Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by Saxub »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:I would think, as long as you don't update your application with AC, they would treat it as OTS.

If I were unemployed, I would take SR, interview with AC, do my two years at SR or at least have an open conversation with them about your AC application.

Good luck.

S.

It might be worth it to see if you can get into contact with someone at HR. Either by phone, email or even LinkedIn. I'm sure they would be able to clear things up for you.
---------- ADS -----------

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke p »

Old fella wrote:I do have a question , just as an observer to this conversation. Why would AC reject applicants from JAZZ( I assume that's what PFO means), one would think guys/gals at JAZZ certainly have the qualifications and experience. They fly many of the same routes/WX/airports as AC domestic and certainly have background in airline operations. I would have thought those are the candidates That would be most desirable. I am beginning to think as of late, airlines are getting to be a strange business.
There are a lot of reasons applicants from the Jazz PML are rejected. Former disciplinary action, general work attendance, a "don't hire that guy" from a current AC pilot, suspicious book-offs, an "internal non-referral" from Jazz management, (yes some do answer to AC). I wouldn't question it for a second if someone were to mention AC sent over a few managers to do a little "personal investigating" well in advance of the PML contract even being signed.

In a lot of cases, the only determining factor is the interview. Pointed and some subtle questions are asked about the candidates ability to work well with former Jazz First Officers, who are now well above them on the seniority list. It's pretty easy to see if a candidate is harbouring a form of resentment, either about not being hired earlier, or about the former merger issue of the early 90's. Attitude....fail that in any way, and no thanks.

The bottom line is that it's not just about "experience", as it's already a given.

DP.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

"There are a lot of reasons applicants from the Jazz PML are rejected. Former disciplinary action, general work attendance, a "don't hire that guy" from a current AC pilot, suspicious book-offs, an "internal non-referral" from Jazz management, (yes some do answer to AC). I wouldn't question it for a second if someone were to mention AC sent over a few managers to do a little "personal investigating" well in advance of the PML contract even being signed.

In a lot of cases, the only determining factor is the interview. Pointed and some subtle questions are asked about the candidates ability to work well with former Jazz First Officers, who are now well above them on the seniority list. It's pretty easy to see if a candidate is harbouring a form of resentment, either about not being hired earlier, or about the former merger issue of the early 90's. Attitude....fail that in any way, and no thanks.

The bottom line is that it's not just about "experience", as it's already a given."

Agreed. I should have qualified my commentary with" all things being equal, personal suitability etc." Reading between the lines on some of the post on this subject, I get the impression(subject to correction, of course) AC has rejected a number of JAZZ applicants

gimmepars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gimmepars »

My thought is to stay put until after the anticipated AC interview. If you get the job, great, if not, head to an express carrier for another chance to interview at AC via the PML. I'm in the same boat.

Cheers

Jimmy2 wrote:What should one do regarding Regional job application if you are still waiting for the phone interview from Mainline? I was told to expect a phone interview in 12 months (if nothing changes). That was about 6 months ago. I see Sky Regional advertising for Embraer F/O positions which wouldn't be a bad job. But if I go there what happens with my Air Canada application? Do I get sent to the bottom of the PML pile? What would you guys do? Just wait 6 more months and then make a decision?

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

gimmepars wrote:My thought is to stay put until after the anticipated AC interview. If you get the job, great, if not, head to an express carrier for another chance to interview at AC via the PML. I'm in the same boat.
No! I want as little competition as possible for the OTS positions!

On that note, has anyone who got the "we expect to contact you sometime within the next 12 months to invite you for a phone interview" email received said phone interview? I know I haven't, but maybe someone else has.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The funny thing is they hired several problem individuals through the PMA. I spoke with a CP at my company and he said they were quite happy to see them go. Bottom line is you can analyze all you want but there is no way to figure out the hiring matrix. I don't think management is going to say "don't hire this person".

Let’s Go Brandon
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Part of the PML language was that the only personal information that was supposed to be divulged by Jazz to AC was one's training file. Attendance/disciplinary information was not supposed to be shared. However I sincerely doubt if that was actually adhered to when processing PML candidates. The reason being that AC ended up hiring individuals with abysmal attendance records( one in particular had attained the worst level of attendance for pilots in our company AMP(attendance management plan) while others had poor training files. Meanwhile others with good attendance records and good training files got PFO'd. There has been absolutely no rhyme or reason to who is successful and who is not.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Furthermore, AC has given offers of employment to individuals who expressed reservations(during the interview, no less!)about actually wanting to make the jump to AC(not the right time, family illness etc) meanwhile PFO'ing individuals who really wanted to go. Kind of makes for some awkward crew room situations

TomC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TomC »

AOW wrote:
gimmepars wrote:My thought is to stay put until after the anticipated AC interview. If you get the job, great, if not, head to an express carrier for another chance to interview at AC via the PML. I'm in the same boat.
No! I want as little competition as possible for the OTS positions!

On that note, has anyone who got the "we expect to contact you sometime within the next 12 months to invite you for a phone interview" email received said phone interview? I know I haven't, but maybe someone else has.

AOW,
Got the email, still waiting to hear anything. Good luck.
T

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Inverted2 wrote:The funny thing is they hired several problem individuals through the PMA. I spoke with a CP at my company and he said they were quite happy to see them go. Bottom line is you can analyze all you want but there is no way to figure out the hiring matrix. I don't think management is going to say "don't hire this person".
Works opposite direction as well, so called problem employees at one organization turn out to be model workers at a different place. I was on a few interview panels during my time at the Regulator and saw a couple examples of this, individuals who were listed as questionable by their employer/peers turned out to do well for themselves. When one hears of "several problem individuals" from the same place it could be that organization itself has specific challenges. Remember not everybody is right and not everybody is wrong.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

When does the next equipment bid come out?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Equipment bid is open right now... Closes this week.

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke p »

Closes today...the 14th. According to the "interim bid" I cannot believe how junior former "senior" positions will go. Four years to 320 Skipper (think an early PML list guy could hold it already.....if not real close), two years to EMJ Skip............between the Rouge ops and Mainline we have about 120 vacancies FO 767, over a 160 open positions FO 320, new hire vacancies in YVR as well.

The world is ending....or something is just really messed up.

Duke.

Texan1256
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Texan1256 »

With so many openings, how can the Training Dept. be only running one course per month for the next year and interviewing being on hold? I've heard that the Training Dept. is really backed up, but surely this problem is only going to compound?

Anybody out there waiting for an interview getting any emails? Everyone I know waiting for an interview haven't heard a thing yet.

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke p »

yes...there is a training problem......or there will be one shortly. I'm sure solutions are being considered in the "reopener"...... however, it doesn't change the fact that guys start retiring soon, and matters are only going to get worse. Currently guys are being "held in position" until a training slot opens.
DP.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

bruced007 wrote:Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...
How will hiring outside of the experienced jet captains and airline pilots they are currently getting from Sky, GGN and Jazz help the training crunch? Seems like AC is pretty happy with the way this is shaping up?

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Hiring from jazz/Sky also means replacing those pilots in their express carriers...
AllClutch wrote:
bruced007 wrote:Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...
How will hiring outside of the experienced jet captains and airline pilots they are currently getting from Sky, GGN and Jazz help the training crunch? Seems like AC is pretty happy with the way this is shaping up?

Dixon_rd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dixon_rd »

They can grab experienced guys from WestJet... Theres a few waiting to apply next time the portal opens up.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Dixon_rd wrote:They can grab experienced guys from WestJet... Theres a few waiting to apply next time the portal opens up.
.... that's what I mean by OTS hiring ... pilots from WJ, AT and Sunwing.

Return to “Air Canada”