US European ban lifting?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

US European ban lifting?

Post by GoHomeLeg »

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/52748 ... ban-report

This could be a boost for Air Canada's international market between the Americas and Europe. Lots of travelers connecting through YYZ, YUL, and YVR on AC.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: US European ban lifting?

Post by fish4life »

A) You still need to enter Canada and clear Canadian customs which right now would not be allowed
B) isn’t the US on most of Europe’s non safe country list anyway?

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

fish4life wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 pm A) You still need to enter Canada and clear Canadian customs which right now would not be allowed
I see. Didn't know that. I've been doing a normal hamster wheel job and have lost track of what travel restrictions are in place.

Cheers

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

fish4life wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 pm A) You still need to enter Canada and clear Canadian customs which right now would not be allowed
I thought one could be 'in transit' at YYZ without having to clear customs.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Not sure why this will help.

From the Dutch Government travel website:-
You are strongly advised not to travel to the Netherlands unless it is strictly necessary. The borders remain open.
The second wave of COVID infections is out of control.

On December 01 all bars, restaurants and clubs will be closed. No re-opening date.

Arrival from N America means a 10 day self Quarantine.

The rest of Europe is a similar situation - unless it's one-way why would you travel?

My personal view is that there won't be any significant change to the current situation in the next 12 months.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 am Not sure why this will help.

From the Dutch Government travel website:-
You are strongly advised not to travel to the Netherlands unless it is strictly necessary. The borders remain open.
The second wave of COVID infections is out of control.

On December 01 all bars, restaurants and clubs will be closed. No re-opening date.

Arrival from N America means a 10 day self Quarantine.

The rest of Europe is a similar situation - unless it's one-way why would you travel?

My personal view is that there won't be any significant change to the current situation in the next 12 months.
To post pictures on instagram!?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Some real world experience:-

I just flew back as a passenger from Australia via Doha.

-I did a COVID Test - got a printed copy of the result on the day of travel (mandatory for entry into some countries).
-Traveled in Uniform at the request of my company.
-Travel from the apartment to the airport required wearing of gloves and a mask (company policy).
-Masks mandatory at the airport (origin and destination).
-Airline issued everyone with a face shield which had to be worn on board along with the mask (except when eating).
-Health declaration had to be filled out for destination (as if anyone is going to answer 'YES'....).
-Several extra checks at destination (passport in the aerobridge and health forms at the end of the gate area).
-Social distancing is completely ignored when boarding is announced.
-Cabin crew wearing PPE the entire flight.

The only positive aspects to this experience were the lack of passengers at airports and on the flight meaning a short wait at Immigration and at the baggage belt.

I still regard positioning as the most risky thing I do as I cannot control my exposure to others.

I don't see things changing anytime soon.

I don't believe the Airline made any money operating these flights so the question is how much longer will this continue? Even Qatar doesn't have unlimited funds to pour into their Airline.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Another update:-
Negative PCR test declaration also required for travel by international coach, train and ship
News item | 24-12-2020 | 17:54

The government decided today that from 29 December anyone travelling to the Netherlands by train, coach or ship from abroad must have a negative test declaration. From 00:01 on 29 December rail and coach companies offering international public passenger transport will impose this requirement on all passengers. The negative PCR test must have been conducted no more than 72 hours before the passenger’s arrival in the Netherlands. The negative test is an additional requirement and not a substitute for the guideline applying to all passengers to self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival. The government continues to urge everyone to refrain from non-essential travel and to comply with the hygiene and quarantine guidelines.
This is increasingly the case throughout Europe.

I had to do a PCR test so I can travel home tomorrow.

Test is done in an Airport terminal that has been closed. It is open to the general public.

There were 3 lines and it was really busy.

- A line to buy the test. This line ran outside the building with people standing in the rain waiting.
- A line for those who had bought/booked a test. Personal details checked and a test kit handed out.
- A line for those waiting for a test after completing one or both of the previous steps.

Process took 90 minutes and that is with a pre-booked and paid test appointment.

Floor marked to keep 1.5m spacing for people in the lines.

Not great if you are trying to avoid crowded places and being in close proximity to others.

I feel for the Crewing department - dealing with multiple, continuously changing requirements while trying to get crew to the aircraft and home again.

Return to “Air Canada”