Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako

JoeyBarton
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by JoeyBarton »

But sustained hiring after that, the fleet growth speaks for itself..And we're not talking retirements yet..
---------- ADS -----------

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Rumours that poolies will be getting called this fall in ratios higher than 80/20 and not a peep here.

The silence is surprising...

biatch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by biatch »

80% Jazz is a minimum not a maximum

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

That's not the rumour...proof will be in pudding

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

You guys have got me all confused. What's the rumour exactly? That the ground schools will be closer to 100% Jazz or 60% Jazz? The way I understood it was as others have mentioned, that it was a minimum 80% Jazz flowthrough, so a smaller number of Jazz was not possible under the contract...

I should know better than to trust a rumour on avcanada, but I'm just curious as to what you mean.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

There are rumblings they are having a tough time meeting the 80% for various reasons so there is a possibility there will be more poolies on courses this fall.

Slappy - your phone should be ringing soon

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

For what it's not worth, no rumours on the line of the sort...

biatch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by biatch »

There's a whole bunch of Jazzers already interviewed and accepted. If they needed 100 pilots tomorrow, they would have 80 Jazz pilots available.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

biatch wrote:There's a whole bunch of Jazzers already interviewed and accepted. If they needed 100 pilots tomorrow, they would have 80 Jazz pilots available.
What about the "ripple effect", if Jazz let 80 pilots go to AC do they not have to start hiring to replace them and if so have they started to hire/train for this. Seems to me that the ball has to start rolling from the Jazz camp before the release to AC?

NW

biatch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by biatch »

They have created 46 upgrades and I think at least 3 upcoming gs in anticipation of flow

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Email to the pool today.

There is a PIT course scheduled for July 20th for 15 new hires, no specifics on how many would be coming out of the pool.

She said nothing is confirmed for the fall but they anticipate needing to do some hiring in the fall.

Some candidates have been contacted for medicals.

TCAS II
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TCAS II »

How many in the current pool? Any idea when the pool will be exhausted? Any ground-schools after the July one?

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

About 40 in the pool, but that number will drop by 3 due to July ground school. As far as a date goes, we do not know when the pool will be exhausted, but Air Canada has to hire approx 200 pilots before the current pool will be empty, so that's probably still a ways away. Maybe a year or more?

Only ground school planned is July, probably some in the fall, but nothing set in stone.

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Ok....from what i know.....with the last course we should be 35 in the pool left (that's with the PIT course run in July). There is rumour that AC will hire 15-16 pilots from the pool this fall. There is hope that the pool will be dried up by the end of the year ( yes that is 2015 ).....if everyhting goes as planned. Don't ask me what is the plan though! :lol: Hang in there and stay positive!!!

acpoolie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acpoolie »

Is it true they are starting another PML with Georgian??

I just noticed the post a couple above this one.... This must be down the road after the Jazz PML is complete eh?

Seems like one thing after another since I've been in the pool.

Anyone know the guys who were taken out of the pool this time around? Whats there back ground? Just trying to get an idea on what they are going after first.

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

flashheart wrote:Rumours that poolies will be getting called this fall in ratios higher than 80/20 and not a peep here.

The silence is surprising...
Interestingly enough I heard something similar to this just in the past few days. Apparently Jazz is very short staffed and may have a hard time letting pilots go for any September courses at AC. Not exactly a reliable source and I don't know how that would work with the contract they signed, I was pretty sure that as mentioned above the 80% is a minimum flowthrough rate... The only thing I can think of is if Jazz has some sort of opt-out clause in case they get short-staffed.

I guess we'll find out in a month or so.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

How could Jazz not see this coming? I hope they're not surprised...

Maxpwr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maxpwr »

I heard the guys at Sky are getting their PML sorted out soon to run concurrently with Jazz. Not sure what the ratio will be though. Third hand info.

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by rudder »

Maxpwr wrote:I heard the guys at Sky are getting their PML sorted out soon to run concurrently with Jazz. Not sure what the ratio will be though. Third hand info.
80% (Jazz) + 20% (OTS) = 100%

Not sure what other 'arrangement' will make the math work unless AC anticipate that the OTS pool will be empty sooner rather than later. I would think that some Jazz 8 year pilot waiting their turn on the PML would be thrilled to hear that a 2 year SKY or GGN pilot gets a number ahead of them at AC.

It may turn out that it would have been easier to integrate the AC Express lists DOH for the purpose of administering the PML. But for now, the language is pretty clear regarding the minimum 80/20 ratio where the 80 belongs exclusively to Jazz. Not sure that AC is currently accepting SKY or GGN applicants as OTS or not.

At the end of the day, the AC Express PML arrangement is intended to attract pilots to AC Express carriers so that that arm of the AC network can continue to function in a pilot labour supply chain environment that is contracting. It remains to be seen if that objective will be successful.

Maxpwr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maxpwr »

rudder wrote:
Maxpwr wrote:I heard the guys at Sky are getting their PML sorted out soon to run concurrently with Jazz. Not sure what the ratio will be though. Third hand info.
80% (Jazz) + 20% (OTS) = 100%

Not sure what other 'arrangement' will make the math work unless AC anticipate that the OTS pool will be empty sooner rather than later. I would think that some Jazz 8 year pilot waiting their turn on the PML would be thrilled to hear that a 2 year SKY or GGN pilot gets a number ahead of them at AC.

It may turn out that it would have been easier to integrate the AC Express lists DOH for the purpose of administering the PML. But for now, the language is pretty clear regarding the minimum 80/20 ratio where the 80 belongs exclusively to Jazz. Not sure that AC is currently accepting SKY or GGN applicants as OTS or not.

At the end of the day, the AC Express PML arrangement is intended to attract pilots to AC Express carriers so that that arm of the AC network can continue to function in a pilot labour supply chain environment that is contracting. It remains to be seen if that objective will be successful.
I believe the 80% Jazz is to remain intact. It was suggested that the remaining 20% would be comprised of Sky/GGN/EVAS (not sure about OTS) I think they're simply getting to the point of formalizing PML's for the other Express carriers besides Jazz as was promised by AC.

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Well I hope they will empty the current pool before adding new PML from other feeders.

Although I heared that the current pool would be empty by the end of this year. It would be sad to see us poolies put on the side.....again (still remember the little frenzy we got in January....)

Anyway I'm staying highly positive to get the call in the not too distant future!

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

There is formal talk of this from management but no details as yet. It is said to include the other 2 Express carriers as well.

PROC_HDG

Calin Robandfistyou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calin Robandfistyou »

PML pilots shall form no less than 80% of the pilots hired by AC. Once the PML has been exhausted, AC will introduce the FPMA which will apply to all of its contracted regional carriers

Unless Georgian or sky pilots get hired as OTS pilots, then they will have to wait until the Jazz PML has been exhausted. I'm sure the talks are just planning for that day.

I would imagine that If jazz can't keep up with the demand from air canada then a LOU would have to be signed and that it would include some kind of reserved seniority number system for bypassed jazz PML guys

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

I know that I have posted earlier that we ''should'' be 35 in the pool as the last July PIC course must have started. Does anyone have the official number to date?

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

New bid just released. Showing 217 vacancies now.

Return to “Air Canada”