Employee Standby Travel Line

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Employee Standby Travel Line

Post by JoeyBarton »

I just doublechecked, and it is not, definately not on myidtravel yet.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm guessing what you are saying is that while AC employees can book on myIDTravel, AC itself isn't on there. Probably on the way.

BE10Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BE10Driver »

Does anyone have any info from AC interline department as to when AC will be up and running on myIDtravel? In other words, when will we be able to book AC as non-AC employees via myidtravel?

Winjeel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Winjeel »

I just tried signing in to myidtravel.com using my AC employee number and password with no success. I tried registering but that didn't work. Anyone else had problems?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Try HR Connex 1-855-855-0785 or hr.rh@aircanada.ca

Winjeel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Winjeel »

Thanks. I am in Australia at the moment so I sent HR an email yesterday. Just an automated reply so far.

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JestWet »

There is nothing reciprocal about the AC reciprocal jumpseat.

I'm sure if I kept a tab I'd find that I have wasted weeks of my life listening to busy signals, waiting on hold, getting disconnected, redialing, etc. Then, if by some miracle, I do manage to get myself listed, I've been turned away at the counter countless times because the flight already had 1 jumpseater on board - even though the flight is leaving half empty. Most pilots I know don't even bother with it any more.

I'm sure someone will sharply point out that it is a free airline ticket and I should be happy with what I get. I don't disagree with this - to some extent. The issue is that this is supposed to be a RECIPROCAL agreement. A friend of mine at AC was on a commuting AC flight when it went mechanical during pushback. He picked up the phone, called WJ and was listed on the next flight that departed 15 minutes later. There is no way that a WJ pilot could do this on AC - not unless he had 4 hours to kill between flights.

Also, the one jumpseat rule? I've operated WJ flights where we have had more reciprocal pilots on board than we did paying passengers. I've also seen WJ employees take the actual flight deck jumpseat just so it could free up a seat in the back to squeeze on one more reciprocal pilot.

Sure, we have the benefit of using the reciprocal JS to access AC's overseas routes (although I doubt that many do) but I still think that AC is getting the better end of the agreement. The AC "reciprocal" jumpseat is almost useless for a commuter. I have many friends at AC who will flat-out tell you that they could not live where they live and make the commute work if not for WJ and the reciprocal jumpseat. There is no limit to the amount of seats, and when they call, they get through immediately (or at worst they get a call-back in 10 minutes).

I certainly don't want to see the agreement go away but when the level of service deteriorates to the point where you can't even get through without a busy signal, or spending 3 hours with a phone glued to your ear, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the relationship.

Believe me, the lack of reciprocity is not going unnoticed by WestJet. Don't be surprised if you see things change with regards to the AC/WJ reciprocal jumpseat agreement.

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

Jestwet is absolutely correct.
I believe the whole J/S issue is due to be revisited. There are bush companies that no longer offer scheduled service on the Recip lists who bring nothing to the table and treated the same as a Westjet employee.
I think we need to find a better system for accommodating Porter and Westjet ect. pilots and facilitating their travel. I know my commute would be very difficult without Westjet and they are always a pleasure to book on.
I think those working for companies that fall into the farce category of reciprocity would be best served to keep their mouths shut lest someone take notice of how little they contribute to the program.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

JestWet wrote:There is nothing reciprocal about the AC reciprocal jumpseat.

I'm sure if I kept a tab I'd find that I have wasted weeks of my life listening to busy signals, waiting on hold, getting disconnected, redialing, etc. Then, if by some miracle, I do manage to get myself listed, I've been turned away at the counter countless times because the flight already had 1 jumpseater on board - even though the flight is leaving half empty. Most pilots I know don't even bother with it any more.

I'm sure someone will sharply point out that it is a free airline ticket and I should be happy with what I get. I don't disagree with this - to some extent. The issue is that this is supposed to be a RECIPROCAL agreement. A friend of mine at AC was on a commuting AC flight when it went mechanical during pushback. He picked up the phone, called WJ and was listed on the next flight that departed 15 minutes later. There is no way that a WJ pilot could do this on AC - not unless he had 4 hours to kill between flights.

Also, the one jumpseat rule? I've operated WJ flights where we have had more reciprocal pilots on board than we did paying passengers. I've also seen WJ employees take the actual flight deck jumpseat just so it could free up a seat in the back to squeeze on one more reciprocal pilot.

Sure, we have the benefit of using the reciprocal JS to access AC's overseas routes (although I doubt that many do) but I still think that AC is getting the better end of the agreement. The AC "reciprocal" jumpseat is almost useless for a commuter. I have many friends at AC who will flat-out tell you that they could not live where they live and make the commute work if not for WJ and the reciprocal jumpseat. There is no limit to the amount of seats, and when they call, they get through immediately (or at worst they get a call-back in 10 minutes).

I certainly don't want to see the agreement go away but when the level of service deteriorates to the point where you can't even get through without a busy signal, or spending 3 hours with a phone glued to your ear, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the relationship.

Believe me, the lack of reciprocity is not going unnoticed by WestJet. Don't be surprised if you see things change with regards to the AC/WJ reciprocal jumpseat agreement.
I would like to offer a solution that WestJet pilots could pass onto the powers-that-be. Currently Air Canada uses a web based internet portal called MyIDtravel that was developed by Lufthansa for interline staff pass and jumpseat travel. It's a wonderful system that allows employees to list and ticket in minutes online. To date,Air Canada is participating with about 30 airlines utilizing the portal,with more existing agreements transitioning to the portal,which Air Canada employees access through their travel website profile. I'll to a step further and also suggest that it should be a full agreement for all employees from both airlines. In my view it would be a win-win for everyone. To give you an idea how versatile the system is,you can refund tickets and also relist using an existing ticket for different flights/dates on the same routing.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

AC pilots who JS on WJ could possibly start asking the powers that be to start making some changes. Would hate to see WJ start putting restrictions on you. We need to help each other and it should be equally fair.

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JestWet »

Thanks for the input Splash. WestJet has been a part of myIDtravel for several years now. Unfortunately, AC is not on our list for ID travel nor does it offer any option to list for reciprocal jumpseats on any carrier. I like your way of thinking though.

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

AC pilots who JS on WJ could possibly start asking the powers that be to start making some changes. Would hate to see WJ start putting restrictions on you. We need to help each other and it should be equally fair.

Sure, and while we're on the discussion of "FAIR"...
AC might as well limit the reciprocal jumpseat travels to that of the WJ network no? Certainty is not fair that an AC employee can only get somewhere in North America (mainly) but an WJ employee can get almost ANYWHERE in the world on AC reciprocal program.

As you mentioned, it should be equally fair right?

Give you head a shake man! Sitting on here whining because your "near" free travel to anywhere in the world isn't as efficient as it could be.

And to the person who mentioned booking a WJ jumpseat ticket and getting on a flight 15 minutes later its BS. It can take up to an hour getting through to WJ call center as well sometimes, plus there is no web checkin (which by the way AC does offers!).

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JestWet »

And the award for most ignorant post on the internet goes to...

So, what you're saying is that because it is possible to take an Air Canada jumpseat to say, Tel Aviv, then it is acceptable to expect pilots to spend anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days trying to get through to book a jumpseat? WestJet has codeshare agreements in place with almost every major airline on the planet and accompanying jumpseat agreements as well. We certainly don't depend on a free AC jumpseat when we want to go on holidays. Like I said, not many people that I know of use the reciprocal JS to travel the globe. Most people travelling for leisure tend to travel with their families. In my experience, the reciprocal JS is used mainly by commuters and, when travelling within Canada, WJ does not treat its reciprocal jumpseaters any differently than it does its fare-paying guests.

I don't see anyone who is "sitting on here whining" as you put it - It's a discussion. Fine, let's cancel the AC/WJ reciprocal jumpseat agreement. Like I said, most WJ pilots I know don't even bother with it anymore. The same can not be said for many AC pilots who rely on us to get to work.

If you really see it as unfair, then let's limit the JS travel to within North America. I am quite sure that no one would have any issue with that. The point is, no one should have to spend half a day listening to busy signals, redialing, and waiting on hold in this day & age. It is for this reason that the AC jumpseat agreement is somewhat one-sided and almost unuseable where as the jumpseats of other airlines, on the other hand, are easily accessible to AC pilots. That is the point of this dialogue, nothing else.

By the way, I was the one who mentioned a person booking a WJ jumpseat and then getting on 15 minutes later and it is not, as you so beautifully put it, BS. I witnessed it myself and the pilot was very grateful as he would not have made it to work otherwise.

Also, WestJet does indeed have web check-in. I'm not sure where you got your information from. This is 2015 - the only airline left in the world that thinks it's acceptable to have someone wait on hold listening to advertisements for 3 hours is, well, Air Canada.

Thank you for your mature & productive input to this open discussion. Instead of trying to work together to find a collaborative solution that works for everyone you offer such insightful wisdom as "give your head a shake man".

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

1. yes, you are whining. You want change? Let me ask you, what are you going to change by complaining on a forum? Go talk to your association. Tell them your concerns. Have them bring it up with an ACPA representative. Have them call the person in charge of the reciprocal jumpseat at AC. Posting on here won't likely change anything. Call up your AC friends. Have them bring it up to their members.

If you want to initiate change, then come on here and make a post to do as you said "initiate change", ask questions of who to contact, get a group going. Coming on here and telling a sob story is NOT working together.

2. You missed my point completely! My point wasn't saying the network system is unfair and should change. My point was 1 system offers Pro's that the other system does not.

3. I have MANY friends at different 704/705 carriers that travel the world with AC program constantly. Most are commuters yes but many do use it for their own personal travel. Most of them being employees working at small operations that don't have any beneficial travel privileges.

4. I have used both systems to commute in the past. Both have pros and cons. AC offers more flights and more options. WJ is easier and more reliable to get a seat. HOWEVER, I have never spent more than 1.5 hour of the phone EVER with either companies! Most people will book their ticket the day before. If you plan ahead and give yourself a day or two, to find the best time to book your ticket with AC/WJ then its a non event. Again, I used it for 2 years and never had major issues.
The busy signal. Can be beat as well!

5. Now it's been a while but if I recall (again it may be wrong now or different) but doesn't WJ charge a small service charge ontop of the taxes/fees?

6. Sorry, when I used WJ 2-3 years ago for jumpseat they did not have a web check in. They required you to manually check in and see an agent before proceeding past security. I retract that statement.

Disagree with me all you want. But in 3 pages of posts, has anyone even bother to ask for a number of someone to contact? an email? a name?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

JestWet reciprocal jumpseaters cannot check in online or at the kiosk with Westjet. You have to wait in line with the "too stupid to check in online" crowd, often up to 30 minutes.

Also in your previous post you mentioned that you get denied if there is a jumpseater ahead of you. The only aircraft AC has that doesn't have at least 2 jumpseats is the Embraer. Everything else would require 2 people ahead of you. I jumpseat a lot and it's never happened to me.

And as DH772 says, Westjet is the only company I have ever heard of that charges a fee for processing reciprocal jumpseat tickets.

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JestWet »

Good post Ahramin. I wasn't aware that jumpseaters could not check in online. This seems strange to me. I'll do a little digging on my end to see what the rationale is behind that and see if it is possible to work towards having that changed.

It's been a while since I've been turned away because of multiple jumpseaters but my recollection is that the Jazz Dash-8 and RJs only have one jumpseat. I know this is no fault of AC but, unfortunately, to book a jumpseat on Jazz you are required to use AC's antiquated telephone system.
It sure would be nice if we could ALL move to an online platform for listing & checking in. Or, better yet, do it like the American carriers do and just show up at the gate with your red pass and ask if there's any availability.

I believe the nominal fee for WJ reciprocal jumpseaters is $2.50 which is the same fee that any WJ employee pays for standby travel. The reason for this, so I've been told, is that by charging a nominal fee, CRA can never claim they have grounds to come after the employees for standby travel as a taxable benefit. I'm not sure why it would apply to non-WJ employees in this case but my speculation is that it may be for fear of "rocking the boat" with some of the other employee groups if reciprocal pilots are traveling for cheaper than they are. I can look a little deeper into that as well.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

DH772 wrote:yes, you are whining. You want change? Let me ask you, what are you going to change by complaining on a forum? Go talk to your association. Tell them your concerns. Have them bring it up with an ACPA representative. Have them call the person in charge of the reciprocal jumpseat at AC. Posting on here won't likely change anything.
JestWet wrote:I wasn't aware that jumpseaters could not check in online. This seems strange to me. I'll do a little digging on my end to see what the rationale is behind that and see if it is possible to work towards having that changed.
DH772, jumpseat reps meeting in back rooms haven't managed to get our cockpit jumpseats back in 13 years. Nor have they prevented the current mess that is trying to get listed for an AC jumpseat. The only way it's going to change is from pressure from the various pilot groups. The way to generate that pressure, and pass information around between the pilot groups as to what the problems are, is to have discussions like the one we are having. Nothing is served by telling people not to talk about it between themselves.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

DH772,
My point was that we need to look out for each other, and if that means WJ impliment online checkin then so be it. Fair is fair. I was not being one sided. I have spoken to several AC pilots who use WJ all the time, the main reason being that we do not over sell and it is usually easy to know if you will get on or not. Additionally they love the fact that they know they will not be denied a seat because 2 other guys had an earlier time stamp. This is a big deal for a pilot working for an airline that has no commuter policy. How you feel that I am whining is beyond me.

Return to “Air Canada”