Anything Positive about a low cost?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

props ahead
Rank 1
Rank 1

Anything Positive about a low cost?

Post by props ahead »

Since a low cost carrier is imminent for our national carrier to remain competitive and stand a chance to compete against other airlines in Canada, does anyone see anything positive about the changes? Despite speculation and not knowing the exact direction it will take (777, EMB, asian, european) is there ANYTHING positive we can focus on?
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Anything Positive about a low cost?

Post by Rockie »

Since Rovinescu's plan is to outsource the jobs out of the country it's impossible to see anything positive in this unless your name is Rovinescu, Dee, or Milton.

Even Harper would see how bad this is if it weren't for his brainlessly ideological hatred of Canadian labour.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I positively won't be flying on an offshore Asian crewed low cost airline with "Air Canada" on the tube.

becks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by becks »

How can there be a positive?

- Canadian jobs shipped offshore
- Canadian rights to oppose said jobs been shipped offshore - revoked
- Canadians making less money to do same job while Exec's make absurd wages

OR...I can take a look on the positive side of things " Oh please Mr. Rovinescu let me fly that shiny new 787! I'll do it for Embraer wages and don't even want a pension! As long as I get your table scraps I will be happy!" :roll:

Union busting 101

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

I positively won't be flying on an offshore Asian crewed low cost airline with "Air Canada" on the tube.

You might if the fare is really cheap.

Oh please Mr. Rovinescu let me fly that shiny new 787! I'll do it for Embraer wages and don't even want a pension!

What does the size of aircraft have to do with it? Is a B-787 harder to fly than an EMB?? Aren't the same basic skills required?

And BTW, considerably less than half of Canadian workers have access to a DB pension plan, or any kind of plan for that matter.

Wake up.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

What does the size of aircraft have to do with it? Is a B-787 harder to fly than an EMB?? Aren't the same basic skills required?
You're right. A 787 FO deserves $38K a year. Now where is the slow clap emoticon?

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

justwork wrote:
You're right. A 787 FO deserves $38K a year. Now where is the slow clap emoticon?
I didn't mention numbers -- all I asked was 'what difference does the type of plane make??'

I agree that $38K is pathetic.

heavyjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by heavyjet »

I didn't mention numbers -- all I asked was 'what difference does the type of plane make??'

I agree that $38K is pathetic.

I am againt shipping canadian jobs offshore but would you fly a B787 for 48K?

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

would you fly a B787 for 48K?

I sure would if I was 25 or 30 and was passionate about flying jets. For someone just starting out, that's a decent wage, isn't it? Like I said, what's the type of plane got to do with it?

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Can someone find where ogopgo lives and beat his ass senseless please?

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

ogopogo wrote:would you fly a B787 for 48K?

I sure would if I was 25 or 30 and was passionate about flying jets. For someone just starting out, that's a decent wage, isn't it? Like I said, what's the type of plane got to do with it?
This one statement sums up the entire problem with aviation in North American. Ogopogo, if you were 25, and a company offered you $50K a year to fly the worlds newest and most state of the art airplane how could you ever make more money? Said company wont pay you a cent more, because there will be ogopogo jr, nipping at your heals saying he'll take your spot for $45K... Then JR JR saying he'll do it for $40K.... Before you know it, you're working for Air Canada making $38K and having your job threatened by someone over seas.

Your logic is wrong.

becks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by becks »

no ogopogo, it is you who needs to wake up.

Look around Canada and tell me who has the majority of DB pensions. Government and Executives! and they don't even need to put in a full career to earn them! So pensions are only good enough for the rich?

Come on man, CEO's absolutely love guys like you. No fight, No questions asked, just do the work as long as they don't take it away.

And on a side note for all you 25yr olds who would love to fly a shiny jet for cheap, eventually...you too will turn 40, then 50, then 60.
So 36K a year may not sound that bad but what about when your 40 and all your friends have: Savings accounts, funded RESP's for their children,as well as nice homes that are nearly paid off. Well, I guess you can still say "I fly jets" from your 1 bedroom apartment while you eat your Kraft Dinner.

But who knows, another 10 years and the airline job could be your first stepping stone in aviation. CR would sure like it that way.

TheSuit
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSuit »

This problem has been solved by every other major specialized profession for decades, pilots just can't seem to get it figured out though....

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ogopogo wrote:What does the size of aircraft have to do with it? Is a B-787 harder to fly than an EMB?? Aren't the same basic skills required?
Flying a B787 requires the same basic skills as a Piper Cherokee or Cessna 152. It's the knowledge, experience and aircraft specific training that's different. That is particularly true when you occupy the left seat. Given that a large transport category aircraft is an asset worth hundreds of millions of dollars that carries hundreds of people, smart companies demand a certain level of training, expertise and experience before putting someone in command of them. Dumb companies don't see the value in that. Are you a pilot?
ogopogo wrote:
And BTW, considerably less than half of Canadian workers have access to a DB pension plan, or any kind of plan for that matter.
I don't understand your point here, are you suggesting nobody should have a DB pension then?

FlyFlyAway
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyFlyAway »

tt

Last edited by FlyFlyAway on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

ogopogo wrote:I positively won't be flying on an offshore Asian crewed low cost airline with "Air Canada" on the tube.

You might if the fare is really cheap.
Not a freaking chance!

RudderWhat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RudderWhat »

props ahead wrote:Since a low cost carrier is imminent for our national carrier to remain competitive and stand a chance to compete against other airlines in Canada...
The article in the G&M stated that it would be YVR based and fly to Asia. Not much competition on those routes from within Canada. Further, does anyone really think that a LCC will allow them to be any more competitive than they currently are? Probably not much.
Rockie wrote:Since Rovinescu's plan is to outsource the jobs out of the country it's impossible to see anything positive in this unless your name is Rovinescu, Dee, or Milton.

Even Harper would see how bad this is if it weren't for his brainlessly ideological hatred of Canadian labour.
Bingo!
ogopogo wrote: What does the size of aircraft have to do with it? Is a B-787 harder to fly than an EMB?? Aren't the same basic skills required?

Consider the market and what it generally pays for a 787 pilot vs. an EMB pilot. Yes, same basic skills. But the same reason a Cheyenne pays more than a Seminole, a 737 pays more than a Citation, and ... you get the idea.

I agree with you on the pensions, but don't try to give me nothing for something.

My big, somewhat rhetorical question in all of this is:
If this alleged LWC has any regional flying associated with it, where are they going to find crews to pay less than current narrow-body pilots at AC? Has anyone seen the packages for contract pilots in Asia recently? Assuming they don't want to have burning holes in the ground on a regular basis.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Just more employment for janitors when they move on to their next distraction.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

becks wrote: And on a side note for all you 25yr olds who would love to fly a shiny jet for cheap, eventually...you too will turn 40, then 50, then 60.

So 36K a year may not sound that bad but what about when your 40 and all your friends have: Savings accounts, funded RESP's for their children,as well as nice homes that are nearly paid off. Well, I guess you can still say "I fly jets" from your 1 bedroom apartment while you eat your Kraft Dinner.
From what I've seen, mommy and daddy support a lot of these kids financially. They don't care about the wages as much as they do about wearing the uniform and flying something bigger than their classmates. They also have really nice cars and decent houses in Toronto after being class 4 instructors and co-pilots on PC12s for most of their careers. They don't care about pensions and benefits because their parents will always give them what they need. These are the ones to look out for.

Last edited by HighT5 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Like it or not, it is the 25 year olds that are lined up to get on at AC. And AC seems more than happy to hire them since as you say they have low financial needs unlike older pilots with families.

Return to “Air Canada”