YVR Commute

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

alexmacdonald3
Rank 1
Rank 1

YVR Commute

Post by alexmacdonald3 »

Hi all, just trying to get a good idea on commuting to YYZ from YVR (assuming either the EMB FO or 777/767 RP based in YYZ). Living in base is always the better QOL option, but trying to check out this option as well. If there are any YVR commuters out there willing to share their experiences or folks wanting to chime in please let me know. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

JZA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: YVR Commute

Post by JZA »

I did the YYZ-YVR commute for three full years as an EMJ FO. I was able to predominantly bid afternoon/evening check-ins and generally always commuted day of. Although ideally I left 1 or 2 flights buffer ... sometimes I didn't and it always worked out. I did not have a commuter pad and opted instead to stay at one of the airport hotels (quality suites etc.) that give us great rates. I averaged about 12 hotels a year over the course of 3 years. Commuting to YVR is one of the better commutes thanks to the number of wide bodies hence a lot of jumpseats. I probably averaged about 25% of my Time in the Jump. Most of my pairings always finished in time to catch one of the last flights home.

Keep in mind that if you commute the way I did you can expect to spend 40hours a month in the air commuting which will equate to about $1100 a year in pass charges.

Totally worth it though...I'm now AC YVR based and am loving it here! The work environment is dramatically different here in the promised land. Welcome to AC!

"Going to the Dark Side"
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

JZA's commuting costs were based on not having to pay the sector charge(service charge) for passes.The service charges will continue to be waived until you sign your new contract(just like the ticket agents and flight attendants). Once your service charges are re-instated your cost per round trip will rise fom $38/round trip to around $88(sector cost per direction is $24.50). If JZA paid $1100/year in commuting , that works out to about 2.5 commutes a month at $38 per round trip.
So once the agreement is signed you can expect to pay about $2500/year in commuting.

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

I did it for a period.

If you are EMB factor in how tiring eastern check ins are. A 5:00 in Tor Bay is 12:30 on your own clock. The more senior guys like the west flying better too, so it takes time to get it on bids.

The 5 hour flight is long. As stated above, the wide bodies make it easier. Lots of jump seats! I worried little about getting there. Your sinuses will be dryer than you have ever experienced.

It may be a good option if movement keeps happening and you expect a block in YVR at some point.

alexmacdonald3
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alexmacdonald3 »

Thanks for the responses, very good info. Thanks for the cost info too, always a factor (ouch!). I've read on here that getting the YVR base right out of class is possible as well, but rare.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

They are showing at least 4 new hires training for VR A340 RP in the new year. That's a good start for the west coasters.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

A340 ???

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

ogopogo wrote:A340 ???
Only 330 left but show as 340's because of the pay.......................

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

Did the commute for a year as a brand new RP. Very excited to get back to Vancouver though. I have to say it can be done, just have to be prepared with a couple options, like extra flights, travel a day early, and keep those jump seat coupons well stocked. When things fall apart and get busy at AC, Westjet has always been a great option too (about $36 per trip), and there are usually very few people that travel standby. When the 777 goes a couple times per day things are even better. That's 4 jumpseats, and the bunks kick ass. Crash pads in YYZ can be found cheap too ($165 @ Ken Webb's). If you like breakfast, a ride and room service, hotels are there too, but I liked having a place to leave all my extra kit.

That being said, like mentioned above there are already 4 slots listed on the 330 in YVR, and the new bid shows 26 new entry level spots (all RP + EMJ). You won't commute for long.

S.

29chev
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 29chev »

Hey..
I did the commute YVR-YYZ for 9 of the last 11 years(started as a new hire and just got YVR base in the last year), not hard at all, however it's not for everyone, you have to have the right mind set. I ALWAYS left the day before so I could get a good rest in before checkin in YYZ, I had a crash pad worked well for me, over the whole time I might have missed out on less than 10 flights that I tried to commute on but then got on the 2nd choice ended up in the jump seat about 10% of the time and (not that I didn't want to) but I never once had to travel on West Jet.
Good luck

alexmacdonald3
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alexmacdonald3 »

Thanks again for the responses everyone! Used to commuting in the States, so passes are a new concept, but no big deal. Very good to hear about the success of getting your first and second choice too. Now to research some less expensive rental housing in YVR, no laughing :)

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

hithere wrote:JZA's commuting costs were based on not having to pay the sector charge(service charge) for passes.The service charges will continue to be waived until you sign your new contract(just like the ticket agents and flight attendants). Once your service charges are re-instated your cost per round trip will rise fom $38/round trip to around $88(sector cost per direction is $24.50). If JZA paid $1100/year in commuting , that works out to about 2.5 commutes a month at $38 per round trip.
So once the agreement is signed you can expect to pay about $2500/year in commuting.

You have no idea what the service charges will be when we sign our new contract. They may not be reinstated at all.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Ah... Yes I do know what the service charges will be, because I work for Jazz and I priced the cost of a YVR-YYZ-YVR ticket for me. Unless you guys pull of some epic negotiating, your service (sector) charges will be reinstated to pre-CCAA rates, just as they did 2 years ago for Jazz, and just as they have done in the last couple of months to the AC groups who signed their contracts(ticket agents and FA)

Return to “Air Canada”