What Route is AC forced to operate

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

What Route is AC forced to operate

Post by ScudRunner »

On this and other Forums as I read through the endless back and forth about the UAE vs Canada it is often stated that when AC was privatized it was forced to serve unprofitable routes and still is to this day. So being curious what route is AC still forced to fly? and or what are some of the other government imposed restrictions that hinder Air Canada?

Don't want an UAE vs AC or Canada debate I'm just interested in what AC is forced to do by our government that no one else is required to.
---------- ADS -----------

MackTheKnife
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What Route is AC forced to operate

Post by MackTheKnife »

Forced Bilingualism on AC only costs it a small fortune every year. ( IMO )

Head Office politically mandated to be in Montreal

Having its main operating base in one of the most expensive airports in the world is another

Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it !!!
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

The stipulations are detailed in the Air Canada Public Participation Act, which can be found here:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/A-10.1/FullText.html

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

. wrote:On this and other Forums as I read through the endless back and forth about the UAE vs Canada it is often stated that when AC was privatized it was forced to serve unprofitable routes and still is to this day. So being curious what route is AC still forced to fly? and or what are some of the other government imposed restrictions that hinder Air Canada?

Don't want an UAE vs AC or Canada debate I'm just interested in what AC is forced to do by our government that no one else is required to.
They aren't forced to fly any routes.

There was a stipulation after the forced take over of CP that they could not drop any routes they operated for a period of 2 years. Another rule was they couldn't lay off any employees for 2 years either.

When they doing drop a route though you sure hear about it from the local political members!

This goes along with the same BS as being "bailed out by the tax payers", which is usually in the same debates!

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Just Skimmed through that thanks for posting the link here are some that stick out.
(d) provisions requiring the Corporation to maintain operational and overhaul centres in the City of Winnipeg, the Montreal Urban Community and the City of Mississauga; and
(e) provisions specifying that the head office of the Corporation is to be situated in the Montreal Urban Community.

Duty re subsidiaries

(2) Subject to subsection (5), if air services, including incidental services, are provided or made available by a subsidiary of the Corporation, the Corporation has the duty to ensure that any of the subsidiary’s customers can communicate with the subsidiary in respect of those services, and obtain those services from the subsidiary, in either official language in any case where those services, if provided by the Corporation, would be required under Part IV of the Official Languages Act to be provided in either official language.

Application of subsection (2)

*(5) Subsection (2) applies
(a) in respect of air services, including incidental services, provided or made available by a subsidiary of the Corporation at a facility or office in Manitoba, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, the Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut or on a route wholly within those provinces, one year after that subsection comes into force if it had been a subsidiary of the Corporation on that coming into force; and
(b) in respect of a person that becomes a subsidiary of the Corporation only after that subsection comes into force, or in respect of Canadian Airlines International Ltd. or Canadian Regional Airlines Ltd. if that airline becomes a subsidiary of the Corporation before that subsection comes into force, three years after the person or airline becomes a subsidiary.

Extension

(6) The Governor in Council may, by order made on the recommendation of the Minister of Transport, increase the three years referred to in paragraph (5)(b) to a maximum of four years in respect of a route served, or an office or facility from which service is provided, by a subsidiary.

Duties of replacements

(7) If Canadian Airlines International Ltd., Canadian Regional Airlines Ltd. or a subsidiary of the Corporation replaces the Corporation or one of its subsidiaries in providing an air service, including incidental services, that the Corporation or the subsidiary provided on or after December 21, 1999, the Corporation has the duty to ensure that any of the customers of the person who replaces the Corporation or the subsidiary can communicate with that person in respect of those services, and obtain those services from that person, in either official language in any case where those services, if provided by the Corporation or the subsidiary, would be required under Part IV of the Official Languages Act or under subsection (2) to be provided in either official language.

So other than the big ones of maintaining bases ( YWG lol WTF) and the official languages act its doesn't seem all that restrictive . I guess its just a bunch of bull shiite however I do agree that AC is a giant Cash cow for the feds to milk. And with regards to YWG base, did they not succeed in closing that base I recall something about the Peoples Democratic republic of Manitoba polit bureau trying to sue AC for trying to close it about a year ago.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

. wrote:
So other than the big ones of maintaining bases ( YWG lol WTF) and the official languages act its doesn't seem all that restrictive . I guess its just a bunch of bull shiite however I do agree that AC is a giant Cash cow for the feds to milk. And with regards to YWG base, did they not succeed in closing that base I recall something about the Peoples Democratic republic of Manitoba polit bureau trying to sue AC for trying to close it about a year ago.
The official languages act isn't all that restrictive but which other airline has to make copies of every SOP, COM, AFM and many other manuals in French and English? Gets a bit pricey!

Everyone calls AC a cash cow but no one can show any proof...........the Feds have made more off AC than AC has made off the feds!

It was the FAs base in YWG that was closed.

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Air Canada and any airline that provides feed for Air Canada must schedule at least one FA that meets a minimum standard of bilingualism to specific communities within Canada. YYJ is one of them.

Every other Canadian carrier is not required to meet these requirements.

Either the ACPPA should be scrapped or every other carrier should be required to meet the same obligations. AC was privatized a long time ago. Its time to let it go.

aroundthewing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aroundthewing »

Interesting question indeed? Although AC by law at this time is not forced to fly any particular routes within Canada or abroad, politicians feel the need to pressure AC when they drop or reduce unprofitable routes in their areas. So in essence, behind the scenes and benches in Ottawa, the Feds feel they still should control that aspect of AC. Look at the uproar in YYT a few years back when AC cancelled the YYT-LHR route. Mutiny on the Isle that went right to the Feds in YOW. If WJ or any other airline had of cancelled service, there would hardly have been a a blip in the local rags. And this applies to any other route cancellations across the country. AC does it, it's National news and punching bag time on the online comments!

Just my .02...

:?

Return to “Air Canada”