Children of AC Pilots get an interview?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Nordstar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Children of AC Pilots get an interview?

Post by Nordstar »

I recall reading somewhere (on a message board, not somewhere credable) that the sons / daughters of Air Canada Pilots are entitled to an interview with the company once they reach the minimum pilot hiring criteria. Aparently, this is laid out in the current ACPA/Air Canada contract.

Is this true? Any details would be intresting to hear...
---------- ADS -----------

29chev
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 29chev »

I have read a lot of the contract and have never read anything like that. However I did just read this excerp from the latest mec memo.

"We have confirmed with the Company that
LOU 18 - Transition of Connector Pilots, as amended in 2003, is in effect
and we will abide by it. You can review this on the ACPA website under
Contract."

Good luck to all

lawndart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lawndart »

What, roughly speaking, is in the amended LOU 18?

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Nordstar

Just to clean up a misconception, many years ago a vice-president of flight operations posted a letter on the pilot’s bulletin boards stating that all pilots’ siblings if they met the AC standard would be guaranteed interviews. Unfortunately that promise fell apart as soon as human resources got wind of it as it appeared to be in conflict with either AC or Federal Government policy. As usual facts are sometimes stranger then fiction.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

And to be honest.........thank christ they gave that up!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

But I'm sure most of them will still get in before you or I. Can't say I blame them for trying.

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

Don’t count on it friend….being a pilot’s son or daughter doesn’t get you any advantage in the new AC. Everyone competes on an even keel.

The only plus I can see is the fact that a sibling may get some of his dad’s friends to write a couple of recommendations to staple to their application.

By the way….LOU 18 explains the commitment and rules to hire from the feeders….for example, a ratio of 40% of new hires from the feeders will apply till running out of candidates……or rules for delay of induction to the mother company for economic reasons.

Keep logging those hours boys!

rjer1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rjer1 »

"We have confirmed with the Company that
LOU 18 - Transition of Connector Pilots, as amended in 2003, is in effect
and we will abide by it. You can review this on the ACPA website under
Contract."

just wondering how it was amended in 2003.
what are the changes if you don't mind expanding a little bit

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

rjer1:

If you have a copy of the LOU 18, the contract ammendments in June 2003 had these three changes:

1. L18.01 ...in first sentence....underline "consider hiring" and cross out "and hire" .

2. Delete entire 18.01.01

3. Delete entire 18.01.02

Unfortunately, the 40% ratio has been removed.

Good Luck

Prospect
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prospect »

By the way….LOU 18 explains the commitment and rules to hire from the feeders….for example, a ratio of 40% of new hires from the feeders will apply till running out of candidates……or rules for delay of induction to the mother company for economic reasons.
What are the official "feeders" for Air Canada? Is it only Jazz or do they consider the connectors as well (CMA, Provincial, Bearskin, Georgian)?

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

I believe it is now only Jazz considered as a feeder, it is plural there because it was written back when there was more than one. (Air Nova, Air Alliance, Air Ontario and Air BC)

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

I believe that is correct.

The contract does not define "connectors" precisely, but the LOU does mention the following sentence, giving reason to conclude that the agreement applies only to carriers wholly owned by the corporation:

L18.07 If there is a total sale or divestiture of any Air Canada Connector Airline, then the pilots of that carrier will be removed from the Combined Seniority List of Air Canada Connector Airlines, subject to the Laws of Canada.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Air Canada”