Air Georgian Cadet Program

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Georgian Cadet Program

Post by ggn »

planeless wrote:The cadet program could work out really well for some people. If you are seriously considering investing 60k to work for ggn you should probably do some research of your own and talk to the pilots that work there before you do so. It might not sway your decision but it will give you a good idea of what the next 4 years of your career will entail.

You are not investing 60k to work at GGN. You are paying 60K for your flight training. Payment for training is paid directly to Flight Safety. You receive 2 conditional offers of employment prior to starting your flight training.
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

ggn wrote:
planeless wrote:The cadet program could work out really well for some people. If you are seriously considering investing 60k to work for ggn you should probably do some research of your own and talk to the pilots that work there before you do so. It might not sway your decision but it will give you a good idea of what the next 4 years of your career will entail.

You are not investing 60k to work at GGN. You are paying 60K for your flight training. Payment for training is paid directly to Flight Safety. You receive 2 conditional offers of employment prior to starting your flight training.
Interesting program...what does GGN get out of all this since it seems to me that they will now get lower experienced F/O;s in the right seat?

ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ggn »

tbaylx wrote:
ggn wrote:

Interesting program...what does GGN get out of all this since it seems to me that they will now get lower experienced F/O;s in the right seat?

AGL has had success in hiring great pilots from a lot of different backgrounds and experience levels and the goal of this program is to add another stream of pilots. We are very happy with the mentor pilots that we have hired and the goal is to base the cadet program after the mentor program - both sets of employees will have similar experience levels. We have had a few years of data now with the mentor program and have 100% confidence in both programs.

planeless
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planeless »

Sorry, I see that the money goes towards your pilots licence. I still think that anyone interested who are New to aviation should do some homework on the industry and work place that they plan to spend 4 years at. It's a great opportunity for young people getting into flying but it doesn't hurt to be well informed.

HM123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HM123 »

When would the training start at FlightSafety? Thanks.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

I believe training will start in Sept in Vero Beach, Florida for successful candidates.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Hi ggn,

I was wondering if you know how many candidates are planned to be accepted into the program this year, and going forward?

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

--EDIT.

Removed due to request from person i share this account with. Brett

Last edited by BTyyj on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

AGCP?

I would never suggest that my kids consider this program, particularly because it is US based training. What - are there no such facilities in Canada? This type of initiative should be partnered with an existing college/university program based in Canada.

At least that way the individual has something substantial from a diploma/degree perspective to show for their $$$ spent and can take advantage of education and training subsidies that already are in place for residents. Notwithstanding the debate over the merits of hiring ab initio pilots, Jazz already hire a handful of aviation college graduates each year so it is not without precedent.

The AGCP is neither a good investment of time nor money from a candidate perspective. Imagine how long it will take to pay back $60,000 on GGN/AC new-hire wages. Better hope that mommy or daddy are prepared to pick up the tab. Do yourself a favour and apply to legitimate Canadian based aviation training institutions only. And if you are an Ontario resident, there are provincial tuition rebates in place as well as OSAP loans.

I imagine the only candidates that will pursue the AGCP are the ones that could not get into a Canadian Aviation College or University program. Is that really the type of candidate that AC wants? I highly doubt that it is AC having trouble attracting qualified applicants. So I guess that must leave GGN as the operator that is having a problem in this regard or combined with a significant pilot retention problem.

Indentured servitude is NOT the solution to the problem.

lov2fly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lov2fly »

rudder wrote:AGCP?

I would never suggest that my kids consider this program, particularly because it is US based training. What - are there no such facilities in Canada? This type of initiative should be partnered with an existing college/university program based in Canada.

At least that way the individual has something substantial from a diploma/degree perspective to show for their $$$ spent and can take advantage of education and training subsidies that already are in place for residents. Notwithstanding the debate over the merits of hiring ab initio pilots, Jazz already hire a handful of aviation college graduates each year so it is not without precedent.

The AGCP is neither a good investment of time nor money from a candidate perspective. Imagine how long it will take to pay back $60,000 on GGN/AC new-hire wages. Better hope that mommy or daddy are prepared to pick up the tab. Do yourself a favour and apply to legitimate Canadian based aviation training institutions only. And if you are an Ontario resident, there are provincial tuition rebates in place as well as OSAP loans.

I imagine the only candidates that will pursue the AGCP are the ones that could not get into a Canadian Aviation College or University program. Is that really the type of candidate that AC wants? I highly doubt that it is AC having trouble attracting qualified applicants. So I guess that must leave GGN as the operator that is having a problem in this regard or combined with a significant pilot retention problem.

Indentured servitude is NOT the solution to the problem.

I could not have said it better myself!

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

GGN is offering their pilots $10,000 to stay....some sort of a retention bonus.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

ggn thanks for taking to time to come on this forum and answer some questions. I have a few if you don't mind? For what it's worth I think this program could prove to be an excellent and expedient path to Air Canada for those who are interested in joining, but based on past precedents with 'flow through' arrangements there are several things which should concern those about to sign up.

Unfortunately not everyone who sets out to become a pilot is able to successfully do so, Air Canada currently does not conduct simulator evaluations in its hiring process as the pilots hired all have thousands of hours of experience and only a very small number of pilots don't successfully join the line after being hired. Will the hiring process used in this program contain some sort of flight testing prior to being hired? Or will the flight training be conducted in more of a military style, whereby pilots are 'washed out' if they cannot meet training requirements as their training progresses? Which raises questions about the $60,000 commitment...

Frosty wrote:Personally decided not to pursue this program for a variety of reasons, and I felt I should post some of them on here so to help others make their own decisions. This program is definitely not for everyone.

1. Previous flight training isn't credited, meaning I would have resultantly wasted $15 000.
2. Flight training is done in the US, meaning that a conversion is necessary, plus I wouldn't experience some of the adverse weather conditions I found in Canada as a PPL student.
3. Going directly from 250hrs to right seat on a 705 ops means I would be missing out on a lot of good experiences.
4. Hand-flying skills won't be as proficient as someone who went up north and knowledge won't be as proficient as someone who instructed.
5. This route is very limiting, meaning that I would be stuck in 705 ops for the rest of my career and within two specific companies.
6. Industry is in very good shape right now, with guys getting on at ACA with relatively low time, so if I decided to go that route, it wouldn't take too much longer in comparison to this program, while I'd have better experience and hand-flying skills to show for it.
7. Agreement illustrated on the cadet website has many possible loopholes; these companies aren't trying to do me or anyone else a favor.
Frosty thanks for sharing your reasons with us, insight from those with 150 hours is just as valuable as that coming from pilots with 15,000 hours, but if you don't mind me being critical, I think that some of your points aren't very valid.
1. It might be, have you asked?
2. Licenses transfers are cheap and easy, and you'll get all the weather you can handle after rejoining GGN. Generally it's advisable for sub-200 hour pilots to avoid marginal weather as much as possible. Sunny clear skies in FLA will allow you to complete your training quickly and avoid all of the delays in your training you've no doubt come across thus far.
3. For sure, if you like washing, towing and fueling airplanes around in -40 this isn't the job for you, I'm not being sarcastic if you wish to contribute to the 'Pics from a swamper' thread in the near future this is not the right path and you've made the right choice.
4. Do GGN's 1900's have autopilots? Once again, not sarcastic.
5. You can always quit, but why would you plan to do that from the start? But there is some logic here, absolutely not the most interesting career path.
6. You can probably count on your fingers and toes the number of pilots at Air Canada who've joined in the last 2 decades who made it on board 4 years after they started flying for pay, and none of them had jobs waiting for them.
7. ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

Rudder,
I agree, it's a shame that there isn't a competitive program available in Canada. But I hope you can agree that it is not Air Canada nor GGN's civic duty to utilize a domestic FTU.

Last edited by TheStig on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ggn »

Thanks to the poster who gave us reasons why he did not apply. This program is not for everyone, the program is designed specifically for people who want a career working at Air Canada. If you have doubts that is what you want then you are right in looking at other programs.

The the fellow who posted about his child, I think a bit more research on your own would give you some more insight into the programs that are currently offered. For example Air Georgian has had a mentor program with Seneca and UNB for several years and hires directly from the graduating class. Both the mentor program and the cadet program are great options, each with a different value proposition. The Jazz Seneca program is also a fantastic option and offers great value.

For clarification, AC and AGL looked at several Canadian schools and weighed the pros and cons through a formal RFP process. At this point in time the FSI option offered the best solution for a number of reasons. AGL has committed to work with a number of Canadian flight schools so their programs can be more competitive in a cadet format.

Last edited by ggn on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TheStig wrote:
Rudder,
I agree, it's a shame that there isn't a competitive program available in Canada. But I hope you can agree that it is not Air Canada nor GGN's civic duty to utilize a domestic FTU.
I am not concerned about either GGN nor AC - they are big boys and can take care of themselves. I am concerned about the poor sucker that actually writes a cheque for $60K. What will they have to show for it?

If you have access to that kind of money, go to the UWO Aviation Business school and graduate with a University Degree and a commercial pilot licence with multi-IFR. Or better yet, save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and go to one of the community colleges that have Aviation Programs.

At the end of the day if all this is about is a guaranteed (?) job at AC then it is nothing but a glorified PFT program. And if that is all that it is, then why not have GGN/AC sign the $60K cheque and have the pilot simply sign a bonding agreement? I am sure that after 4 years at GGN then another 4 years on new-hire pay at AC both companies will have gotten their monies worth.

I like the concept - I dislike the actual program. It could have been much, much better.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Frosty,

with all due respect, you still have a long way before you grasp (if anyone can ever do it) the state of our profession at this or any future time. You obviously lack flight and working experience in the industry so I don't won't hold it against you. We all were in your shoes.

This program does have it's potential and some drawbacks. Price, a bit too steep, if you consider that you can go to select Ontario flight colleges and walk away with a CPL with around $20,000. And you will receive some really good flight training there. But then again, a "guaranteed" advancement to a two crew high performance twin turbine after 250hrs is not that bad of a deal either. And if your stars all line up, you may be at Air Canada soon after.

As for hand flying, you won't have to worry about that at GGN as 75% of their 1900 fleet is lacking autopilots (And some still don't even have a lavatory yet :wink:). You will fly in some of the busiest airspace in Canada as well in some uncontrolled, shorter runway aerodromes.

Good comments from Rudder and Stig as well.

Cheers

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Frosty wrote:The industry is overal in fairly good shape right now, from what I've heard and seen.
With all due respect, may you tell me how long you've been in "the industry"?
Further more, please let me know where you bought your rose coloured glasses... I broke mine nearly 10 years ago...

Regards,
TPC

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Frosty wrote:1. Yes
2. From what I've been told, the transfer isn't as easy from FAA-TC license. I don't mean necessarily marginal conditions, rather I wouldn't be able to experience the same weather as I would in Canada, such as cold weather ops.
3. I mean being able to get some experience elsewhere in the industry before going to solely 705 ops.
4. Don't know, but flying between major airports surely isn't as hard in terms of handflying as bush flying.
5. I think it would be safe to say that I'd have trouble switching out of this to other parts of the industry. I can just imagine the interview with a northern operator now: "You did your training where? You did what?"
6. This is what I've been told by many in the industry, but 3000hrs seems like the benchmark nowadays, which can realistically be completed in 4-8 years as the industry is now.

The industry is overal in fairly good shape right now, from what I've heard and seen, so I think it'd be safe to say that limiting myself so extensively so early in my career would really be a disservice to myself when there are quite a number of options available at the moment.
1. FAA-TC conversion is fairly simple and straightforward.
2. You can catch on to cold weather ops pretty quickly sitting next to an experienced captain as you would once finished this course.
3. Georgian is 704, plus from what I hear you will get to experience a lot of "northern" practices. (plenty of deferred defects, company pressure, etc)
4. Flying between major airports has it's own challenges. Take someone from primarily uncontrolled airports and it will be new to them also. This program is clearly aimed at those who do not want to work the ramp in -40 for a year or two to fly into gravel. Some people prefer it, some want the fast track to AC. Neither is a "disservice to yourself"...
5. I highly doubt you would have problems finding another job if you discover it's not for you. With 1000+ hours turbine and a 1900 PPC you will be fairly marketable. If you pay $60,000 to quit after a month of working there...then you deserve whatever you get.
6. You would have to be very lucky to get on at AC 4 years after getting your licence. What about the average instructor who has been working for 2 or 3 years who are preparing to step into a 702/703 position. Work there for another few years to build some multi/turbine and then start looking towards places like Georgian or similar 704 with a dash or similar. You're more on the mark with 6-8 years at the earliest.

You seem to be under the impression that you have to slave yourself to the north to make it in this industry. There are lots of guys trying to get back home from up north and would jump at the chance for a spot on an 1900. This is an opportunity to actually do what you are signing up to do. I know for sure that my first job was never even on my list of what I would do as a pilot. It was just a matter of time before this type of program was introduced into Canada, and it will take a while to get right, but it looks like a great opportunity for someone starting out who's end goal is to work for AC.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Last edited by BTyyj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

@ Frosty - I don't think the responses to your post are meant to attack you. I think they are more trying to point out that the information you've been given isn't necessarily accurate, and that this is may be a much better opportunity then you realize. I think its important to look at all sides, and take everyone's opinion's into consideration before making a decision. For this reason, I think your post has been very valuable in starting a discussion on this program. I appreciate all the responses from those who have alot of experience in this industry. It is not easy being a new comer just starting out in this industry.

Return to “Air Canada”