Air Georgian Cadet Program

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dirty A
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Georgian Cadet Program

Post by Dirty A »

Essaboy wrote:Those who have been selected for the next stage have been notified, sadly if you haven't heard it's a no.
The website confirms this as fact: http://www.airgeorgian.ca/recruitment-p ... ogram.html
---------- ADS -----------

Essaboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Essaboy »

BaboChorom wrote:I smell a troll. :evil:
No you don't, as you have now seen my post was correct.

Dirty A
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dirty A »

Essaboy wrote:
Do you happen to be amongst the "chosen few"? If so, I'm sure there are many whom are more than curious to hear anything you have to say.

1234ABC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 1234ABC »

Could someone who got selected for an interview, please shed some light.....on their qualifications...to help future applicants of 2014.

I know four friends with University Degrees and excellent qualifications who I thought were for sure going to make it at least to the interview stage.......not receive a call. Another friend of mine just got selected for RMC and did not get a call from GGN......its weird.

I hope it is not just another case of nepotism.

Another food for thought....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e11874346/

Essaboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Essaboy »

Dirty A wrote:
Essaboy wrote:
Do you happen to be amongst the "chosen few"? If so, I'm sure there are many whom are more than curious to hear anything you have to say.
No, I wasn't an applicant.

futabasan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by futabasan »

Well good luck to all of those who heard back!

Samararifai
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samararifai »

1234ABC wrote:Could someone who got selected for an interview, please shed some light.....on their qualifications...to help future applicants of 2014.

I know four friends with University Degrees and excellent qualifications who I thought were for sure going to make it at least to the interview stage.......not receive a call. Another friend of mine just got selected for RMC and did not get a call from GGN......its weird.

I hope it is not just another case of nepotism.

Another food for thought....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e11874346/
There are plenty of candidates and it is really the ones who stand out from the crowd :wink: look closely to the criteria on the site . Good Luck!

Last edited by Samararifai on Sat May 18, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

If I apply next year and I end up being successful, is it possible to apply for student loans for this program or do you have to be a rich person who can pay 60k all at once?

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

1234ABC, from my experience, the selection criteria posted on Air Georgian's website is very accurate in indicating what they are looking for.

MartinB, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a student loan.

Last edited by +RA on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

I bet Georgian or Air Canada will be willing put up the $60,000 which will be paid back at 8%+ interest. It will be the most profitable part of the business going forward!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RealHigh wrote:
...... you shouldn't have trouble getting a loan.
Ya, from the Bank of Mom n'Dad :lol:

Aramis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aramis »

Dear Air Georgian LTD,
Could you please clarify the transition between Air Georgian (4 years employment) and employment with Air Canada, and other details surrounding this transition? Are any additional licences required? Kind regards in advance.

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

For anyone who's interested, Air Georgian has reposted the cadet ad for the 2014 year now: http://www.airgeorgian.ca/recruitment-p ... ogram.html

As an applicant who was unsuccessful post-interview last year, I'm curious as to how the program shaped up for those accepted. If anyone reading this is presently in the program, could they be so kind as to pm me?

As well, If anyone applying for the 2014 intake is interested, I'd be more than happy to share my experiences in what the general process was like for me.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Aramis wrote:Dear Air Georgian LTD,
Could you please clarify the transition between Air Georgian (4 years employment) and employment with Air Canada, and other details surrounding this transition? Are any additional licences required? Kind regards in advance.
Aramis,

The conditions for transfer to AC are listed in the link below your post. You will not need any further licenses.

A minimum of four years at GGN. No maximum listed. Probably simply because AC needs to be hiring. This industry is cyclical where hiring can stop for a few years. I would take the 4 year commitment and expect it to be 6 just in case.

The rest is my opinion and what I have watched and experienced as a 3 year AC pilot who came from Jazz.

Your flight training history will be scrutinized. All of it from day 1 to the date of hire at AC. A few ups and downs are expected. A track record of issues will make you questionable for hire.

Your employment record will be inspected. Discipline issues or attendance issues will be looked for. Trust me on this. Don't over use your sick days even if they are available. Don't book off every long weekend in August. They will look for trends. AC is big on attendance issues. There are more than a few stories of people blowing AC employment due to attendance.

Make sure you have a full medical by someone familiar with Air Canada medical standards prior to signing up. You don't want to waste your money. Many of the Air Canada Docs have a practice outside Air Canada. If no luck they could recommend one.

In simple terms. If you go for it? Keep your head down and your nose clean. Work hard and always be well prepared for training. You will do fine. If you don't like studying? This isn't for you. It never ends. You will be tested every six months for the rest of your life!

Pay is good. But expect it to be crap until after year 4 at AC. Now add the 6 years above to that. Plan a decade until a good pay check.

If your still in hands down? You have the bug.

ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ggn »

Hi Aramis,

After completing a minimum of four years of employment with Air Georgian, you will be hired at Air Canada as a pilot provided you...
- Acquire a minimum of 2000 flying hours as a First Officer on a Multi Turbo Prop aircraft as an employee of AGL (“AGL employment”);
- Successfully complete initial training at the Flight Safety International Academy prior to starting your AGL employment;
- Obtain and hold a valid Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License;
- Maintain an excellent record of employment at Air Georgian with respect to discipline, attendance and training.
- Consent to AGL disclosing to Air Canada the records necessary to confirm your fulfillment of the conditions listed above; and
- Pass an Air Canada Pre-Employment Medical exam and a Pre-Employment Security Clearance.

No additional licences are required. Feel free to send us a PM if you have any additional questions.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

ggn wrote:
Hi Aramis,

After completing a minimum of four years of employment with Air Georgian, you will be hired at Air Canada as a pilot provided you...
- Acquire a minimum of 2000 flying hours as a First Officer on a Multi Turbo Prop aircraft as an employee of AGL (“AGL employment”);
- Successfully complete initial training at the Flight Safety International Academy prior to starting your AGL employment;
- Obtain and hold a valid Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License;
- Maintain an excellent record of employment at Air Georgian with respect to discipline, attendance and training.
- Consent to AGL disclosing to Air Canada the records necessary to confirm your fulfillment of the conditions listed above; and
- Pass an Air Canada Pre-Employment Medical exam and a Pre-Employment Security Clearance.

No additional licences are required. Feel free to send us a PM if you have any additional questions.
I could see this being an issue, i know a few of the seneca hires are struggling with the ATPL, as they need 150 hours PIC before PICUS could be implemented. I don't know how many hours PIC the cadet program gives them but this could be a way to keep the Cadets from going to AC... Am I wrong GGN?

ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ggn »

Hi,

We have a PICUS program in place at Air Georgian and we will make every effort to help our pilots build the required time. As for the last point, we do not want to 'keep Cadets from going to AC'. This would upset AC and would defeat the purpose of the program which is to encourage people to join the industry as pilots.

planeless
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planeless »

ggn wrote:Hi,

We have a PICUS program in place at Air Georgian and we will make every effort to help our pilots build the required time. As for the last point, we do not want to 'keep Cadets from going to AC'. This would upset AC and would defeat the purpose of the program which is to encourage people to join the industry as pilots.
Most companies encourage people to join their industry with good working conditions and decent pay.

esnk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by esnk »

Hello Air Georgian,

I am 34 y.o and hold a master degree, graduated in 2012. I understand that age is not a limiting factor (as long as its over 18) to be eligible to apply for the program, but I was wondering if any preference will be given to applicants who are within a certain range.

Thanx

ggn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ggn »

esnk wrote:I was wondering if any preference will be given to applicants who are within a certain range.
Thanks for your question, esnk. No preference is given to any Air Georgian applicants on the basis of age.

Return to “Air Canada”