New TA reached!

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hypoxic
Rank 2
Rank 2

New TA reached!

Post by hypoxic »

New TA was reached last night! Details to come in the next few days!
---------- ADS -----------

yyz monkey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New TA reached!

Post by yyz monkey »

Time to stock up on the vaseline & preparation H? :wink:

The Theory of Flight - Because even after 100 years, we're still not sure it works!
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I heard that everyone gets pre-CCAA wages and work conditions however your giving up the embrares to Sky Regional. :smt040

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

In the Financial Post:

Air Canada announced Friday it had reached a tentative agreement with its pilots union.

The Air Canada Pilots Association is first of the airline's unions to reach a preliminary deal with the airline.

The contract, which was negotiated outside of formal collective bargaining, will now go before the union's executive council ahead of a ratification vote by the union's members. The pilots current contract expires on March 31.

No details will be given about the deal until the vote is concluded.

Air Canada must renegotiate its labour contracts with all of its unions in 2011 after its employee groups granted the airline a 21-month moratorium on its pension contributions and a wage freeze over the same period in 2009 as it struggled financially through the recession.

The Canadian Auto Workers, which represents 3,800 sales and service agents at the airline, has been negotiating with the airline since Feb. 11. It applied last week to the federal government to have a conciliation officer appointed to those talks in order to get some traction in the negotiations.

The CAW members have been working without a contract since Feb. 28.

The Air Canada Component of CUPE, which represents 6,500 flight attendants at the airline and whose contract ends on March 31, will begin their talks on April 6.

But a deal with the The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents the baggage handlers and mechanics at the airline, is not expected to be coming soon. Its members are still in the process of determining which employees will join the Air Canada bargaining unit and who will make up the unit negotiating with Aveos Fleet Incorporated, which was spun off form Air Canada in 2004. Union leaders have said a new deal may not be reached until the fall.

http://www.financialpost.com/news/Canad ... story.html

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Just a TA or did they end up getting an RA with it as well? Scary stuff. Hope all involved made it out.

yyz monkey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by yyz monkey »

snag wrote:But a deal with the The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents the baggage handlers and mechanics at the airline, is not expected to be coming soon. Its members are still in the process of determining which employees will join the Air Canada bargaining unit and who will make up the unit negotiating with Aveos Fleet Incorporated, which was spun off form Air Canada in 2004. Union leaders have said a new deal may not be reached until the fall.

The Theory of Flight - Because even after 100 years, we're still not sure it works!
twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Good to hear it, hope it's good news for all the Pilots involved.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

Last edited by RFN on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vortac
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vortac »

flyinhigh wrote:I heard that everyone gets pre-CCAA wages and work conditions however your giving up the embrares to Sky Regional. :smt040
Calling you dense would be a severe understatement.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

vortac wrote:
flyinhigh wrote:I heard that everyone gets pre-CCAA wages and work conditions however your giving up the embrares to Sky Regional. :smt040
Calling you dense would be a severe understatement.
Hi, I would like to introduce you to my new friend sarcasm.... :smt040

Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Sage »

Just to let you all know, the ACPA membership has not seen or heard what is in this TA. Our MEC is currently awaiting to hear from the negots committee what they negotiated. They will need to review it and vote on whether or not it is worthwhile to present to the membership for a vote. Anybody out there who may have heard what is in there from a friend of a friend's cousin while talking to another cousin's girlfriend is out to lunch. I'm constantly hearing from people outside of ACPA membership what they "know" is in this TA. Give me a break! :evil:

Scope. Not just a mouthwash.
turbo-beaver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by turbo-beaver »

"The contract, which was negotiated outside of formal collective bargaining, will now go before the union's executive council ahead of a ratification vote by the union's members. The pilots current contract expires on March 31."

What is with this comment? It sounds to me like the MEC has gone to the company behind the backs of the negots committee so I cannot wait to see what will come out of this.

And, when are they going to enlighten the troops? Normally when the union achieves a TA the first thing they do is schedule roadshows and present it to the troops with their recommendation.

frog
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

turbo-beaver wrote: And, when are they going to enlighten the troops? Normally when the union achieves a TA the first thing they do is schedule roadshows and present it to the troops with their recommendation.
Normally, a TA is an agreement in principle that is presented to the MEC for a decision on whether it is in an acceptable summary of changes that will be submitted for ratification by the membership. If accepted by the MEC, then final contract language must be drafted in conjunction with the company. It is normally that final language that is included in the package that is presented at the roadshows.

It may take a while to draft the ZIP II LOU language :mrgreen:

turbo-beaver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by turbo-beaver »

Yea, but presented to the MEC by whom? The news release stated the TA was reached outside of the collective bargaining process. That can only mean, that the company approached the MEC with a deal, without consultation with the bargaining committee entrusted to reach an agreement with the company. So, in this topsy-turvey process, perhaps we now have the MEC trying to convince the Bargaining Committee that this is the best deal they could achieve, rather than the other way around. Regardless, if it is a decent agreement, it really doesn't matter how they got there.

So, if the MEC has reached a deal, which the news release alludes to, lets hear it. Show us the meat!

frog
Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Brick Head »

rudder wrote:
It may take a while to draft the ZIP II LOU language :mrgreen:
Sage,

It would appear to me the cat is out of the proverbial bag. Although I am reasonably certain all that is in circulation is a very brief summary. Tough to get specific details from.

Turbo,

That only means formal bargaining was never filed with the Gov't. The negots committee negotiated this. Rudder and Sage or correct. This has to pass at the MEC before being presented to the membership.

Rudder,

Not ZIP II though.

Let me see.

Tango- used
Jazz used
Song used
Chorus used

I'm going with Hip-Hop or Swing

What About Me?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by What About Me? »

How about AIR ERR? :rolleyes:

777longhaul
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 777longhaul »

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION IS NOT MINE. IT IS NOT VERIFIED.

=========================================================================================

I am pleased to advise you that at 2350EDT on March 17th, (St. Patrick’s Day), the Negotiating Committee reached a Tentative Agreement with the Company.

The Committee believes that this agreement has successfully provided significant gains to the contract that address the wishes of our pilots in all the key priorities identified by the WAWCON surveys.

There is a significant pay increase provided from a variety of improvements- grouping, training pay, expenses, etc and an across the board pay rate increase. It is a four year agreement which was necessary to capture value in the grouping system.

Our Pension Plan has been secured with funding changes that restrict the Company from taking funding holidays in the event of a surplus while providing increased MPU’s. There is a valuation process included which provides a mechanism that determines benefit reductions. A good DC plan is included for new hires.

Scope protections are included that restrict domestic outsourcing while providing a diversification of our Tier 2 flying away from Jazz. Also, LCC based on our competitors’ pilot agreements.

Streamlined scheduling rules and the removal of many associated irritants. A much simplified contract based on the Clarity Document.

This obviously is just a nutshell version and not at all worthy of the months of hard work performed by our team, however I hope it provides enough of a sketch until a more detailed explanation can be provided by the Negotiating Committee.

I will be releasing a Negots Update to the membership shortly with a Press Release to follow. Paul Howard is out of the country on holidays but we are using our back up PR firm until he returns.

I need to discuss time frames in more detail with Eric but for now I am targeting April 18th as the closing date for the ratification process. The Negots team needs to compile the new contract and format it into a detailed presentation for the MEC. However, they also need some much needed down time to re-acquaint themselves with their families. Right now I am planning to have a Special MEC meeting during the week of March 28th with roadshows commencing the first week of April.

I will try to provide another MEC newsletter on Monday.

Regards,

Bruce[/quote]

turbo-beaver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by turbo-beaver »

Why am I not surprised that this MEC would negotiate better benefits for themselves and then turn around and sell the new hires down the road with a defined contribution pension plan creating a new class of pilots.

frog
buss
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buss »

"Scope protections are included that restrict domestic outsourcing while providing a diversification of our Tier 2 flying away from Jazz."
The above statement has the potential of creating huge changes in the Canadian aviation industry.
Also, as the age of new hires is all over the board a DCP isn't necessarily a bad thing.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Scope protections are included that restrict domestic outsourcing while providing a diversification of our Tier 2 flying away from Jazz. Also, LCC based on our competitors’ pilot agreements.
GAME ON, I hope you all get whats coming to you, all who vote yes to this, remember what goes around comes around. You want to screw with my livelyhood, I'll fly the F_$%n embraer for peanuts and free coffee, well not really, but that'll be the end result.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

Return to “Air Canada”