Air Canada Interviews

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Canada Interviews

Post by rudder »

HuD 91gt wrote:
It was a joke. I'm on your side, I know all about inertia ;)
I know that we are on the same page. I am not sure that AC is but there is always hope. Sometimes common sense escapes the result. That is certainly the case with the existing LCC pay progression rules.
---------- ADS -----------

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

scopiton wrote:
MeAndMrPenguin wrote:You want 30 days scheduling, health care, dental, travel perks...apply.
one can expect a bit more from such a job and such a company... any good regional carrier provides those advantages plus sometimes job security and a well funded retirement plan...

MeAndMrPenguin wrote:All the jobs created for the last while are retirement attrition, and not growth. We need growth, and hopefully this whole thing brings it...
what is this whole thing which is bringing growth ?
You want job security in Aviation, good luck. Anyone at a regional now should be enquiring about the implications of the mainline contract. Final salary pension? They are all on the dart board...watch.

We can sit and pound our fists about what has just happened, but the fact is we are not growing. The status quo would have not worked, so maybe something actually comes of this forced contract.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

I know by experience that job security in aviation is somewhat unattainable but you can mitigate the risks in some niche operators while benefiting all the perks you cited above.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

scopiton wrote:I know by experience that job security in aviation is somewhat unattainable but you can mitigate the risks in some niche operators while benefiting all the perks you cited above.
Job security at the regulator(TC) and service provider(NC) is more attainable than any airline from the highest to lowest common denominator. I know from experience as well............ :wink:

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

agreed, but it's not the same job
:wink:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

scopiton wrote:agreed, but it's not the same job
:wink:
Too right on that............ but if job security is to be your lot in life(it was mine), then the regulator/service provider are attractive alternatives to Regional airlines like Porter, AC Express and the new WJ start-up in salary, pension benefits, vacation, days off etc.

I am retired now but shudder to think what would have happened if I took that job offer with the now defunct Air Atlantic back in the mid 80's.......... I wouldn't be retired now I can tell ya.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

thanks for the suggestion OF, I'm not planning to go this path for now.
i was just commenting on MrPenguin's post saying you don't need to go to air canada to have a benefit package and travel passes.

sorry for the interruption, back on the original subject. :)

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

For anyone joining Air Canada after 1st Aug 2012.

- 2 years flat salary is gone, new pilots will now be paid a fixed hourly rate for their first 4 years. They will make more in the first 2 years than the old contract and about the same as the old Position Group rate in years 3 and 4. They are also able to make more money should they choose to fly overtime when it's available.

-Aircraft type will be awarded based on positions available at the time of joining.

-They will not be able to bid to fly a different aircraft type for 4 years. Base transfers on the same type can be bid for as positions become available.

-They will be part of a defined contribution pension plan.

Other than those items you're in the same boat as the rest of the pilot group.

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

scopiton wrote:thanks for the suggestion OF, I'm not planning to go this path for now.
i was just commenting on MrPenguin's post saying you don't need to go to air canada to have a benefit package and travel passes.

sorry for the interruption, back on the original subject. :)
I was not implying that it does not exist somewhere else. I am pointing out that the total package at Air Canada is still impressive. Any implication that a regional is safer is hogwash. Companies continue to fail in this blasted business. There is no right job. They all come with potential layoff or aircraft sale.

What we are seeing is the tightening of belts that is required from rising energy prices and the squeezing of consumers discretionary income. This industry will change, and if Air Canada stays a dinosaur, you can guess its fate.

I was not happy about the governments role in this, but the changes made MAY sort out some good for everyone. Maybe they can finally compete. Maybe things turn around. Who knows, but militance and venom will serve no purpose and poison your sole.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

TheStig wrote:Other than those items you're in the same boat as the rest of the pilot group.
Moving the deck chairs around as the "big wigs" fill the life boats with booty and cast off :downbig:

Caballero
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caballero »

Great post, Penguin. This is the attitude that needs to be radiating throughout the new generation in the operation, rather than the militant doom and gloom. It's unreal how many newer hires talk about 'how it used to be' with a sense of entitlement of something they never even experienced. Times are changing in all industries, and pilots aren't the only ones taking a hit. Sure the process in how we came to this was horrible, but we can't let things beyond our own control destroy our own culture. We need to do what we can within our control to make this the best place possible, period.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Are they still interviewing?

Last edited by atpilot on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

atpilot wrote:Are they still interviewing?
Yes they are.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

TheStig wrote:
atpilot wrote:Are they still interviewing?
Yes they are.
Thanks.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

how long after the interview do they usualy call you for medical ?

penismightier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by penismightier »

scopiton wrote:how long after the interview do they usualy call you for medical ?
They tell you that it will be 6 to 8 weeks in the interview, but it's my understanding that if you're successful you usually hear much sooner than that (within 4 weeks). That is just what I am told, I'm sure the time frame varies quite a bit. I interviewed roughly 4 weeks ago haven't heard anything......

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Has anyone that interviewed in the last 6-8 weeks heard anything yet?
How long did it take you to get a reply?

doorhandle27
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by doorhandle27 »

I did mine early summer, took 5 weeks for a medical call and 3 weeks after I got the pool email. Not sure there's a time frame to pin point so don't worry until you hear something, I know the feeling though.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

doorhandle27 wrote:I did mine early summer, took 5 weeks for a medical call and 3 weeks after I got the pool email. Not sure there's a time frame to pin point so don't worry until you hear something, I know the feeling though.
Thank you for the response. It is a bit unnerving but still very early in the game for me.

Return to “Air Canada”