Why in the world???

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Why in the world???

Post by Localizer »

Lost in Saigon wrote:I want to fly past 60 because after 30 years I still love my job.

Those of you who find that hard to believe, might be in the wrong business.
I'd say this statement is correct .. you love your present job (heavy Captain). Not aviation in general .. because if that were true then sitting co-joe on the Embraer would have been no issue .. yet it was. I think its safe to say that everyone love's there job when you're at the top of the heap .. Good seniority, hefty pay-cheque, summer vacation and holidays off. We'd all love that job! .. but now, you'd like to plug the system and prevent anyone else from sitting in the seat you occupy ..

Loc
---------- ADS -----------

flyguycanuk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyguycanuk »

I heard that one of the Sky Regional Q400 pilots in training is a retired AC pilot.

Quite a change in pay and lifestyle from the top of the AC pyramid.

Now that's gotta be for the love of flying.

Understated
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Understated »

flyguycanuk wrote:Now that's gotta be for the love of flying...
and/or the mitigation of damages.

LeadingEdge
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LeadingEdge »

Janszoon wrote:
Morry Bund wrote:With the impending passage of legislation to eliminate mandatory retirement for hundreds of thousands of workers in the entire country, does it really matter one iota whether anyone anywhere is for or against the change? If it is going to happen, why not deal with it, rather than cursing it?
The younger generations have a problem with this, the baby-boomers in a position to change the rules to favour them. They grew up in a time of cheap education, job opportunities, cheap gas, muscle cars, drugs and rock and rock, and they had it all. Knew a buddy in the airlines, you're in. They spent all their money in the 80's and partied it up, enjoying the good life.

Now that retirement is coming for them and they realize that they didn't plan ahead, they want to work longer, drain the system more and have the younger generation pay for it all. They set the rules now, and the younger generation, dealing with high gas prices, tuition fees that have gone through the roof, higher taxes, less job opportunity, lower wages, and environmental mess, have to pay for their fun times by having 2-income houses as the norm.

Don't expect the younger generation to enjoy cleaning up the older generation's mess.
Amen to this

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

How many attempts to start a NEW thread on the SAME ISSUE is going to take for everyone to get bored of it and ignore it???

LeadingEdge
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LeadingEdge »

Morry Bund wrote:
Janszoon wrote: How are we going to move forward? United, or forever divided?

As I see it, there is a huge fracture in our membership that can only cause us further grief, should we not start the process of healing and adjustment as soon as possible.
Not going to happen. This is the theft of my career and earnings by the previous generation. You do the math...

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Won't you feel silly when it finally dawns on you that you can earn even more money than before if you choose, your pension will be better if you choose, and you can retire on the very same airplane in exactly the same seniority position if you choose?

Of course you could choose not to, but then you can't very well blame anyone else for that can you?

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

LeadingEdge wrote:
Morry Bund wrote:
Janszoon wrote: How are we going to move forward? United, or forever divided?

As I see it, there is a huge fracture in our membership that can only cause us further grief, should we not start the process of healing and adjustment as soon as possible.
Not going to happen. This is the theft of my career and earnings by the previous generation. You do the math...
Ok, let's do a little math, I figure in Ten years approximately One Thousand of AC's approximately Three thousand Pilots will be over age Sixty. In Fifteen Years maybe 50% of AC's Pilots will be over age Sixty, maybe you will be one of them. How's that for math? Maybe it's time you got with the program.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

vic777 wrote:Ok, let's do a little math, I figure in Ten years approximately One Thousand of AC's approximately Three thousand Pilots will be over age Sixty. In Fifteen Years maybe 50% of AC's Pilots will be over age Sixty, maybe you will be one of them. How's that for math? Maybe it's time you got with the program.
How does that help the TENS of thousands of pilots working their asses off for the shot at AC that will never get it?

Earlier someone said something to the effect of "change to the new reality because this is the way it is" This forum is a matter of opinion, not a method of change (in most cases and especially this issue) and my opinion is that the thousands of pilots in my position or less will reap far fewer rewards and be hurt much more by this than the guys at the top of the ladder if mandatory retirement was upheld. Do I blame you for wanting to keep flying, of course not, its why we all got ino this business, but do I want to suffer and pay for the life mistakes and circumstances of others, hell no! Maybe thats just the right winger in me?

Once again, I am not AC, have never been, and am a long way from 60...but the lack of compassion, humility, and flexibility on this issue from the flypast60 group is staggering from the outside of course.

Enlighten me as to why my opinion is wrong?

the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the original tony »

Rockie, please post your emp number so I can avoid you at all costs, even in the office.
People who need my job more than me? I'm sure there are, and when I hit 60 they are more than welcome to take it. If I need money at that point, I really screwed up the last 30 years, but I have enough respect to NOT have others cover for me.
I dont care how long you want to stay or what your reasons are, really.
But until I have to deal with people with your mentality piss off.
I'll VOLUNTEER to give up when I agreed to. 60. Unless I can't get that far. Then they can have it earlier.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Why 60 Tony? Seems to me you're being a little greedy hanging around all the way till 60. How much money do you need anyway?

BTW, when did you agree to leave at 60? Nobody has ever asked me.

the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Staying till I'm 60 may be greedy, everything I have seen seems to be based on that age so I thought hey, I'll go when all the rest did. They were nice enough to make room for me financial burden and all, so I will as well.
But I guess 60 is greedy to some, maybe you guys are just rubbing off on me.
After all I am more important than everyone behind me, and I always will be.
Yup, definitely rubbing off......

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

the original tony wrote:After all I am more important than everyone behind me, and I always will be.
Yup, definitely rubbing off......
Not quite right Tony. You're also more important than everyone in front of you.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Rockie wrote:Won't you feel silly when it finally dawns on you that you can earn even more money than before if you choose, your pension will be better if you choose, and you can retire on the very same airplane in exactly the same seniority position if you choose?

Of course you could choose not to, but then you can't very well blame anyone else for that can you?
So you argue the greed aspect, yet tell us that more money can be earned .. all you have to do is continue to work past 60.

With regards to "same plane, same seniority position" .. ummm sure you can retire a Shuttle Captain at the ripe old age of 80.

I'm sure this is what everyone envisioned when they got into the piloting business ... work till I die ... or have my career stalled for those that do.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

No, I don't argue the greed angle. I was just twisting tony's tail because I'm sick and tired of hearing such a hypocritical bullshit accusation as that. Whatever minor and temporary delay people might experience in their coveted career progression is unbelievably compensated for by the opportunity to increase their pension and choose when they want to retire rather than get forced out of a job by their shortsighted juniors eager to throw them under the bus so they can have their job.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

rather than get forced out of a job by their shortsighted juniors eager to throw them under the bus so they can have their job
A rather hypocritical statement in itself isnt it? Isnt this exactly what was done by this exact flypast60 group for the past 10yrs, 15yrs, 20yrs....?

the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Rockie calls it bullshit? Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.
To put yourself in the same boat needing to make more money to retire just like the guy making minimum wage is just that, bullshit.
But unfortunately you can't make a law on individuals. It's a blanket effect. Right now go to the same papers you have reported to about your fight for human rights and just fill them in on how rough your pension is going to be and see what sympathy you get.
Oh, but that may expose you or why you are. I don't care what law changes what, I don't care what you want to tell yourself to make you and your gold diggers feel better, but it is what it is.

Understated
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Understated »

Gentlemen: The heat in this thread is almost at the level where several previous threads were pulled. Is that what we want to happen here? Make it easier for the moderators. Keep the discussion civil and respectful, please.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

WOW:

Is there really this much dysfunction in Air Canada's flight decks over the age 60 issue?

If there is how many other airlines have the same problem?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Understated, Cat Driver, my apologies.
I'm done on here, time to go flying.

Return to “Air Canada”