Federal Funding On its way?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Federal Funding On its way?

Post by Transition9er2 »

Looks like Bloomberg is reporting a multi-billion financial package on its way very soon.

They name AC specifically, but I imagine this is for the entire airline sector.

Certainly hope this is some of the good news we’ve all been waiting for!

https://twitter.com/bnnbloomberg/status ... 89474?s=21

T.
---------- ADS -----------

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Federal Funding On its way?

Post by Hangry »

WJ didn’t want any.

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

i said this would happen 8)
Hangry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm WJ didn’t want any.
maybe some complication if they are buying transit?

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

They name AC specifically, but I imagine this is for the entire airline sector.
It sure as hell better be.....

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

I find it absolutely staggering how against funding for the airline industry the public seems to be. Granted, I only have anecdotal evidence but one just has to take a look at the replies to that tweet to get a glimpse. People seriously don't want a single tax dollar going to AC or any other carrier.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

scdriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm I find it absolutely staggering how against funding for the airline industry the public seems to be. Granted, I only have anecdotal evidence but one just has to take a look at the replies to that tweet to get a glimpse. People seriously don't want a single tax dollar going to AC or any other carrier.
The government has done a good job of making us look like the badguys

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

scdriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm I find it absolutely staggering how against funding for the airline industry the public seems to be. Granted, I only have anecdotal evidence but one just has to take a look at the replies to that tweet to get a glimpse. People seriously don't want a single tax dollar going to AC or any other carrier.
everyone loves to hate on air canada! and they be happy with tax dollars being wasted on much stupider things and to trudeaus pals

dhc2pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dhc2pilot »

Yeah but let’s give all the lazy crack heads $2000 a month during COVID. My grandchildren will be paying off Trudeau’s free giveaways

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

redbusdriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:01 pm
everyone loves to hate on air canada! and they be happy with tax dollars being wasted on much stupider things and to trudeaus pals
Yep, and I'm sure the average taxpayer does not realize the air transport industry contributes $62 BILLION to Canadian GDP and supports hundreds of thousands of jobs directly and indirectly. But screw airlines right they just charge me too much for my bags.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Any word yet as to weather furloughed pilots will finally get wage subsidy?

I honestly can’t believe your group do not have access to this help!

T.

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

Hi.

(Long time reader, first time poster).

I'm curious as to how this will impact regional flying and how will Air Canada delegate that?

One of the conditions for the loan was the restart of previously suspended / canceled regional routes. It was hard to understand some points, due to poor French to English translation on CTV news, but from what I understood:

Some regional routes will be flown by "Air Canada" (aka Jazz), while others, Air Canada will have the option to work with other airlines to restart these routes.

Will there be a new regional carrier contracted out? (Maybe Provincial Air Lines?)

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

dhc2pilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm My grandchildren will be paying off Trudeau’s free giveaways
To give you an idea of the competence of this government, this was in the newspaper today:

"The Canadian cabinet is devoid of representatives from the critically important sectors of oil and gas, mining, technology, manufacturing, agriculture, export, science, construction, engineering, retail or finance. It lacks anyone knowledgeable about economics, geopolitics, innovation, entrepreneurship, innovation, or future trends.

For instance, the Prime Minister of Canada was a teacher and snowboard instructor; the current finance minister is a journalist who’s also burdened with other portfolios; the health minister is a graphic designer; the procurement minister, a law professor; the foreign minister, an astronaut; the minister of natural resources, a self-described TV “personality”; the minister of agriculture, a campground proprietor and so on."

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Dh8Classic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 pm
dhc2pilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm My grandchildren will be paying off Trudeau’s free giveaways
To give you an idea of the competence of this government, this was in the newspaper today:

"The Canadian cabinet is devoid of representatives from the critically important sectors of oil and gas, mining, technology, manufacturing, agriculture, export, science, construction, engineering, retail or finance. It lacks anyone knowledgeable about economics, geopolitics, innovation, entrepreneurship, innovation, or future trends.

For instance, the Prime Minister of Canada was a teacher and snowboard instructor; the current finance minister is a journalist who’s also burdened with other portfolios; the health minister is a graphic designer; the procurement minister, a law professor; the foreign minister, an astronaut; the minister of natural resources, a self-described TV “personality”; the minister of agriculture, a campground proprietor and so on."
And the budget will balance itself! :roll: As a Country, we are sooo fucked! Thanks Trudeau, for screwing up the vaccines procurement...you asshole!

Keep the dirty side down.
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

I read that article earlier today and it sounded so ridiculous I didn’t actually believe it...I’ve never wished I lived in the US but it certainly has its benefits right about now

NortherGoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NortherGoose »

So is this still a topic about the Federal Aid Package discussion or is it just another topic for people to whine about liberals and Trudeau? Yes it is Trudeau and the Liberals that are in power and have provided this package but it still has some interesting topics within it to be discussed without mentioning drama teacher. The Equity stake in the airline is an interested one and the first of its kind in what 30 years?

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Transition9er2 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:32 pm Any word yet as to weather furloughed pilots will finally get wage subsidy?

I honestly can’t believe your group do not have access to this help!

T.
We do not.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cabinet shouldn’t have “representatives” from industries. Cabinet is for politicians, elected on the basis of beliefs and (hopefully) good judgement, not for being subject matter experts. You might feel that individuals in the government that lack judgment or general skills, but the health minister doesn’t have to be a doctor, the finance minister doesn’t have to be an economist, etc. Nor has it ever been thus.

Most successful politicians spend the majority of their career being politicians, so what they did outside politics twenty years prior to reaching positions of authority is typically pretty junior.

That’s the way democracy works out.

Stephen Harper didn’t do anything at all before entering politics, did he?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

NortherGoose wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:20 pm So is this still a topic about the Federal Aid Package discussion or is it just another topic for people to whine about liberals and Trudeau? Yes it is Trudeau and the Liberals that are in power and have provided this package but it still has some interesting topics within it to be discussed without mentioning drama teacher. The Equity stake in the airline is an interested one and the first of its kind in what 30 years?

Government involvement is concerning. I agree! The other piece I’m a little confused over is the carbon emissions and Net Zero commitment. Because this loan was issued under the LEEF program there’s some clear language in the program regarding a commitment to net zero or something along those lines. As an airline, I’m not sure how this makes sense... not to mention if Government now has a stake in the company, are they going to force this piece aggressively in the future? And to someone’s point above, if there’s no real education or understanding on these types of impacts to a business from the governments side, how does AC protect themselves in the future from negative business implications?

T.

Monkey_in_a_suit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Monkey_in_a_suit »

[/quote]
Stephen Harper didn’t do anything at all before entering politics, did he?
[/quote]

Except get a Masters degree in Economics but I guess we won't talk about that.

Return to “Air Canada”