Air Canada moves to lock out pilots

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AutoPilot Off
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Canada moves to lock out pilots

Post by AutoPilot Off »

---------- ADS -----------

yyz monkey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada moves to lock out pilots

Post by yyz monkey »

See you on the line, boys & girls!

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

You'll never see the line. Cue lisa snake in 3-2-1

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

As an outsider, non-AC employee, I want to wish you guys the best of luck. I sincerely hope this gets resolved to the satisfaction of the employees who are making all the money for the management. Stay strong. Stay together. You have many supporters outside of your union.

YWGGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGGuy »

I will agree with BE20. Many people are hoping for you guys to get what you want. Good Luck!

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

whipline wrote:You'll never see the line. Cue lisa snake in 3-2-1
Realistically you can't leave thousands and thousands of Canadians stranded over March Break. You are too important to the country now so we need to think up another labor strategy than just strike. Victim of your success I suppose. :(

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Please delete.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

I have a flight first thing Sunday morning on AC to the USA. Pretty sure it's a turnaround, so I should be OK. (right?)

Coming home on Thursday will be a different story maybe.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Thanks for your support BE20.

ACPA was willing to put AC's proposal to a vote with out endorsing it, but apparently that wasn't enough to prevent a lockout.

I hope everyone reading this forum realizes that all ACPA has tried to do is negotiate, AC hasn't budged an inch since the two parties sat down in late 2011. BA has been their plan all along, they were simply looking to give ACPA the black-eye instead of themselves. The federal government can't be impressed, but that doesn't mean they wont be willing to help impose a poor contract upon Air Canada's Pilots (such as was done to the postal workers).

ChallengerDan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ChallengerDan »

Time to write to the (not so) Honourable Lisa Raitt and your parliament representative...

Ottawa
307 Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Tel: (613) 996-7046
Fax: (613) 992-0851
RaittL@parl.gc.ca

Constituency
86 Main Street East
Milton, ON L9T 1N3
Tel: (905) 693-0166
Fax: (905) 693-0704
RaittL1@parl.gc.ca

vic777
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by vic777 »

The Pilot lockout is just BS. They would only lockout the Pilots if the Machinists went on strike. What kind of BS is that? I wonder what their exit strategy was, if the machinists returned to work, would they end the Pilot lockout?

Cirocu
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cirocu »

:smt013

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

I like my Air Canada pilots, mechanics to be happy on the job
Michael Babad | Columnist profile | E-mail
Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, Mar. 08, 2012 1:03PM EST
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 08, 2012 4:34PM EST

I like my pilots and mechanics to be happy on the job
Lisa Raitt is one very impatient Labour Minister.

Determined to head off any work stoppages at Canada's biggest airline, Ms. Raitt today sent two labour disputes to the Canada Industrial Relations Board, The Globe and Mail's Brent Jang and Bill Curry report. That means the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers can't strike next week as threatened, and Air Canada can't lock out its pilots, also as threatened.

Ms. Raitt cited the "fragile economy" and "whether a work stoppage at Air Canada is going to have an effect on the health and safety of Canadians at large" in taking the matter to the CIRB.

Health and safety of Canadians? Well, maybe, if you consider that the health of parents could be in jeopardy when their kids start screaming about their vacation being cancelled. Next week is March Break, which means time off for many Canadian school children.

Ms. Raitt has an awfully twitchy trigger finger, as she has shown before.

To be fair, yesterday she urged Air Canada and the IAMAW to get back to the table and settle the dispute. But to be honest, she should keep her nose out of collective bargaining, at least at this point.

Of course the union chose March break for a reason. And as Ms. Raitt should know, being the Labour Minister and all, management-union bargaining frequently goes down to the wire. That's why unions and management alike set deadlines for strikes and lockouts.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong at the bargaining table, only that Ms. Raitt should have stayed out of it.

She might want to listen to George Smith, Air Canada's former director of employee relations, who sat across the table from the unions many times and doesn't like what he sees.

"We had strikes and lockouts over my 10 years at Air Canada and the government never had to intervene," said Mr. Smith, a fellow at the Queen's University School of Policy Studies.

"This has all the appearances of the federal government doing what’s best for the country but really it’s a disaster ... If you are negotiating a difficult labour contract, the process is being taken out of your hands and the government will do it for you. The ‘showdown’ element which hurts in the short run but results in a fair settlement is gone. The net result will be labour agreements that are uncompetitive."

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Isn't the determination of whether you are an essential service(ie crucial to the "health and safety of Canadians" done at the beginning of negotiations by the CIRB? How can Lisa Raitt send the matter back to CIRB when they had already ruled on it, determining that AC is not an essential service?

gpmdud
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gpmdud »

The real "Elephant in the Room" is the Crown Rent charged by the Federal Government to airports.
Without it landing fees would be much reduced.
If Air travel to Canada is such an engine for growth then why do the Feds hobble it so with their taxes and still deem it an essential service?
This really is more an attack on "Unions" than it is about economic necessity.
The Harper government is all about self serving ideology, and little if anything, about understanding, or progress.
If Air travel to Canada really is an "Engine for Growth" then maybe "Tax Incentives" are more appropriate.

I've heard that the management structure at Air Canada is of the "Mandarin Model".
Too many layers, unable to respond quickly.
I've also read that pilots over the age of 60, who could retire with a pension of $120 K per year are fighting forced retirement.
Well my personal view is that "You Mandarins and Pilots" need a "Reality Check".
The people that make Air Canada what it is "Aren't the execs and pilots" but all of "You" who work for AC.
I doubt that the mechanics or stewards will ever claim anything near the pensions you claim you're worth.
It must be great to be so high in the "Pecking Order" and look down on the rest of your fellow man.

I expect that the pilots will finally show some of the courage they claim for themselves and take a stand against any back to work legislation.
If not they don't deserve what their asking for.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Not that it will do any good, but I emailed my MP, the PM and Raitt tonight. I have written before, plus I send an e-mail roughly every 2 weeks to my MP about the Temporary Foreign Worker program. I never get a response from my MP. The only response I ever had in the past was from Lisa Raitt's office to tell me how lovely everything turned out with the JAZ ALPA intervention :roll:

The meat of it:
I am writing to simply state my disappointment with your government regarding issues surrounding labour interference, specifically tonight with the "Air Canada" situation.
While I am not at all surprised, I am upset that once again, my government is showing it's true colours, and is siding with the corporate elite while thumbing it's nose at those that ultimately make the big corporations work: the labourers. Using the excuse of "a fragile economy" is simply ridiculous.

This has to stop. Air Canada management issued today's ultimatum as they knew, no doubt without consultation with your office, that you would pull this move, and avoid potential work stoppage on Monday.

I have been a card-carrying Conservative in the past. I have voted for your party since I was old enough to vote. However, last May I did not, as you previously did the same type of thing to my Labour Union (ALPA), and interfered with my collective bargaining process.

Once again you have solidified my intent to never vote for your party again.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Air Canada contract fights sent to labour board

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... trike.html

Lisa Raitt's excerpt from the article above:

"Air Canada can carry some cargo that is related to the health industry, related to pharmaceuticals, and certainly those kinds of things related to remote communities that, simply put, nobody else flies to because Air Canada has jurisdictional responsibility to fly to certain remote areas," Raitt told CBC News.

"The other side of it, of course, is passengers and whether or not people rely upon that link to get to life-saving treatments that they need to have in other parts of Canada."

Hmmm....I didn't know that AC flies their 777s or even E175s to Wabush and Castlegar!??? And the cargo part of it is just hilarious! This women clearly has no clue (or pretends she knows it all) and she is our Minister of Labour!!!! What a joke! :lol: Wonder what her cut is in this 'deal'???

Democracy at it's highest level! :rolleyes:

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Mig29 wrote:Air Canada contract fights sent to labour board

"Air Canada can carry some cargo that is related to the health industry, related to pharmaceuticals, and certainly those kinds of things related to remote communities that, simply put, nobody else flies to because Air Canada has jurisdictional responsibility to fly to certain remote areas," Raitt told CBC News.

"The other side of it, of course, is passengers and whether or not people rely upon that link to get to life-saving treatments that they need to have in other parts of Canada."

Hmmm....I didn't know that AC flies their 777s or even E175s to Wabush and Castlegar!??? And the cargo part of it is just hilarious! This women clearly has no clue (or pretends she knows it all) and she is our Minister of Labour!!!! What a joke! :lol: Wonder what her cut is in this 'deal'???

+1. We're heading the way of the U.S. where "democratic decisions" are made with hand shakes in back rooms.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

CanadianEh wrote:
Mig29 wrote:Air Canada contract fights sent to labour board

+1. We're heading the way of the U.S. where "democratic decisions" are made with hand shakes in back rooms.
Raitt and Co. know exactly what they're doing. This is a continuation of the conservative war on Labour. Cues are all being taken from south of the border.

Where the hell are the Libs and NDP in all of this? They should be making public statements to shed light on the true nature of this issue. They are NOT doing their jobs right now.

Return to “Air Canada”