Employee Standby Travel Line

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

JestWet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Employee Standby Travel Line

#76 Post by JestWet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Good post Ahramin. I wasn't aware that jumpseaters could not check in online. This seems strange to me. I'll do a little digging on my end to see what the rationale is behind that and see if it is possible to work towards having that changed.

It's been a while since I've been turned away because of multiple jumpseaters but my recollection is that the Jazz Dash-8 and RJs only have one jumpseat. I know this is no fault of AC but, unfortunately, to book a jumpseat on Jazz you are required to use AC's antiquated telephone system.
It sure would be nice if we could ALL move to an online platform for listing & checking in. Or, better yet, do it like the American carriers do and just show up at the gate with your red pass and ask if there's any availability.

I believe the nominal fee for WJ reciprocal jumpseaters is $2.50 which is the same fee that any WJ employee pays for standby travel. The reason for this, so I've been told, is that by charging a nominal fee, CRA can never claim they have grounds to come after the employees for standby travel as a taxable benefit. I'm not sure why it would apply to non-WJ employees in this case but my speculation is that it may be for fear of "rocking the boat" with some of the other employee groups if reciprocal pilots are traveling for cheaper than they are. I can look a little deeper into that as well.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

#77 Post by ahramin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

DH772 wrote:yes, you are whining. You want change? Let me ask you, what are you going to change by complaining on a forum? Go talk to your association. Tell them your concerns. Have them bring it up with an ACPA representative. Have them call the person in charge of the reciprocal jumpseat at AC. Posting on here won't likely change anything.
JestWet wrote:I wasn't aware that jumpseaters could not check in online. This seems strange to me. I'll do a little digging on my end to see what the rationale is behind that and see if it is possible to work towards having that changed.
DH772, jumpseat reps meeting in back rooms haven't managed to get our cockpit jumpseats back in 13 years. Nor have they prevented the current mess that is trying to get listed for an AC jumpseat. The only way it's going to change is from pressure from the various pilot groups. The way to generate that pressure, and pass information around between the pilot groups as to what the problems are, is to have discussions like the one we are having. Nothing is served by telling people not to talk about it between themselves.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

#78 Post by 3down&loct » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:48 pm

DH772,
My point was that we need to look out for each other, and if that means WJ impliment online checkin then so be it. Fair is fair. I was not being one sided. I have spoken to several AC pilots who use WJ all the time, the main reason being that we do not over sell and it is usually easy to know if you will get on or not. Additionally they love the fact that they know they will not be denied a seat because 2 other guys had an earlier time stamp. This is a big deal for a pilot working for an airline that has no commuter policy. How you feel that I am whining is beyond me.

Return to “Air Canada”