Positions available

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Positions available

Post by Xander »

Hi guys,

I'm on the Feb 6 course and I was wondering what positions will be available to us.

Apparently there are quite a few openings in YUL.

Thanks for the info.
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Positions available

Post by TheStig »

Congrats,

The positions available are based on the vacancies of the latest equipment bid and simulator availability. Looks like there are 11 EMJ course positions penciled into the training schedule (so far) for your class and there should still be 5 or 6 EMJ positions in YUL available.

alexmacdonald3
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alexmacdonald3 »

Good post Xander, I was wondering the same with respect to YVR in both EMJ and RP positions for the Feb 6 class. Appreciate the insight from you all if you've got some intel :D

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Xander »

Thanks for the info Stig.

Can't wait to start!

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

alexmacdonald3 wrote:Good post Xander, I was wondering the same with respect to YVR in both EMJ and RP positions for the Feb 6 class. Appreciate the insight from you all if you've got some intel :D

Looks like there should be seven 767 RP, four A330 RP, two A320 FO, and four EMJ FO positions available in Vancouver, but as mentioned, the positions offered are based on Simulator course availability. It sounds like Air Canada has been pretty accommodating, maybe someone who has been through the PIT course recently can comment?

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

TheStig wrote:
alexmacdonald3 wrote:Good post Xander, I was wondering the same with respect to YVR in both EMJ and RP positions for the Feb 6 class. Appreciate the insight from you all if you've got some intel :D

Looks like there should be seven 767 RP, four A330 RP, two A320 FO, and four EMJ FO positions ...
A320 FO is not a direct entry position.

Benito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Benito »

Is there is such thing as a ''mini bid'' ? For exemple; you pick up a EMB F/O spot in YVR but you want (prefer) to be based in YUL. Is there a chance that you get your transfer after one month, when the next GS class comes on line?

Swerved
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swerved »

The January 9th course was offered 12 EMJ FO, 3 A330 RP, 3 B767 RP, and 2 B777 RP. As for base, the EMJ was offered in YYZ, YUL, and YVR (no limit on any one base). The B767 and B777 were offered in YYZ and YVR (again, no limit on either base), and the A330 was in YVR. Still lots of room available in all bases...one would imagine that, barring an immediate need in a particular base, the Feb 6th class will be offered choice of base as well. Hope that helps...Best of luck, and enjoy the PIT course!

Swerved.

Benito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Benito »

Swerved wrote:The January 9th course was offered 12 EMJ FO, 3 A330 RP, 3 B767 RP, and 2 B777 RP. As for base, the EMJ was offered in YYZ, YUL, and YVR (no limit on any one base). The B767 and B777 were offered in YYZ and YVR (again, no limit on either base), and the A330 was in YVR. Still lots of room available in all bases...one would imagine that, barring an immediate need in a particular base, the Feb 6th class will be offered choice of base as well. Hope that helps...Best of luck, and enjoy the PIT course!
Hi Swerved,

Thanks for your explanation, for sure it helps! So happy to be there next month!

Ben

alexmacdonald3
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alexmacdonald3 »

Hello, I was wondering if anybody had some insight on what yvr positions (767RP/EMJFO/320FO) might be available for the Mar 5 class. Thanks in advance.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Training plan shows 767RP and EMJ FO for the March PIT course. Looks like there should be a few spots left over from the last bid in YUL (EMJ) and YVR (330RP, EMJ, and 767RP). Hope that helps.

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

Keep in mind there should be a bid in March you can bid whatever you want and will likley hold it then.

Al707
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Al707 »

Also keep in mind that just because there is a posted vacancy they have the right to put you where you are most needed or where training can facilitate.

My whole class was forced to the EMB in YYZ even though there were vacancies on the 767 in both YYZ and YVR at the time. If you are fortunate enough to be on your pit course while a bid is still open or more likely just opened up then you have a right to bid the vacant position.

The company, if crazy (sometimes) or desperate can still train you where they wish and delay training for over a year to your newly bid position.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Question. What is a pit course(saw that term many times). I assume it is training obviously, how long is it and what is involved. It isn't a ground school of a specific ac you have been selected for. As for seniority, how is that arranged. Is it the guy/gal who get highest mark in class assigned the first, then goes down the line to the individuals who just make the course(probably like me) :wink:

Sea2Sky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sea2Sky »

PIT: Pilot Indoctrination Training

It's a 2 week course introducing you to company policy and procedure. You study the Flight Operations Manual; do HR training; get paperwork completed; learn procedures for moving on an up with your career at AC.

Seniority is done at the end of the first week by lottery. Everybody draws a number from a hat, and your seniority is determined by that draw. Early in the second week, positions available are chosen in order of seniority. Your sim partner and schedule after PIT is matched up by seniority, as well.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Thks....... interesting. Is there a failure rate on this PIT and those who don't measure up(for what ever reason) are terminated or is sim and aircraft training the place where those who can't hack it are shown the door.

Return to “Air Canada”