AC/Jazz recruiting coordination??

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

N00b
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC/Jazz recruiting coordination??

Post by N00b »

Hey there. Just trying to find out if one was a new Jazz hire with an interview lined up or in the pool at Air Canada, would getting hired/being at Jazz cause the potential for an offer from Air Canada to decrease/fall through completely? Do these two companies coordinate so Air Canada is not pirating brand new hires from Jazz? I heard that Jazz will hold on to you until they get their money's worth before releasing you to AC....?

Couldn't find anything from a search, appreciate any help!
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AC/Jazz recruiting coordination??

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Well I got the interview call from AC out of the blue a month after I started at Jazz last year. Considering I hadn't updated my online AC resume in over a year, the timing did seem a little coincidental. But who really knows if they talk to one another or not.

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 705dreamer »

N00b wrote:Hey there. Just trying to find out if one was a new Jazz hire with an interview lined up or in the pool at Air Canada, would getting hired/being at Jazz cause the potential for an offer from Air Canada to decrease/fall through completely? Do these two companies coordinate so Air Canada is not pirating brand new hires from Jazz? I heard that Jazz will hold on to you until they get their money's worth before releasing you to AC....?

Couldn't find anything from a search, appreciate any help!

I highly doubt they communicate when it comes to hiring since they are two seperate companies. The last couple of years have definately broke the theory that Jazz holds onto you until they get thier money's worth. There have been a ton of guys that have made the switch to AC. If you only have a month or two in at Jazz you seem to be fair game. Its a different industry out there now than compared to 5 years ago.

Benito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Benito »

On my AC GS last year, there was 3 of us coming in from JAZZ with less than a year there, they are 2 different companies.

N00b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by N00b »

Ok great thanks for the replies everyone!

MRP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MRP »

The short answer is no. Last May I asked Jennifer Stedman (at that time in charge of the pilot recruitment program at AC) the exact same question. Her answer was "not any more".

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

MRP wrote:The short answer is no. Last May I asked Jennifer Stedman (at that time in charge of the pilot recruitment program at AC) the exact same question. Her answer was "not any more".

I wonder what "not any more" means? In the past did working at Jazz black list you from AC, or was it the other way around? That kind of information could be useful when concidering an offer from Jazz in the past, however I highly doubt they'd mention it during your interview.

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

In the past, yes. Now, no.

I'm sure they talk back and forth regarding numbers, but I would guess its just a "heads up, we are taking this many from you" kind of chat.

Baphomet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Baphomet »

What about pilots from SR? Are they being blocked from AC?

MRP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MRP »

cj555 wrote:
MRP wrote:The short answer is no. Last May I asked Jennifer Stedman (at that time in charge of the pilot recruitment program at AC) the exact same question. Her answer was "not any more".

I wonder what "not any more" means? In the past did working at Jazz black list you from AC, or was it the other way around? That kind of information could be useful when concidering an offer from Jazz in the past, however I highly doubt they'd mention it during your interview.
This was not during my interview, I was already employed at AC when I approached her with this question. When the LOU that allowed Jazz pilots to carry some years of service over to AC for pay purposes was still in effect the numbers were "controlled" as I understand. Nothing since the LOU expired.

Cisbour
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cisbour »

Benito wrote:On my AC GS last year, there was 3 of us coming in from JAZZ with less than a year there, they are 2 different companies.
Benito, did the 3 of you interview with AC before actually hitting on the line with Jazz? Did your resumes mention Jazz as your current employer?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Benito wrote:On my AC GS last year, there was 3 of us coming in from JAZZ with less than a year there, they are 2 different companies.

And you guys wonder why we have bonds and low year 1/2 salaries?

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Xander »

Donald wrote:

And you guys wonder why we have bonds and low year 1/2 salaries?
I was on this initial course and I had been flying a brand new dash-8 100/300 at Jazz for the last 11 months before that. No communication at all between the 2 hr depts whatsoever.

Donald: so according to you I should have stayed at Jazz and pass on the opportunity of a lifetime?

Sorry but you can't keep people from wanting better conditions and achieving their goals. As frustrating as it is for me to see the 175's go to SR, I can't blame guys on the 3rd level leaving their turboprop jobs to go fly an Emb175 for SR, even if they fly for twice as less as I make. For them, its a better position with valuable jet experience. It's all a question of perception.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Xander wrote: Donald: so according to you I should have stayed at Jazz and pass on the opportunity of a lifetime?
You didn't sign a bond, and you had already accepted the low first/second year wage at Jazz, so of course you had no issue with the starting salary a AC. Why not make the jump?

When you were interviewed at Jazz did they ask: Where do you see yourself in 2-5 years? Do you want to make a career out of Jazz, or are you hoping for WJ or AC?

Just curious, I'm not necessarily saying what you did was wrong.

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Xander »

Honestly it's been too long and I can't remember. :rolleyes:

Benito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Benito »

Cisbour wrote:
Benito, did the 3 of you interview with AC before actually hitting on the line with Jazz? Did your resumes mention Jazz as your current employer?

I got the call from AC a few months after I started at JAZZ and JAZZ experience was on my resume at the time. And as Xander previously stated, there is no way you can say NO to this kind of job offer.

Cheers

Return to “Air Canada”