Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
heavyjet
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Air Canada Pool

#1 Post by heavyjet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 am

How many people are in the pool for the next groundschool? and is this a sign that the music just stopped?
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#2 Post by TheStig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

Being told the next ground school will be in November, there were 50 vacancies on the latest bid with 18 of those spots being filled by the September course. Things are likely to slow down with pilots now staying past 60. The total number of pilots required will not increase until the 787's start arriving in 2014.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
homer85
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#3 Post by homer85 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 am

[quote="TheStig"]Being told the next ground school will be in November, there were 50 vacancies on the latest bid with 18 of those spots being filled by the September course. Things are likely to slow down with pilots now staying past 60. The total number of pilots required will not increase until the 787's start arriving in 2014.[/quote

Majority of those vacancies on EMJ? Is that correct?
---------- ADS -----------

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#4 Post by DBC » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Most will be the EMB for sure, some current RP reductions showing, possibly a few 320 spots if current people don't want to move to the bottom of the list and lose their grandfathered year 1-4 pay.
---------- ADS -----------

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:54 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#5 Post by LTD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm

DBC wrote:Most will be the EMB for sure, some current RP reductions showing, possibly a few 320 spots if current people don't want to move to the bottom of the list and lose their grandfathered year 1-4 pay.
About those new positions on EMB do you have any idea if any out of YUL?

Where do most new hires get based? Is it purely random or does one have good odds of getting YUL?

In case u haven't noticed, I'm from Montreal..

Any info about current entry level position and bases would be appreciated. Especially with new contract, I'm not sure what to expect anymore. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:23 pm
Location: Dorval (rarely)

Re: Air Canada Pool

#6 Post by Cap'n P8 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 pm

I believe all the previous YUL EMJ positions were filled from the bottom, but depending on how many (if any) bid off type from above during this bid, there might be some openings.
---------- ADS -----------

bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:21 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#7 Post by bravowhiskey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm

If your in the pool can you get pushed out? Or does it basically mean your in the next groundschool.
---------- ADS -----------

gus70
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#8 Post by gus70 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:06 pm

I heard AC sent out an email yesterday to the candidates that are in the hiring pool. Is this true?? How many of you are in the pool? Good luck to everyone
---------- ADS -----------

Twotter77
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#9 Post by Twotter77 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:16 am

heavyjet wrote:How many people are in the pool for the next groundschool? and is this a sign that the music just stopped?
Can we have a show of hands as to if you are in the pool? Would be nice to know how big it is. I interviewed in July and did medical in August. I have been in the pool since then. I received an email about the Nov 12 groundschool that they might be calling this week. And I know another person I interviewed with got the same email along with a co-worker. So that is three at least!!

Might be nice to know what potential equipment we could expect to be flying!?
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#10 Post by altiplano » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:45 am

Might be nice to know what potential equipment we could expect to be flying!?
Probably A320 and maybe EMB spots depending how soon the reduction bid comes, mostly YYZ.
---------- ADS -----------

ram
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:07 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#11 Post by ram » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:41 am

The company has stated that there would be no layoffs as a result of the EMJ 175 transfer (not that I believe anything the company says) and that in-fact hiring would continue...If this is true there should be NO reduction bid...stagnation maybe but not reduction...

For what it's worth...

-15 EMJ = approximatelty 150 mainline jobs

+2 LCC 319 = approximately 20 pilots
+2 LCC 767 = approximately 40 pilots (no RP's)
+2 777 = approximately 90 pilots

The numbers should balance out, give or take a few...
any hiring would be for attrition...

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:06 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#12 Post by scopiton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:58 pm

when will the EMJ be transfered to SR ?
when are the 319/767 supposed to be transfered to the LCC ?
when will those 2 777 arrive ?
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#13 Post by altiplano » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm

there should be NO reduction bid
Of course there will be reductions at some point on the Embraer - they are getting rid of 15 aircraft. Just to be clear by reductions I don't mean layoffs, just reductions of the numbers of pilots in a given position. The pilots will fit into other positions.

Position Assignment List from last bid showed a bunch of open EMB FO spots in YYZ, If they start the reductions on the bid this month they wipe those out along with up to another +/-120 EMB spots. Guys will have to move somewhere, wherever they don't end up will be where new hires can go. If the reduction (or all the reductions) don't come next bid, then there is a possibility there will still be EMB spots for new hires. LCC doesn't start until next summer... I think that is where guys will get put in the future, but it's a tough guess what will be open for a November course. Maybe all A320? I think there were about 20 spots open last bid.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2795
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#14 Post by pelmet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:57 am

So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?
---------- ADS -----------

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#15 Post by DBC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 am

ram wrote: +2 LCC 319 = approximately 20 pilots
+2 LCC 767 = approximately 40 pilots (no RP's)
+2 777 = approximately 90 pilots
Remember that the first two 67s and I believe the first four 319s are not net gains, they will be taken from the mainline fleet and be flying CARS rules with higher productivity, possibly leading to less crews/fin.

That said I agree with the statement that there will be no layoffs. The company and the PR department is smart enough to overstaff until attrition covers any reductions rather than give ACPA any ammo against the FOS.
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#16 Post by TheStig » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 am

pelmet wrote:So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?
Best guess would be LCC FO. Nobody really knows what that entails unfortunately. All the details we have at this point are that you'll work a maximum 16 days a month with socialized monthly schedules and vacation periods. Pay rates for the first 4 years are the same as mainline with a 4 year position freeze. The LCC portion of the government imposed contract also mentions there will be no reserve, so your schedule will be just as good or just as crappy as everyone else's (depending on how you want to look at things).

I'd suggest that anyone interested in joining AC contact someone they know already on the property and take a look through the LCC portion of the contract and form their own opinion as relying on some anonymous posts on an internet forum isn't the best way to make career decisions.
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by TheStig on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#17 Post by TheStig » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:47 am

scopiton wrote:when will the EMJ be transfered to SR ?
when are the 319/767 supposed to be transfered to the LCC ?
when will those 2 777 arrive ?
-Planned between Feb and June 2013
-319's starting next spring and the first 2 767's when the 2 new 777's arrive and subsequent 767's on a 1 for 1 basis as the 787's arrive
-Next June and September

That's the timeframe being relayed to the employees. But as they say, this is aviation, so don't believe anything until you're sitting in it on a runway at V1..
---------- ADS -----------

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#18 Post by DBC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 am

TheStig wrote:
pelmet wrote:So what can the guy who interviewed in July expect if he is hired in November in terms of career for the next 5 years? Crappy schedule on reserve?
Best guess would be LCC FO. Nobody really knows what that entails unfortunately. All the details we have at this point are that you'll work a maximum 16 days a month with socialized monthly schedules and vacation periods. Pay rates for the first 4 years are the same as mainline with a 4 year position freeze. The LCC portion of the government imposed contract also mentions there will be no reserve, so your schedule will be just as good or just as crappy as everyone else's (depending on how you want to look at things).

I'd suggest that anyone interested in joining AC contact someone they know already on the property and take a look through the LCC portion of the contract and form their own opinion as relying on some anonymous posts on an internet forum isn't the best way to make career decisions.
Pay at LCC is slightly less, starts at 46.94 when mainline is 50.27, first four years is around 7% less.
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#19 Post by TheStig » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am

I stand corrected, thanks. However, keep in mind there is a minimum block guarantee of 77.5 hours (at the LCC) and a 50% premium paid for time over 82.5.
---------- ADS -----------

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:56 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#20 Post by groundtoflightdeck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Pretty sure four year flat rate is the same for LCC and mainline.
---------- ADS -----------

gonefishin'
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: CAW3

Re: Air Canada Pool

#21 Post by gonefishin' » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:21 pm

nada.
LCC is lower... subject to annual raises as per AC
Y1 $46.94
Y2 $51.82
Y3 $59.64
Y4 $67.45
---------- ADS -----------

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:35 am
Location: Canada

Re: Air Canada Pool

#22 Post by bcflyer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm

gonefishin' wrote:nada.
LCC is lower... subject to annual raises as per AC
Y1 $46.94
Y2 $51.82
Y3 $59.64
Y4 $67.45

That is incorrect. The rates are the same for the first four years both at Mainline AND LCC. There is no difference in pay for the first four years.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2795
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Air Canada Pool

#23 Post by pelmet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 pm

ram wrote:
For what it's worth...

-15 EMJ = approximatelty 150 mainline jobs

+2 LCC 319 = approximately 20 pilots
+2 LCC 767 = approximately 40 pilots (no RP's)
+2 777 = approximately 90 pilots

90 pilots for two 777's...that many?
---------- ADS -----------

ram
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:07 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#24 Post by ram » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 am

bcflyer wrote:90 pilots for two 777's...that many?
Sorry, just re-did my math (should have said 60)...it ranges between 27-30 per a/c. Overseas aircraft, senior pilots with max vacation, relief pilots, etc...We currently have 490 pilots on the 777 for 18 aircraft; an average of about 27.2 pilots per aircraft...
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:28 am

Re: Air Canada Pool

#25 Post by ZBBYLW » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 am

bcflyer wrote:
gonefishin' wrote:nada.
LCC is lower... subject to annual raises as per AC
Y1 $46.94
Y2 $51.82
Y3 $59.64
Y4 $67.45

That is incorrect. The rates are the same for the first four years both at Mainline AND LCC. There is no difference in pay for the first four years.
Not sure if you work at AC or not, but if you have access to the contract give it a read. If you start off at the LCC those rates seem to be similar to what I read they were when I read through the contract. As far as I know (without reconfirming with the contract) those rates are in fact correct. Now if you getting hired to mainline and get "forced reduced" into the LCC that changes things.
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Air Canada”