Question AC long haul

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Question AC long haul

Post by Old fella »

I get into that Flightradar 24 web site(probably nothing better to do on winter nights) and set filters for Air Canada and I often wonder if the long haul divers have preferences on what they want to stay on as they progress in age. Is there more money on a B777 vs a '67 or A330 even though (what appears to me) these aircraft types appear to be heading to same places especially from YYZ/YUL etc. Do pilots say mid/late 50's who are on the 767 or 330 tend to stay with that aircraft because comfortable with it and don't want the bother of converting to another type. I know there may be plenty of variables - seniority, personal lifestyle, but pardon what may be a silly question - what's the difference in a 330 vs '67 when both go same places.......

PS long nite here, its stormy and leafs handed the habs their asses...........
:drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Question AC long haul

Post by pilotbzh »

pay is better on the 777 then 330 then 767
capt rates.jpg
capt rates.jpg (251.65 KiB) Viewed 7279 times

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Umm, what is 'nav-aid pay'?

accumulous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by accumulous »

RB211 wrote:Umm, what is 'nav-aid pay'?
With all due respect, you guys first need to be asking ACPA if it is suitable to be posting contract pay information like that on a public forum.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Full pay charts are already on this forum, but it's the company that gets pissed if you post stuff copied straight out of the portal.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Old fella wrote:I get into that Flightradar 24 web site(probably nothing better to do on winter nights) and set filters for Air Canada and I often wonder if the long haul divers have preferences on what they want to stay on as they progress in age. Is there more money on a B777 vs a '67 or A330 even though (what appears to me) these aircraft types appear to be heading to same places especially from YYZ/YUL etc. Do pilots say mid/late 50's who are on the 767 or 330 tend to stay with that aircraft because comfortable with it and don't want the bother of converting to another type. I know there may be plenty of variables - seniority, personal lifestyle, but pardon what may be a silly question - what's the difference in a 330 vs '67 when both go same places.......

PS long nite here, its stormy and leafs handed the habs their asses...........
:drinkers:
Hey Old fella,

Everyone has their personal reasons. Some of the airlines most senior pilots fly the A320 so they can be home every night, but in general the most senior pilots are widebody Captains. The 'benefit' (or retirement income) formula used in the DB pension plan utilizes a pilots' best 60 months income as one of the metrics used. So if a pilot wishes to maximize their pension, they have to maximize their paycheques. End loaded career earning and defined Benefit pension plans go hand in hand because of this set up.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Thanks Stig...........Understand the DB pension issue(as that is what I get), appears the B777 is the place to be judging from the matrix posted earlier. Another question if you don't mind. I know seniority is governing on destinations/routes but can he/she(assuming their seniority is high) just do Europe trips however long assignments are given(per month isn't it). Then following month do South America only if so desired. Can he/she not do any Pacific/Asia flying at all if they don't like that area........

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Old fella wrote:Thanks Stig...........Understand the DB pension issue(as that is what I get), appears the B777 is the place to be judging from the matrix posted earlier. Another question if you don't mind. I know seniority is governing on destinations/routes but can he/she(assuming their seniority is high) just do Europe trips however long assignments are given(per month isn't it). Then following month do South America only if so desired. Can he/she not do any Pacific/Asia flying at all if they don't like that area........

The monthly bidding options have more filters than you can possibly imagine. A pilot can bid to avoid certain cities, fly to certain destinations, operate certain flights, fly to specific regions (ie South America, Asia, Florida, etc), fly at a certain time of the day (or night) or avoid certain times of the day, or a certain time of a specific day, even avoid flying with a specific Captain…I could go on.

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

pilotbzh wrote:pay is better on the 777 then 330 then 767
capt rates.jpg
I would love to see the fo table. :)

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

there you go
FO rates.jpg
FO rates.jpg (259.78 KiB) Viewed 5845 times

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

Thank you very much :) are you paid gate to gate or is it duty hours?

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

AJV wrote:Thank you very much :) are you paid gate to gate or is it duty hours?
Brakes off to brakes on....... electronic pay stub!

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

2 quick questions
1 - Over seas
Is this duty hours spend away from North America, or flight hours to from other continent?
2 - Nav Aid
WTF?

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

cpt.sam wrote:2 quick questions
1 - Over seas
Is this duty hours spend away from North America, or flight hours to from other continent?
2 - Nav Aid
WTF?
1..Overseas pay is just a premium paid for flight hours on flights to Europe, Asia, South America, and the Outer Caribbean.

2..Nav Aid pay is a premium that started a long time ago (at least 35 years ago). I think it was brought in about the same time that navigators were phased out. It has just stayed in the pay formula. It doesn't really apply to any extraordinary navigation skills. It could be called anything now. It's just a premium that has stayed with us.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

how long could it be to upgrade to any captain position at AC or LCC when hired in 2013 ?
just curious
thx

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

scopiton wrote:how long could it be to upgrade to any captain position at AC or LCC when hired in 2013 ?
just curious
thx
I don't think anyone on here has a crystal ball big enough to answer that question.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

scopiton wrote:how long could it be to upgrade to any captain position at AC or LCC when hired in 2013 ?
just curious
thx
I don't think anyone on here has a crystal ball big enough to answer that question.

Return to “Air Canada”