Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Inverted2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada Pool

#1226 Post by Inverted2 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:36 pm

The funny thing is they hired several problem individuals through the PMA. I spoke with a CP at my company and he said they were quite happy to see them go. Bottom line is you can analyze all you want but there is no way to figure out the hiring matrix. I don't think management is going to say "don't hire this person".
---------- ADS -----------

hithere
Rank 3
Rank 3

#1227 Post by hithere » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Part of the PML language was that the only personal information that was supposed to be divulged by Jazz to AC was one's training file. Attendance/disciplinary information was not supposed to be shared. However I sincerely doubt if that was actually adhered to when processing PML candidates. The reason being that AC ended up hiring individuals with abysmal attendance records( one in particular had attained the worst level of attendance for pilots in our company AMP(attendance management plan) while others had poor training files. Meanwhile others with good attendance records and good training files got PFO'd. There has been absolutely no rhyme or reason to who is successful and who is not.

hithere
Rank 3
Rank 3

#1228 Post by hithere » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Furthermore, AC has given offers of employment to individuals who expressed reservations(during the interview, no less!)about actually wanting to make the jump to AC(not the right time, family illness etc) meanwhile PFO'ing individuals who really wanted to go. Kind of makes for some awkward crew room situations

TomC
Rank 1
Rank 1

#1229 Post by TomC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:08 pm

AOW wrote:
gimmepars wrote:My thought is to stay put until after the anticipated AC interview. If you get the job, great, if not, head to an express carrier for another chance to interview at AC via the PML. I'm in the same boat.
No! I want as little competition as possible for the OTS positions!

On that note, has anyone who got the "we expect to contact you sometime within the next 12 months to invite you for a phone interview" email received said phone interview? I know I haven't, but maybe someone else has.

AOW,
Got the email, still waiting to hear anything. Good luck.
T

Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#1230 Post by Old fella » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Inverted2 wrote:The funny thing is they hired several problem individuals through the PMA. I spoke with a CP at my company and he said they were quite happy to see them go. Bottom line is you can analyze all you want but there is no way to figure out the hiring matrix. I don't think management is going to say "don't hire this person".
Works opposite direction as well, so called problem employees at one organization turn out to be model workers at a different place. I was on a few interview panels during my time at the Regulator and saw a couple examples of this, individuals who were listed as questionable by their employer/peers turned out to do well for themselves. When one hears of "several problem individuals" from the same place it could be that organization itself has specific challenges. Remember not everybody is right and not everybody is wrong.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

#1231 Post by Lemon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:01 pm

When does the next equipment bid come out?

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#1232 Post by altiplano » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Equipment bid is open right now... Closes this week.

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

#1233 Post by Duke p » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 am

Closes today...the 14th. According to the "interim bid" I cannot believe how junior former "senior" positions will go. Four years to 320 Skipper (think an early PML list guy could hold it already.....if not real close), two years to EMJ Skip............between the Rouge ops and Mainline we have about 120 vacancies FO 767, over a 160 open positions FO 320, new hire vacancies in YVR as well.

The world is ending....or something is just really messed up.

Duke.

Texan1256
Rank 0
Rank 0

#1234 Post by Texan1256 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:07 am

With so many openings, how can the Training Dept. be only running one course per month for the next year and interviewing being on hold? I've heard that the Training Dept. is really backed up, but surely this problem is only going to compound?

Anybody out there waiting for an interview getting any emails? Everyone I know waiting for an interview haven't heard a thing yet.

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

#1235 Post by Duke p » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:32 pm

yes...there is a training problem......or there will be one shortly. I'm sure solutions are being considered in the "reopener"...... however, it doesn't change the fact that guys start retiring soon, and matters are only going to get worse. Currently guys are being "held in position" until a training slot opens.
DP.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

#1236 Post by bruced007 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

#1237 Post by AllClutch » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:53 pm

bruced007 wrote:Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...
How will hiring outside of the experienced jet captains and airline pilots they are currently getting from Sky, GGN and Jazz help the training crunch? Seems like AC is pretty happy with the way this is shaping up?

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

#1238 Post by bruced007 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Hiring from jazz/Sky also means replacing those pilots in their express carriers...
AllClutch wrote:
bruced007 wrote:Its about time they started OTS hiring rather than just focusing on the PML...
How will hiring outside of the experienced jet captains and airline pilots they are currently getting from Sky, GGN and Jazz help the training crunch? Seems like AC is pretty happy with the way this is shaping up?

Dixon_rd
Rank 0
Rank 0

#1239 Post by Dixon_rd » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:28 am

They can grab experienced guys from WestJet... Theres a few waiting to apply next time the portal opens up.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

#1240 Post by bruced007 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:30 am

Dixon_rd wrote:They can grab experienced guys from WestJet... Theres a few waiting to apply next time the portal opens up.
.... that's what I mean by OTS hiring ... pilots from WJ, AT and Sunwing.

dhc#
Rank 4
Rank 4

#1241 Post by dhc# » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:56 am

There will be a great deal of poaching happening soon.

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

#1242 Post by livinlife » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:41 pm

AllClutch wrote:

There was only one reason AC started this PML in the first place and don't kid yourself into thinking it was for experience. It gave Jazz a way to loose the highly paid senior drivers and get all the new replacements on a B scale. The reason they offered a verbal agreement to sky and georgian was to use it as a carrot to attract people to wokr for shit pay and conditons for the big shot at Mainline someday.

Now with 400+ jobs for the next year, you really think they are going to poach there own carriers like they did this past year? I am willing to bet it goes to at least a 50/50 OTS/AC Brand.

Lots of guys OTS with invaluable experience as well, not just Jazz.

Did you get your shot yet Allclutch?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

#1243 Post by atphat » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 am

AllClutch wrote: How will hiring outside of the experienced jet captains and airline pilots they are currently getting from Sky, GGN and Jazz help the training crunch?
Believe it or not AC was fine before jazz guys starting pouring in. They needed quick meat in the seat, and to lower costs at jazz. Viola. The PML. Don't get me wrong. It's great these guys have tons of experience, no one is saying otherwise. But those positions could have easily been filled by any other non jazz pilots successfully.

Say Altitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

#1244 Post by Say Altitude » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:17 am

dhc# wrote:There will be a great deal of poaching happening soon.
Are you speaking of the rumour of ACPA proposing to the Company that they offer signing bonuses to WJA (or SW/AT) pilots who are typed on the 737 so it fast tracks the entry of the MAX at Mainline next year?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

#1245 Post by atphat » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 am

Type rated pilots would still have to do a full course at AC.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

#1246 Post by aV1aTOr » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 am

Say Altitude wrote:
dhc# wrote:There will be a great deal of poaching happening soon.
Are you speaking of the rumour of ACPA proposing to the Company that they offer signing bonuses to WJA (or SW/AT) pilots who are typed on the 737 so it fast tracks the entry of the MAX at Mainline next year?
This comment speaks to a complete lack of understanding of how hiring / training / award of vacancies / seniority works at AC. As has been stated, any type rated pilot must still go through the exact same training matrix as a non rated new hire. As well, all new hires are placed according to the vacancies made available to that class as that time. And furthermore the awarding of those positions within the class falls according to class seniority which is determined prior to type/base awards. This is all outside of the fact that any 737 positions going to new hires (they will in time) is purely based on the result of CMSC reviews and the desires of pilots on property to fill or not fill any 737 jobs before they go to new hires.
Besides all that, I'm certain the company is more than highly confident in the skills and abilities of current AC pilots to adapt to a new (seems strange to call a 50 year old design "new") type in the fleet.
Now would AC take any pleasure in poaching pilots from WJ/SW/AT? You betcha they would.

FL320
Rank 2
Rank 2

#1247 Post by FL320 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 pm

dhc#
Rank 4
Rank 4

#1248 Post by dhc# » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 am

Any rumblings when PMA 2.0 will be out ??

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7

#1249 Post by TheStig » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 am

Not a word. There are still hundreds of pilots still at Jazz who have deferred there position at AC.

Maver!ck
Rank 1
Rank 1

#1250 Post by Maver!ck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 pm

TheStig wrote:Not a word. There are still hundreds of pilots still at Jazz who have deferred there position at AC.

How many exactly ? Anyone have an idea ?

Return to “Air Canada”