hiring halter...

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

betster
Rank 1
Rank 1

hiring halter...

Post by betster »

Anyone have any guesses when/if ac will resume hiring?
---------- ADS -----------

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: hiring halter...

Post by LTD »

Next ground school is planned for October or November and will most likely be filled by those currently waiting in the pool.

Further more, I believe interviews have slowed down or maybe even stopped altogether for now.

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

Just for some historical perspective. Anyone know the longest time Air Canada has gone without hiring any pilots ? I seem to recall stories back in the early eighties or late seventies of hiring slowdowns and guys having to sit sideways (second officer) for up to 10 years before any flying positions became available ?

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Met an AC widebody captain who sat sideways on the 27 for 9 years back in the day... didn't seem like he had any regrets

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

short bus wrote:Met an AC widebody captain who sat sideways on the 27 for 9 years back in the day... didn't seem like he had any regrets
I would wager a guess that that sitting sideways in the 70's or 80's probably paid double in real dollars when compared to an RP or other entry position today....I think if someone had to be RP for 9 years starting today, the opportunity cost would be immense.

Actually, I'd be curious to see the wage scale from the 70's and 80's adjusted for inflation. Anybody know how to find this?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If you were hired late in the hiring cycle in 1979 at AC then it was a 17 year wait to junior DC9 Capt. If you were hired at CP around the same time then it was a layoff that lasted several years and left seat came closer to 20 years.

Times have changed and expectations have skewed due to unsustainable advancement rates that occurred when regional aircraft were added to the mainline fleet (AC) or single type fleet growth was doubling each year (WJ). It would appear that things are returning to a more traditional advancement rate. I would expect that the norm for junior left seat at AC and WJ will be stabilising in the 10 year+ range.

As for purchasing power, how do you compare when house values have increased up to 300% over the same time frame? It is a given that the value of pilot salaries at the airlines has been significantly reduced since the hey days of the 70's and 80's. However, for those with DB pension plans the values have increased significantly in comparison to their counterparts that retired during the 70's and 80's.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

wallypilot wrote:
short bus wrote:Met an AC widebody captain who sat sideways on the 27 for 9 years back in the day... didn't seem like he had any regrets
I would wager a guess that that sitting sideways in the 70's or 80's probably paid double in real dollars when compared to an RP or other entry position today....I think if someone had to be RP for 9 years starting today, the opportunity cost would be immense.

Actually, I'd be curious to see the wage scale from the 70's and 80's adjusted for inflation. Anybody know how to find this?

I don't have them but as I recall 747 SO's topped out in the 130K region in the late 90s. In the 80's I think the 1011 SO's topped at about 100K. Ticket price today ?
Same or less. You should get a life time supply of KY with your CPL.

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

In the 80's I think the 1011 SO's topped at about 100K.
Around 200K in today's dollars.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/relate ... alculator/

I also remember an Air Canada Add back in the early eighties (?) when I was a kid dreaming of one day flying for Air Canada. IIRC it featured a picture of an Air Canada pilot, Brad Demchuck (sp?) I think (not sure why I remember that), and it listed all the qualities of what it took to be an Air Canada pilot. IIRC the starting salary was listed at around $24,000 (around $55,000 in today's dollars if it was around 1982). As a kid I thought that was a lot of money back then. Times have sure changed.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Money being worth less isn't the only factor. Booze, smokes, gas and housing are anywhere from 5 to 10 times more expensive now than they were back then. Food? Who knows but lots.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Any chance someone can post old AC payscales. It would be interesting to see.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I only have rates back to 2000.

Attachments
2000 Air Canada Pilot Rates.pdf
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

rudder wrote: As for purchasing power, how do you compare when house values have increased up to 300% over the same time frame?
So true. Even worse in YVR....probably 800%! My parents bought their first house in the lower mainland in 1969 for about double their annual combined blue collar salaries. (11k combined salary, 19k house). Now the same house costs about 4-5 times me and my wife's much-better-than-avarage salaries. It's brutal.

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

Your money is worth less. Pay is not increasing with actual inflation. This is the destruction of the middle class.
Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 11.28.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 11.28.45 PM.png (113.83 KiB) Viewed 9664 times

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Anyone knows when the next bid is supposed to be out?
Thanks! :prayer:

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

newcomer wrote:Anyone knows when the next bid is supposed to be out?
Thanks! :prayer:
Should be out tomorrow, but don't except hiring until October.

Last edited by TheStig on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Thank you!

Hilton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hilton »

So did the bid come out today guys or gals? Wonder if anyone might shed some light on what was in it............or not in it!?

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

In 1964, I was offered a position with United..side saddle in a 27 IIRC but based out of NYC. Turned it down as I was not prepared to move to Murder City and be on the soup line.

The starting pay; 10K per year

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

Pretty flat bid. 16 openings. October bid will show the first pile of 787 crew requirements.

Hilton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hilton »

16 is better than none I guess!

787 positions....sounds positive. Will the 787 training start this year?

Does anyone know how many remain in the hiring pool and when interviews will start again? (and where to buy a crystal ball!)

Return to “Air Canada”