a serious problem to manage.

But we are almost at the finish line. Darkest before dawn.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Localizer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:49 am I really don’t understand the reaction Canadians have toward aid for airlines. There is a lot of misinformation out there in regards to “past bailouts” which to the best of my knowledge never happened. The current government has been throwing money around in a strategic way, effectively buying votes, and it’s not hard to see how Trudeau is using the refund issue in the same manner, he is appeasing to the vocal masses. Airlines, like other industries and individual Canadian’s contribute to the bottom line of this country and should be afforded equally, some level of support during turbulent times. It’s not hard to find a list of industries that have received government support in the past, why are we balking now for the airlines? Are they not as deserving as the auto industry? The oil industry? Or even individual Canadian’s through CERB/CEWS? Why are they being made a pariah?

My 2 cents.
I think the problem is the strings attached from the government. Remember this government’s mantra is to build back better, build back green. Carbon comes out the back of aircraft tailpipes. The transportation industry was identified as a place to target to meet the Paris accord targets.

I think the government is simply trying to use the situation to shrink the industry. The best way to do that is undo their economy of scale which has lowered the cost of travel. As airlines shrink costs increase. As costs increase fares go up. As fares go up less people can afford to travel. As less people travel airlines shrink. And so on.

It won’t actually work as other airlines from other countries will simply fill the void. Our Airlines will simply be unable to compete. But our countries carbon numbers will be better.

Very narcissistic people have a way of magical thinking.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I think the problem is the strings attached from the government. Remember this government’s mantra is to build back better, build back green. Carbon comes out the back of aircraft tailpipes. The transportation industry was identified as a place to target to meet the Paris accord targets.
Ah, I do remember that mantra .. I can’t help but chuckle when you think about the rich people flying their private jets (300 roughly) to Italy, and have a consortium about climate change and how there elitism would “help” the planet.

Didn’t Trudeau require, not one but two aircraft for his last PM run? So green!

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Localizer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:53 am
Ah, I do remember that mantra .. I can’t help but chuckle when you think about the rich people flying their private jets (300 roughly) to Italy, and have a consortium about climate change and how there elitism would “help” the planet.

Didn’t Trudeau require, not one but two aircraft for his last PM run? So green!
Are you against zoos? They keep animals in captivity but their existence means a lot more people care about animals in general

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Localizer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:49 am I really don’t understand the reaction Canadians have toward aid for airlines. There is a lot of misinformation out there in regards to “past bailouts” which to the best of my knowledge never happened. The current government has been throwing money around in a strategic way, effectively buying votes, and it’s not hard to see how Trudeau is using the refund issue in the same manner, he is appeasing to the vocal masses. Airlines, like other industries and individual Canadian’s contribute to the bottom line of this country and should be afforded equally, some level of support during turbulent times. It’s not hard to find a list of industries that have received government support in the past, why are we balking now for the airlines? Are they not as deserving as the auto industry? The oil industry? Or even individual Canadian’s through CERB/CEWS? Why are they being made a pariah?

My 2 cents.
The answer is simple. Sadly.

Why are we NOT the world leaders in aerospace, ethical and emission reducing oil production, pharmaceuticals, auto production, technology and so much more. We had world leading companies in all these industries and we either let them fail, be taken over, taxed and regulated them to death and in some cases actually killed them ourselves!!

In Canada the majority of Canadians are anti business. We love our social programs but don’t understand or don’t care how and what actually pays for them all. We have a good work ethic but are happy to let others do the heavy lifting. We are passionate about little more than hockey, our “free” (and mediocre) healthcare system and reminding the world how “good” and “virtuous” we are.

The COVID-19 response was point for point the way we do things in Canada. Government regulations, “free” money and letting businesses fail. Junior wants to build back greener and better but what will end up happening is we’ll be smaller and weaker.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Our market is small, therefore prices are always going to be higher than in the US or the UK for that matter. Add a bit of tax, and as consumers, we are feeling ripped off. Business needs customers, and we never have enough of those. Also, some businesses are protected by Canadian distributors, so we can't even buy things at the price other countries' pay online. How many times do you see "cannot ship to Canada" when shopping online? Musical instruments, and sports equipment both fall into this category. This collusion does not help the consumer, but there are a small few with big buying power, and the rest of them get along with full wholesale price.

If you are big enough, you might get some protection from government policy ("if we don't get help, we will leave, and so will the jobs"), otherwise, you are on your own, and placed in a very uncompetitive environment. Nobody cares if you only employ 1 or 2 people, and right now, I hesitate to count how many small businesses are no more due to the pandemic. How can a big airline with loaded coffers going to justify any sort of bailout with all the other people suffering too?

If Air Canada is going to shut its doors, the government might listen, otherwise, it is not likely to do anything significant. No easy answers out there unfortunately, and somebody, somewhere is always going to be unhappy. The pond is full of dying fish, not just the big ones.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

ayseven wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:39 am Our market is small, therefore prices are always going to be higher than in the US or the UK for that matter. Add a bit of tax, and as consumers, we are feeling ripped off. Business needs customers, and we never have enough of those. Also, some businesses are protected by Canadian distributors, so we can't even buy things at the price other countries' pay online. How many times do you see "cannot ship to Canada" when shopping online? Musical instruments, and sports equipment both fall into this category. This collusion does not help the consumer, but there are a small few with big buying power, and the rest of them get along with full wholesale price.

If you are big enough, you might get some protection from government policy ("if we don't get help, we will leave, and so will the jobs"), otherwise, you are on your own, and placed in a very uncompetitive environment. Nobody cares if you only employ 1 or 2 people, and right now, I hesitate to count how many small businesses are no more due to the pandemic. How can a big airline with loaded coffers going to justify any sort of bailout with all the other people suffering too?

If Air Canada is going to shut its doors, the government might listen, otherwise, it is not likely to do anything significant. No easy answers out there unfortunately, and somebody, somewhere is always going to be unhappy. The pond is full of dying fish, not just the big ones.
Good comments, well put together and I agree with your viewpoint.

TCAS II
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TCAS II »

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »