Want To Be a Star?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Want To Be a Star?

Post by Raymond Hall »

A reporter for a very large Canadian newspaper is doing a feature story on the Air Canada mandatory retirement issue that will run this Saturday.

Edited: Looks like the other Tsunami will take priority and this story will get pushed back.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Raymond Hall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Want To Be a Star?

Post by yycflyguy »

HA! With the history of litigation threats, good luck with that one.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Double post, must have hit the "send" button twice while I was giggling.

cjbrown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cjbrown »

I am interested, check your email

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Are you saying it's not possible for someone to give a coherent opinion in favour of mandatory retirement without saying something libelous?

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

yycflyguy wrote:HA! With the history of litigation threats, good luck with that one.
The truth is an absolute defence to any claim of defamation.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Rockie wrote:Are you saying it's not possible for someone to give a coherent opinion in favour of mandatory retirement without saying something libelous?
Absolutely it is possible.

Would I ever tie my name to something associated to this litigation-frenzy and its false cries of discrimination? Fahgetaboutit!

I would also warn against anyone considering involving themselves on a volunteer basis. Only bad things will come of it.

I will be interested to read about it in the funny papers this weekend and see the spin put on it.

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

yycflyguy wrote:I would also warn against anyone considering involving themselves on a volunteer basis. Only bad things will come of it.
Actually, if you can speak in sentences and your opinion is worth anything, it's an opportunity to influence thousands of voters.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

yycflyguy wrote:I would also warn against anyone considering involving themselves on a volunteer basis. Only bad things will come of it.
I have to agree with you there. I sure wouldn't want to put my name beside defending mandatory retirement either for a whole host of reasons that I won't bother going into.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Thanks to those who came forward.

Last edited by Raymond Hall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

So he's been working on this "balanced" story for three months, and just hours before the story wraps, he resorted to this forum to get the other side of the coin?

Wow, can't wait to read this piece of work.

Johnny Mapleleaf
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Johnny Mapleleaf »

That's not my take on this story. When was the last time that you heard of a national reporter openly seeking input from anyone, ever? Have you personally ever before now been given an opportunity to express your views in any formal publication anything like the country's largest newspaper? Incredible openness, and you criticize it. No wonder you have a problem.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Raymond Hall wrote:This reporter has interviewed a number of proponents of the repeal of mandatory retirement, at least one representative of ACPA, and a representative from Air Canada.
I'm in favour of ending mandatory retirement, yet my input wasn't asked for and I didn't even know the story was being done. Should I be outraged?

ack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ack »

The Star!?!

I wouldn't believe anything I read in the Star even if I saw it myself.

jazzbeat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jazzbeat »

and where is Toronto again ???

43S/172E
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 43S/172E »

One would never suggest that the Toronto Star has the same cerebral gravitas as the New York Times or The Times would we?

Makes me happy I renewed my online subscription to the above mentioned newspapers.

By the way was this part of the equation discussed:

"We have now received confirmation from the RCMP that the investigation of ACPA in reference to the Human Rights Act, has concluded in our favour. There will be no charges laid against either myself, ACPA or its committee members. This is further vindication of our conduct throughout the Age 60 issue.

On a related note, you may recall that ACPA filed a complaint with a provincial law society over the conduct of a lawyer representing the interests of a number of retired pilots. The result of their investigation was to issue a "reminder letter" to this lawyer reminding him of the terms of their Code of Conduct. It is unfortunate that this was necessary but we are pleased with the decision of the law society and consider the matter closed."

Time to have another long black

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

For someone who scoffs at the Star you put an awful lot of faith in what ACPA says. Despite repetitive legal defeats you prefer no information save the odd platitude and regurgitation of "we are pleased with the presentation of our legal team in defending our contractual right to force people out of their job".

Why don't you ask ACPA how much this has cost the pilots so far? Good luck getting an answer. Why don't you ask ACPA what their legal advisors told them about winning the fight to keep mandatory retirement? Good luck getting an honest answer. Why don't you ask ACPA the unstated reason they are fighting this (hint: it probably has nothing to do with retirement) Again...good luck.

Reality is going to hit Air Canada, ACPA and its members square in the face, and the chaos and damage that ensues is entirely their fault.

ACPA is not going to win this. ACPA KNOWS they aren't going to win this and has known from the very beginning, yet they continue to fight it and foster false hope among the pilots they have manipulated into supporting them. They throw untold funds down the drain fighting a useless and doomed to failure battle and drive the wedge into the pilot group ever deeper. For what?

Wouldn't you like to know?

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

The Globe and Mail story.........
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le1939277/

A pilot’s quest to remain at the top
BRENT JANG — TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 11, 2011 7:30PM EST

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Sixty? Time to come down to earth

Sometime in late April, Michael Ennis will climb into the captain’s seat of an Air Canada Boeing 777 for the last time. ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/952 ... n-to-earth

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I'd be a wreck too if I had to retire and get a 120k a year pension! :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Air Canada”