Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by Old fella »

BingBong wrote:
altiplano wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:There are people who have been at jazz for 15 years without an ATPL.
What have they been doing? That's unbelievable...
Actually the number one YYZ D8 f/o has been here I believe 25+ yrs...no atpl
Yikes........ right seat on a prop driver for 25+ yrs, must be quite a life style such an individual has in order to stay there let alone the increase in salary by moving to left seat. Notwithstanding the money lost in pensionable benefits as said person is looking at retirement with that kind time on the job. Then again I am not an airline pilot so what do I know.
---------- ADS -----------

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

Money is not a problem for him...or so I have been told. And a nicer, more considerate person would be very hard to find.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Bajan Pilot wrote:Money is not a problem for him...or so I have been told. And a nicer, more considerate person would be very hard to find.
+1

Let’s Go Brandon
crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

Inverted2 wrote:
Bajan Pilot wrote:Money is not a problem for him...or so I have been told. And a nicer, more considerate person would be very hard to find.
+1
quite literally he would give you the shirt off his back and then go try to find a store that was open to get you a couple more just in case you needed them, one of the nicest people I've ever met!

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Inverted2 wrote:
+1

+10000000000. Always a pleasure to hang out with

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

A rarity for sure, money isn’t an issue, satisfied with the position he currently occupies, undoubtable happy/helpful and a pleasure to be around. Very positive attributes for sure and to that end- may the force be with him.

:partyman:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Old fella wrote:
BingBong wrote:
altiplano wrote:
What have they been doing? That's unbelievable...
Actually the number one YYZ D8 f/o has been here I believe 25+ yrs...no atpl
Yikes........ right seat on a prop driver for 25+ yrs, must be quite a life style such an individual has in order to stay there let alone the increase in salary by moving to left seat. Notwithstanding the money lost in pensionable benefits as said person is looking at retirement with that kind time on the job. Then again I am not an airline pilot so what do I know.
Being number one or at least the top at your base, getting every pairing you want, and the days off/vacations you ask for while making over 100k a year is enough for some people. I can understand the appeal, and for some people they have no aspirations of being left seat especially if they have a great schedule and enjoy what they do.

I met a FO the other day who after over 20 years decided to make the hop to the left seat.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

There are lots of pilots at AC that are 20+ years seniority and choose right seat B787/777.

Great pay. Great schedule. Great lifestyle.

One clear benefit of the seniority system is that it allows individuals to make individual choices based on their own priorities without sacrificing the option to modify those choices at a later date.

Every pilot that chooses to bypass an upgrade opportunity creates an upgrade opportunity for a less senior pilot. Win-Win.

romeosierra273
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romeosierra273 »

Hi guys,

In a previous post it was mentionned :
The unofficial guide projects retirements to be roughly:
2017 - 60
2018 - 70
2019 - 100
2020 - 100
2021 - 95
2022 - 120
2023 - 130
2024 - 120
2025 - 120
2026 - 150
2027 - 165
2028 - 160

The first group retiring later this decade are the rest baby boomers, the second wave of retirements is from the hiring wave between 1995-1999 (about 600 hired) where the bulk of the pilots were hired between 35-40 years old and will be in their early 60's between 2025-2030.
Anybody has a more "official" source about the numbers?

Cheers and best wishes!

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

There isn't an official list because many can retire without penalty starting at age 60. The option to stay to age 65 is still too new to map out any predictable average age. Even then, it's a best guess. Probably smart to count on each to stay until 65. As far as I have heard, from a reliable source, there are about 300 age 60 or older now. Also about 1200 between 50-59.
Of that latter group, many will need to stay beyond 60 to prevent an early retirement penalty.

romeosierra273
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by romeosierra273 »

Ah_yeah wrote:There isn't an official list because many can retire without penalty starting at age 60. The option to stay to age 65 is still too new to map out any predictable average age. Even then, it's a best guess. Probably smart to count on each to stay until 65. As far as I have heard, from a reliable source, there are about 300 age 60 or older now. Also about 1200 between 50-59.
Of that latter group, many will need to stay beyond 60 to prevent an early retirement penalty.
Thank you for your answer!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

How much notice does a guy need to give to retire? Can he be 62 thinking he was going to work to 65 and end up just being like F this I'm done and retire at the end of the month?

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Does anyone know what the latest training report looks like? Wondering what the next ground school may offer (I know it's not concrete, but just wondering if there's an educated guess for openings other than the 320/EMJ.) given routes starting summer 2017.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

All emb, 320 and a few 767...

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Are 767 relief pilots given full type ratings at AC these days or do they do a shortened course?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

767 RPs are going, going...

Previously RPs were given full courses but the company is looking to change it I think.

Oliver Close-off
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oliver Close-off »

A little "DaveP" would go a long way in this thread.

Return to “Air Canada”