jazz FO

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: jazz FO

Post by Old fella »

At least you can take a decent piss in the EMB can, something that is quite difficult in a CRJ-200. Don't think the travelling public gives a rats ass who operates what............ just get us threre with minium delay, affordable fares(enough included so you can make a profit) and don't loose our baggage.

:wink:
---------- ADS -----------

Chuck Yeagermister
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Yeagermister »

I agree with PC12Flyer 100%. Jazz getting EMBs then doing the flying at sub pair wages is only adding to the destruction of the profession. Why dont ppl see this, look at the United States.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

. Yeagermister wrote:I agree with PC12Flyer 100%. Jazz getting EMBs then doing the flying at sub pair wages is only adding to the destruction of the profession. Why dont ppl see this, look at the United States.
+99999

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I agree with PC12Flyer 100%. Jazz getting EMBs then doing the flying at sub pair wages is only adding to the destruction of the profession. Why dont ppl see this, look at the United States.
Isn't the opposite true aswell? .. Shouldn't something be done to help the Jazz pilots get there wages up? Or is that a "taboo" suggestion? We bitch when something might affect us .. but then tell the other guys that its tough luck and there's nothing we can do about it. Sheesh ... all about me syndrome ... hope they find a cure for that one day.

:roll:

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Jazz pilots have a simple way of raising their wages, the same way every single AC pilot raised theirs; apply at a company that pays more! This notion that AC pilots are somehow spawned at the bottom of the list is pretty ignorant. I was working at a tier III regional prior to AC, I didn't want to be there for life, so I applied somewhere that offered better conditions. Really, it is that basic.

PC12 driver you got it figured.

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

Oh man! Apply to Air Canada!

I wish the rest of us had thought of that!!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Is it true they dumped their entire hiring board due to too much preferential hiring? Im going to apply too, I need a raise! lol

Let’s Go Brandon
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Jazz pilots have a simple way of raising their wages, the same way every single AC pilot raised theirs; apply at a company that pays more! This notion that AC pilots are somehow spawned at the bottom of the list is pretty ignorant. I was working at a tier III regional prior to AC, I didn't want to be there for life, so I applied somewhere that offered better conditions. Really, it is that basic.

PC12 driver you got it figured.
Everyone is fighting for their piece of the pie .. you can't blame Jazz pilots for trying to gain more flying hence more security. Then again you can't blame AC pilots for trying to do the same thing. There is this so called sense of "entitlement" on both sides. Nobody is entitled to shit on either side.

Maybe coming to an understanding and finding common ground would be the smartest course of action instead of putting on the gloves and waiting for the bell to ring. CR is sitting ring-side waiting to see what we hammer out. Both sides could save current wages and maybe improve others if both ... I was going to say teams ... but we should all be on the same team ie "pilot team" instead of hunkering back in our little "company tribes", could have an open line of communication. (for those that like to read into things ... I am not leading to or trying to bring up GS ...)

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Localizer wrote:
Isn't the opposite true aswell? .. Shouldn't something be done to help the Jazz pilots get there wages up? Or is that a "taboo" suggestion? We bitch when something might affect us .. but then tell the other guys that its tough luck and there's nothing we can do about it. Sheesh ... all about me syndrome ... hope they find a cure for that one day.

:roll:

Jazz pilots are free to negotiate their own wages. They are also free to leave and work elsewhere if they choose. Jazz is now a separate company and may be able to expand outside of the confines of the ACPA scope clause. I for one, wish that every Jazz pilot could negotiate a 100% wage increase because they are worth it.

Having said that, the wage increase will never happen so long as they are willing to do other peoples work for less. This is the only way the Embraer will end up there and will only serve to reduce their income and that of others. Just imagine, Jazz ALPA shows up at Westjet's head office and says " Hey Sean, we will fly your 737's for 25% less than your guys do now." They have a term for that, I believe it is called prostitution.

Now imagine, some jerk has the balls to sit in a Westjet flight deck and announce that that is exactly what they intend to do. Doing it at Air Canada is no different and the small minority of guys who have been doing this only serve to give Jazz a bad rap within the industry.

So no, it is not a taboo subject when it comes to getting the wages up at Jazz but it is taboo to try and steal the food from someone elses table.

Standby for new atis message
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I don't agree with what this F/O did, there is no place for crap like this in the flight deck. As a commuter who needs the jumpseat on occassion, this is not reflective of the majority. That being said there's a small group at AC that believe Jazz should not have any jets at all. There's even what I hope to be a small group that won't acknowledge a jazz pilot at all. I was told about the AC pilots that will wait too say hi until they can read whether your hat says Jazz or not. I didn't believe it until I experienced 1st hand on a few occasions. Whats with that?? I have no history, the 1st time this happened I was less than 3 months on-line. My point is politics go both ways and a small minority can make an entire group appear to be childish and selfish. I'm not saying that's how I feel today, but at the time when this occurred, I wondered if it was the majority that acted this way. I know now it's not

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Jazz pilots are free to negotiate their own wages. They are also free to leave and work elsewhere if they choose. Jazz is now a separate company and may be able to expand outside of the confines of the ACPA scope clause. I for one, wish that every Jazz pilot could negotiate a 100% wage increase because they are worth it.
True, they are and they can. They can basically negotiate whatever they want .. really. They could negotiate an 190 payscale or hell even a 319/20/21 payscale. There is nothing to say scope will stay intact once CR gets to the table. Really everything is up in the air .. as much as we'd like to speculate the future.
Having said that, the wage increase will never happen so long as they are willing to do other peoples work for less. This is the only way the Embraer will end up there and will only serve to reduce their income and that of others. Just imagine, Jazz ALPA shows up at Westjet's head office and says " Hey Sean, we will fly your 737's for 25% less than your guys do now." They have a term for that, I believe it is called prostitution.
They're not doing other peoples work for less pay. They are the highest paid Dash 8 drivers that I know of. So you can't call them prostitutes when they are operating their equipment at above industry standard. The RJ pay may be a bit on the low side but that is because they utilize the status pay system. They do seem to run efficiently .. No type jumping and they keep there training cost down. It just makes smart business sense.
Now imagine, some jerk has the balls to sit in a Westjet flight deck and announce that that is exactly what they intend to do. Doing it at Air Canada is no different and the small minority of guys who have been doing this only serve to give Jazz a bad rap within the industry.
I don't argue that this guy is a moron, and I don't argue its disrespectful to tell someone that you are going to take there job .. especially when you are allowing the fella a ride home in the jumpseat.
So no, it is not a taboo subject when it comes to getting the wages up at Jazz but it is taboo to try and steal the food from someone elses table.
Jaques .. everyone is guilty of trying to steal food off each others plate. That goes both ways in this story.

So like I said before ... maybe the two MEC's will find some balance somewhere and have an open line of communication to serve everyones interest. Its like a step-brother .. love'm or hate'm, but you gotta live with'm, so make the best of it.

Cheers!

JazzJetDriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JazzJetDriver »

"I was told about the AC pilots that will wait too say hi until they can read whether your hat says Jazz or not."

Tell them they are going to give themselves eye-strain doing that. Most of the Jazz guys now have big red straps around their crew bags so as to make it easier for those pricks.

JazzJetDriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JazzJetDriver »

Jaques Strappe said, "Having said that, the wage increase will never happen so long as they are willing to do other peoples work for less."

You obviously ain't been around this here aviation business too long. Isn't that exactly what the AC pilots did when they 'stole' the RJ's from the regionals.? I remember it well, ask Gary Dean et al.

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

Massey1, I'm a Jazz F/O based in YVR. As a commuter living in YUL, I can fully appreciate the value of jumpseating. Although I'm not on our jumpseat committee and although I have no idea who this particular person is, I still hold my head down in shame. It only takes one to ruin it for everyone else! I don't know where this person got their information from, but thats not even the point here. The point is, don't bring that kind of attitude on the flightdeck with you when people are being so kind to you. I can recall a number of times due to loads, when being able to travel in the flightdeck has saved me from otherwise being stuck. I guess I have a different way of looking at things because whenever I'm able to sit in the flightdeck, I spare no effort in showing my appreciation. In fact, last week I had to sit in the flightdeck of a 777 from YYZ to YVR. During that flight, I was chatting with the crew about this very topic, jumpseating. I told them about a time last year in YVR, when an Air Canada Captain had approached me in the boarding area, asking for the jumpseat to YLW. Knowing that the flight was full and knowing what its like to be a commuter, I went out to the airplane and quickly got to work crunching numbers and doing everything I could to make certain that we could take our guest. We finally got him onboard and when he came into the flightdeck, he shook my hand and said "thanks for all your efforts". I quickly replied by saying "We're both members of the same family, the Air Canada family, and I will always do everything I can to help out a family member" Thats just my way of thinking. I'm an old school kind of guy and even though I know we are two completely separate companies, I have always looked upon Air Canada and Jazz as being one family. Its all about attitude. And having a good attitude is contageous. If you have a good attitude with others, they will do the same with you. We're all running the same race, so instead of trying to trip each other, lets help each other. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I hope one person's conduct won't ruin things for everyone else. So as many of my collegues have already done, I'm apologizing on behalf of this person.

Lets work together everyone!

Cheers
Cool Rythms! :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

And while we are on this topic, I would like to say THANK YOU once more to the many Air Canada crews who have taken me in the flightdeck over the past year and a half, since I've been at Jazz.

Cheer once again...

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

JazzJetDriver wrote:Jaques Strappe said, "Having said that, the wage increase will never happen so long as they are willing to do other peoples work for less."

You obviously ain't been around this here aviation business too long. Isn't that exactly what the AC pilots did when they 'stole' the RJ's from the regionals.? I remember it well, ask Gary Dean et al.
Yeah ok Jet driver

I happened to be at the connectors before the RJ was ever around. I was flying the grandfathered BAe 146's at the time. I say grandfathered because there was a scope clause for no jets at the connector except for the existing ones. There was no facility to allow for their replacement either. The RJ was not stolen, it was ordered in violation of the scope clause within the Air Canada Pilot's collective agreement. The Air Canada pilots enforced their CA. It would be much the same as Georgian ordering a fleet of Q400's possibly against the language of your scope clause. Would that mean that you stole their 400's if they clearly violated your collective agreement? I don't think so. I was a connector pilot at the time and understood it, so the fact that you don't, tells me you were not around back then and have since been fed a jug of bitter kool-aid.

Last edited by Jaques Strappe on Thu May 07, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

They're not doing other peoples work for less pay. They are the highest paid Dash 8 drivers that I know of. So you can't call them prostitutes when they are operating their equipment at above industry standard. The RJ pay may be a bit on the low side but that is because they utilize the status pay system. They do seem to run efficiently .. No type jumping and they keep there training cost down. It just makes smart business sense.
Localizer

That is a very good argument and yes, I will agree with you that Jazz are probably the highest paid Dash 8 drivers around. However, Jazz did attempt to get the Embraer by low balling the salaries. That is a matter of record and is why Calin was forced to resign the last time he was here.

There was once also talk of Jazz approaching Air Canada with an offer to operate everything from the 320 down at drastically lower salaries.

I have been on both sides of this fence and I know that there are those at Jazz who will stop at nothing, to get flying and aircraft away from Air Canada. That goes well beyond the ideals of having a scope clause.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

That is a very good argument and yes, I will agree with you that Jazz are probably the highest paid Dash 8 drivers around. However, Jazz did attempt to get the Embraer by low balling the salaries. That is a matter of record and is why Calin was forced to resign the last time he was here.
Was it Jazz approached CR? I was under the impression it was CR that went to Jazz and tried to pit us against one another in a bidding war. That was why we wanted him ousted.
There was once also talk of Jazz approaching Air Canada with an offer to operate everything from the 320 down at drastically lower salaries.
I remember something about this going around but I do find it hard to believe. It might have happened but then again I think it was just something spread to get people going.
I have been on both sides of this fence and I know that there are those at Jazz who will stop at nothing, to get flying and aircraft away from Air Canada. That goes well beyond the ideals of having a scope clause.
I don't doubt you that those people exist. There are people on the AC side that want nothing more than for Jazz to disappear aswell. I thought there was a proposel that would see the RJ's at AC and the Dash 8's go to Georgian and there would be no need for Jazz. So like I said .. both sides share the guilt. Maybe that needs to come to an end.

Here's to hope ... :drinkers:

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

You guys are funny. Some of you talk as if us Jazz pilots have any say in what type of aircraft management wants us to fly. We can make a stand on wages and working conditions but seriously, no pilot is stealing anything, we don't have that kind of power although some would think we did. I'd like to see one AC or Jazz pilot quit after they get told that they're getting the RJs back or that the Embraers are coming.

As for status pay it is the smartest thing at Jazz and I hope it continues. It drastically cuts down on equipement jumping and training costs. You fly what you want because you like it (schedule and type of flying) and NOT for the money. A plane is a plane is a plane. One shouldn't make anymore money at this level of flying just because it's big. As far as I'm concerned at AC, Embraer to 777 you should all be making the same amount evened out between ALL types. Some might see it as the best paid Embraer and worste paid 777 pilots but I see a healthier company and happier work force. That's just the opinion of a little dash dude though.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
squawk 7600
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by squawk 7600 »

Teacher,

Your scenario makes sense. You would see the younger guys/gals flying the 777 to far off places, whilst the older folks do the shorter hauls in the Emb. Leave the long hauls to the young buck's/doe's, and the short stuff to the oldies who just want to be home with their families.

Return to “Air Canada”