Living in YYC. Feasible???

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Batur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Living in YYC. Feasible???

Post by Batur »

Hello, looking for comments from AC pilots in any of the entry level positions. How feasible is living in Calgary considering you will have no idea of your base, equipment or schedule until ground school. Are there any positions that would lend themselves more to living in Calgary than others? My understanding is that most people end up on the Embraer based in either Toronto or Vancouver. Anyone out there making that work? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Living in YYC. Feasible???

Post by yycflyguy »

Yes. Most new hire positions are EMB YYZ and LCC A319 YYZ. There are also RP B767 and B777 in YYZ and YVR. Regardless of your position, you would initially be on reserve and have to be at the airport within 3 hours. Commuting from a city 3.5 hours away while on reserve is not recommended. You would have to be at a crash pad hanging out for your "reserve" days and only be in YYC for a few days a month. If you are single it's feasible. If you have a spouse and kids it will get old really, really fast.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

yycflyguy wrote:Regardless of your position, you would initially be on reserve and have to be at the airport within 3 hours. Commuting from a city 3.5 hours away while on reserve is not recommended. You would have to be at a crash pad hanging out for your "reserve" days and only be in YYC for a few days a month. If you are single it's feasible. If you have a spouse and kids it will get old really, really fast.
So essentially commuting is out of the question as a new hire due to being on reserve? Therefore new hires should plan to move to whatever base they get assigned to until they have the ability to bid back to the base they want? How long after your hired are you allowed to bid to a new base?

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

So essentially commuting is out of the question as a new hire due to being on reserve? Therefore new hires should plan to move to whatever base they get assigned to until they have the ability to bid back to the base they want? How long after your hired are you allowed to bid to a new base?
No as stated above it's not out of the question. It's just more difficult pending your situation and tolerance levels. Some people are able to make commutes work, while others with family won't even consider it. Don't quote me but I believe you can bid bases from day 1 as long as it's on the same type. As to when you get awarded that base is dependent upon seniority and openings. Could be a month, could be 5 years.

1000islander
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000islander »

Re: 3 hour call out....I always thought it was but according to art 29.04.04 of the newly assigned work rules, "must be avail for flt duty no later than 2hrs after a call frm CS".
And I take it that would mean....be at the airport.
And for my 2c on commuting...it ain't for everybody...if I was joining as a new hire,I'd move to the base and pick a small community that is a driveable distance..you may be on reserve but at least you can control some of your personal time [and not waste it sitting in an airport lounge or back of a plane].

Last edited by 1000islander on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

1000islander wrote:Re: 3 hour call out....I always thought it was but according to art 29.04.04 of the newly assigned work rules, "must be avail for flt duty no later than 2hrs after a call frm CS".
It is a 2 hour call out. Plus 1.25 hours for flight planning. Even when CS pushes you to get there faster. Get there safely.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

yycflyguy wrote: Even when CS pushes you to get there faster. Get there safely.
100% agree with this. All crew sched cares about really is that your bum will eventually be in the seat. It's STOC that cares about an on time departure (well...and Klaus).

If you run into a traffic problem or any other kind of snag you can meet the other crew member at the airplane and get it going within 20 minutes anyway and 99.9% of the guys will have no problem with that.

Do not speed or take chances because that won't help anybody.

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Well said Rockie & yycflyguy

LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LuckyPilot »

Rockie wrote:
yycflyguy wrote: Even when CS pushes you to get there faster. Get there safely.
100% agree with this. All crew sched cares about really is that your bum will eventually be in the seat. It's STOC that cares about an on time departure (well...and Klaus).

If you run into a traffic problem or any other kind of snag you can meet the other crew member at the airplane and get it going within 20 minutes anyway and 99.9% of the guys will have no problem with that.

Do not speed or take chances because that won't help anybody.
Rule one in this outfit is not to run/rush or move things along any faster then normal. That includes, but not limited to, the drive to work, flight planning, taxiing the a/c or anything else involved with a safe operation. You don't get attaboys for saving their show, but you sure get a kick in the gut if you F-up. I find it particularly undignified to see some Capt or F/O rushing through the airport to save the operation for crewshed. I meet the F/O in flight planning and we go from there, no matter how late things are going. I guess I'm a .1% guy, the other 99.9% will have hard time explaining themselves if they screw up rushing things along

In all the years I've been flying, 36 years in total, 26 of them at AC, I have never had to explain myself for doing things the right way, but, I have been sure pimped slaped for doing things fast and the wrong way. Just saying, this outfit is all about CYA, you live by the AOM, FOM, and good airmanship. As I recall, one of the first things I learned taking my first flying lesson back in 77, was not to rush things.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

LuckyPilot wrote: Rule one in this outfit is not to run/rush or move things along any faster then normal. That includes, but not limited to, the drive to work, flight planning, taxiing the a/c or anything else involved with a safe operation. You don't get attaboys for saving their show, but you sure get a kick in the gut if you F-up. I find it particularly undignified to see some Capt or F/O rushing through the airport to save the operation for crewshed. I meet the F/O in flight planning and we go from there, no matter how late things are going. I guess I'm a .1% guy, the other 99.9% will have hard time explaining themselves if they screw up rushing things along

In all the years I've been flying, 36 years in total, 26 of them at AC, I have never had to explain myself for doing things the right way, but, I have been sure pimped slaped for doing things fast and the wrong way. Just saying, this outfit is all about CYA, you live by the AOM, FOM, and good airmanship. As I recall, one of the first things I learned taking my first flying lesson back in 77, was not to rush things.
Wise words.

Return to “Air Canada”