AC low cost carrier closer to becoming a reality

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

AC low cost carrier closer to becoming a reality

Post by aerodude »

I think this should be a reality check for us pilots of where this company is going in terms of labor management. Creating a separate entity low cost airline would be the beginning of a disastrous route for future employees and the Canadian aviation industry.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20 ... or-111107/

Air Canada union disappointed with arbitrator ruling
Air Canada said it was pleased with the decision to use the contract reached by the "democratically elected" union leadership in September.

"The implementation of a new collective agreement with our flight attendants ends a period of uncertainty for our customers and will allow Air Canada and its employees to move forward together," chief operating officer Duncan Dee said in a statement.

Air Canada's intention to create a low-cost carrier, wages, working conditions and pensions were among the main issues that the arbitrator was ruling on.
---------- ADS -----------

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: AC low cost carrier closer to becoming a reality

Post by CanadianEh »

I think I just threw up a little. When will those management boneheads realize that the LCC will fail.... LIKE IT DID THE LAST 2 F$%#ing times!!! :smt013 :smt019 :smt011

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

The whole world is eaten this crap up, there will never be a shortage of pilots because all the legacy carriers will be replaced with LCC's. What a bunch of S@*T. Rovinescu will be getting an even bigger bonus once he succeeds in shoving the LCC down your throats.

Singapore Airlines bets travellers will 'Scoot' to its new long haul budget carrier. Singapore Airlines is hoping travellers will ”Scoot'' to its new long-haul budget carrier as one of the world's leading airline brands seeks to muscle in on Asia's burgeoning no-frills market. Scoot, as the new carrier is known, will begin service by June 2012 with four Boeing 777-200 jets flying by the end of that year, chief executive Campbell Wilson told reporters. The airline plans to eventually buy several Boeing 777-200ER planes, which can travel up to 13 hours, allowing Scoot to fly to Europe and Africa. Scoot also plans next year to hire about 52 pilots, 250 flight attendants and 40 ground staff with what Wilson called ”Scootitude.''
-Anyone see what I see, is this Wilson guy ex WestJetitude?

Scoot hopes to ride the low-cost wave that has made budget flights about 25 per cent of Changi's traffic this year from almost nothing a decade ago. The best earners among Asian airlines this year have been short-haul budget carriers Indonesia's Lion Air, AirAsia and Cebu Air in the Philippines, Standard & Poor's aviation analyst Shukor Yusof said. “Budget airlines are not a fad. They're here to stay,'' he said.

”This new market segment is growing fast,'' Wilson said. “We aim to bring new business to the SIA group.'' Scoot plans to initially focus on destinations that are five to 10 hours from its base at Singapore's Changi International Airport and fly to four or more cities in Australia and China.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

CanadianEh wrote:I think I just threw up a little. When will those management boneheads realize that the LCC will fail.... LIKE IT DID THE LAST 2 F$%#ing times!!! :smt013 :smt019 :smt011
All the way back from Lorenzo at Eastern Airlines, it makes no difference wether it fails or not, the only purpose is to line the pockets of the upper management. They don't know how to run a business, just steal wealth.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

A perfect example of why a nation wide pilot association or college is needed to set country wide wages (better than what we have now) and take pilot wages OUT of negotiations. Our pay as professional pilots should not be negotiable, you want to hire a pilot to fly your plane, it costs "this" much, period.

Last edited by teacher on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

it makes no difference wether it fails or not, the only purpose is to line the pockets of the upper management.
Senior managment are large shareholders and therefore would not want it to fail lest they loose tons of money.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

vic777 wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:I think I just threw up a little. When will those management boneheads realize that the LCC will fail.... LIKE IT DID THE LAST 2 F$%#ing times!!! :smt013 :smt019 :smt011
All the way back from Lorenzo at Eastern Airlines, it makes no difference wether it fails or not, the only purpose is to line the pockets of the upper management. They don't know how to run a business, just steal wealth.
+1. Well said Vic777

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

cgzro wrote:
it makes no difference wether it fails or not, the only purpose is to line the pockets of the upper management.
Senior managment are large shareholders and therefore would not want it to fail lest they loose tons of money.
How much did they pay for those shares? What are those shares worth to them vs cash in the bank?

ratherbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ratherbee »

Oh please! How are those Eastern Airlines employees coping compared to those at SouthWest? Low Cost does not mean low salary.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

ratherbee wrote:Oh please! How are those Eastern Airlines employees coping compared to those at SouthWest? Low Cost does not mean low salary.
It shouldn't but these days it does in the eyes of managers.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

cgzro wrote: Senior managment are large shareholders and therefore would not want it to fail lest they loose tons of money.
They give themselves millions of shares for free, cazro, then then try to find ways to blow them off to Doctors and Dentists and other suckers at a huge profit, all the while paying themselves Million Dollar Salaries. The main challenge is to do it legally. Any thief/fraud artist can do it.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I tend to be sceptical about these sorts of announcements because on deeper analysis a subsidiary doesn't fit the traditional Low Cost paradigm. I think that what Air Canada is really doing is signaling to its shareholders, employees, suppliers and unions that in the future costs will be cut.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Some inconvenient facts AC management don't want to talk about.

1) Flight crew costs are around 7% of total costs. Even if the flight crew worked for free the AC cost per seat mile would still be more than WestJet.

2) Even if the "B" scale were in place today the savings would not come close to off setting the losses from some bone headed fuel hedging moves

3) Airlines are high cost low margin businesses. Success involves sweating the operational basics. Open warfare against your own employees means they will have no motivation to do the little extras that individually represent small savings but collectively reduce operational costs across the board and are a large part of generating that positive margin. It is an ultimately self defeating strategy. To further alienate the work force AC increased the compensation of the execs by 227% over the last 5 years, and enrichened their defined benefit plan with unearned extra years of deemed service while at the same time trying to wipe out the employees pension plan and cut wages.

4) The LOCO proposal is a classic sign of failing management because it is change presented as progress. Demonstrably failed business strategies are again being dusted off and recycled, with the managements promise that "this time it will be different"

5) The US has 6 major airlines. The consistently most profitable airline, SouthWest, consistently pays the highest narrow body mainline jet wages in the Industry. The consistently least profitable airline, US Airways, consistently has paid the lowest industry wages. Southwest is always at or near the top in airline customer surveys and US Airways is always at or near the bottom of customer surveys.

The bottom line is simple. In any line of business, being an industry leader is highly correlated with a policy of having fairly compensated, empowered and well treated employees.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Big Pistons forever for CEO, you'd have my vote. If only we could vote for CEO's like politicians, with 1 or 2 year terms. 4 years would be too long cause they could do so much damage the 1st year, do some good the 4th and hope people forget about the 1st, much like the PC party now.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:5) The US has 6 major airlines. The consistently most profitable airline, SouthWest, consistently pays the highest narrow body mainline jet wages in the Industry. The consistently least profitable airline, US Airways, consistently has paid the lowest industry wages. Southwest is always at or near the top in airline customer surveys and US Airways is always at or near the bottom of customer surveys.
Very good point BPF :!:
Big Pistons Forever wrote:The bottom line is simple. In any line of business, being an industry leader is highly correlated with a policy of having fairly compensated, empowered and well treated employees.
You know those plaques on the wall in the crew rooms you see at every base we fly to... where they proudly state what the Company stands for and how every employee has a right to be treated fairly and respected, with out being harassed and put in an unsafe situation....bla bla bla...well, I think Big Piston's point here in the end should be put in the bold, gold letters and framed on every door of these managers running the 'show' so that every time they go to work in the morning they are reminded what their job should be!
:smt038

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

BPF

In the fighter world they call that a "shack".

It means you just put it right between the eyes from two miles away.

Captain S itmagnet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain S itmagnet »

OK I'm a layman as far as financial stuff goes, all I bring to the table is being paid to fly for 25 years...

What exactly is cheaper to operate if you are a "LCC", apart from this myth that lower labour costs will save the day?

By my reckoning, these costs will be the same:
fuel
landing fees
training - pilots FA's and AME's
hull and liability insurance
uniforms
Jep chart services
NAVCAN and FAA fees
parts
advertising
rent and lease of counters, offices, hangar space, etc

I'm sure there are many others.
All of which are for naught once you hire on a bunch of additional managers and non-production types, many of whom will be performing a duplicate role to someone at the mainline. HUH?

And ZIP and Tango were how successful? (and Song, Ted, etc.) At least when my dog pees on the floor as a puppy he soon learns how to ask to be let outside, and he doesn't even have an MBA!

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Captain S itmagnet wrote: At least when my dog pees on the floor as a puppy he soon learns how to ask to be let outside, and he doesn't even have an MBA!
I vote this the quote of the decade....lol.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

fuel fees, training - pilots FA's and AME's
one interesting little bit of data is that the Low Cost airlines average something like 11 hours of use per day for each aicraft v.s. about 10 hours per day for the others.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2010 ... 0Fleet.htm

I imagine that keeping your assets in the air earning money 10% longer has to translate into more profit.

I suppose that keeping things in the air longer is strongly related to turn around times so presumably the low cost airlines have better turn around times.

hopper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hopper »

With globalization, an increase in middle class incomes throughout asia and middle east, constant oil price pressures, and demand for cheaper flights perpetuated by stiff competition, I see domination of low cost carriers as inevitable. Air Canada will never give this up. I absolutely believe that over the next several years there will be a large shift from AC's current structure as the public supports the discount airfares. There is no way they can continue paying all employees current salaries. There are too many inefficiencies in their current structure.

It's just supply and demand...it's already happening throughout asia and the middle east and quickly. Even look no further than the commuters and regional carriers in the U.S. The profession and glory days, is changing rapidly. We are fighting it here in Canada, but it's scary.

I am not optimistic that the next 25 years will be even close to what I signed up for 15 years ago.

My hope is that there actually is a global shortage of qualified pilots because demand will be high and wages will not deteriorate. However, the cadet programs could easily be ramped up and keep pilot seats filled very cheaply, satisfying both problems.

Perhaps my view is simplistic and forgive me for insulting your intelligence if this is a common belief. It just seems so obvious when you look outside Canada.

Return to “Air Canada”