Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by Dockjock »

Old Fella there are financial incentives and disincentives in the contract that compel pilots to give 12 months notice, and to not use more than 8 sick days during that period.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Dockjock wrote:Old Fella there are financial incentives and disincentives in the contract that compel pilots to give 12 months notice, and to not use more than 8 sick days during that period.

I am not an AC pilot so it's good that you pointed out variances in regard to proposed retirement and associated incentives.

:wink:

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

The legality of this tactic is debatable.

60+pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 60+pilot »

Despite the leave of absence program now in effect it looks like a PIT course may run in Nov

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Good news! Thanks for the info

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

60+pilot wrote:Despite the leave of absence program now in effect it looks like a PIT course may run in Nov
That would definitely be some welcome news, but if there is a course in Nov the pool has not been notified yet. Not saying you're wrong, your previous prediction was bang on, but hopefully this is confirmed in the next week or so.

With all the negative outlook lately I'm surprised at this, I'm wondering what the reason behind it is.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

A reduction bid causes dislocation and incremental training expense plus forced mainline reductions in to Rouge positions are at mainline pay scales. If there are unbid vacancies at Rouge yet surpluses in the mainline fleet it is probably cheaper to offer mainline LOA and street hire in to Rouge if the mainline surpluses are not overly significant and not permanent.

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

An email went out to the pool today.

They confirmed that although they were considering a late November new hire course, they have decided there is no need, so no more hiring in 2014.

They did say that they expect the next course to be run in or around March 2015, but they have not indicated whether or not that will be the start of sustained hiring or just a single course.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I would take that with a grain of salt. Just like how they said they are running a Nov course, and now they are not. Don't be surprised if they email you in a week saying they need pilot's again (sarcasm).

Organization at such level is often times hard. Meaning the conclusion they come to now can very well change way before when they anticipate - in this case March.

Keep your chin up and best of luck to you! 8)

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

I suspect the offer of LOA'S and temporary suspension of the one year notification to retire didn't produce much.

We will know Tuesday when the next bid comes out.

Age 60 retirement ended in Dec 2012. Each bid looks out 1 year. Notice to retire is one year. So the bid out Tuesday will look out to the 3 year mark post the retirement change.

It might very well take another 2 years before we start to see substantial attrition on bids. It might happen on the next bid. Who knows. No one knows.

All we can do is make an educated guess based on retirements so far. That guess points to 64 becoming the new average age of retirement. If so we will start to see attrition showing up on bids a year from now. Sustained hiring 4 -6 months later.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Equipment bid delayed. Now will run in Nov. closing Dec. 02.

You won't see a course this year.

Sorry for those waiting.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

How many people are in the pool right now?

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

The number I heard was 60ish, plus what ever is added from the last batch of interviews...

777LR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 777LR »

little birdies are telling my at least 700 new hires by the end of 2017. Hang in there boys!

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

little birdies are telling my at least 700 new hires by the end of 2017. Hang in there boys!
With almost zero retirements for the next 2 years, that would mean 50 additional aircraft in 3 years. Not a chance. The outlook is positive for a couple extra fins by then, but let's be realistic here.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

snag wrote:
With almost zero retirements for the next 2 years, that would mean 50 additional aircraft in 3 years. Not a chance. The outlook is positive for a couple extra fins by then, but let's be realistic here.
I agree. With that said I heard the same thing and called BS on it at the YYZ meeting afterwards. It was pointed out to me that this was a “paper" projection. In other words the end of 2017 would project out 1 year. It is really a four year outlook. Also told it likely includes a Mega bid. Apparently AC has employed this in the past to reduce training costs in a rapid advancement condition?

Maybe you can explain that one to me. Has AC done this in the past?

Either way I still call BS on the number within 3 years. Positive though.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

even if it is half then that is good news, about 10 a month starting in the spring :)

TCAS II
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TCAS II »

How long have guys been waiting for a ground school date?

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

TCAS II wrote:How long have guys been waiting for a ground school date?
Lately? Years. There are still people in the pool from spring 2013. I've been in for 18 months now, I'm nowhere near the top of the list, and with no confirmed hiring in sight it will likely be over 2 years for me by the time things are all said and done, if I'm lucky.

It's quite poopy.

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

anyone know when they're going to open up the portal to add to said pool?

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground

Return to “Air Canada”