New hire YYZ commuter from YUL, need Help

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

New hire YYZ commuter from YUL, need Help

Post by LTD »

Hello all,

I am starting my first reserve block with AC next week as a new hire FO and am not sure what to expect or how to manage this new lifestyle. I'm quite stressed out about having to commute.

I know commuting will not be easy and would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/information from anyone whom might have attempted this or knows anyone how is currently a low seniority commuter out of YUL to YYZ.

Some Questions:
- how many flights ahead should I plan in case I get bumped by more senior employees: 3-4...10 flights!?!?
- whats the best time to commute: morning-afternoon-evening?
- can I count on sometimes getting there on jump seat if all else fails?
- is Westjet jump seat agreement or Jazz a good/viable option if unable via AC passes?
- any horror stories on how NOT to do it?
- should I just drive there and back every time and save the stress of travelling on standby?

Any information would greatly help me as I have no idea what to expect.

PM me if required.

Thanks to all,

L
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New hire YYZ commuter from YUL, need Help

Post by Inverted2 »

If you can't get to YYZ, you can J/S on Porter and take the bus to YYZ, or go on Skyregional. You're almost guaranteed to get on a flight to the island as the planes are rarely more than 1/2 full. Usually less.

Not ideal but a good option when the flights are full!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

LTD wrote: - is Westjet jump seat agreement or Jazz a good/viable option if unable via AC passes?
You will find that most commuters prefer to use Westjet over AC for their plans to get to work. Cheaper, they don't oversell seats and you'll likely be treated better than if you took an AC flight.

The biggest advantage on riding AC is that you can always request the jumpseat to get to work.

Good luck and welcome.

You might find useful information on the AC pilots forum

http://www.acpilotsforum.ca

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Not sure if you have one yet but you should get a crash pad around the YYZ airport (24 hour transit is key here).

Commuting on reserve is very difficult, not for the faint of heart. That being said YUL is probably the easiest.

On reserve you start very early in the morning. You'll have to commute in the day before (even if you get awarded a pairing the day before you are still on call until that flight). The only exception to this early morning reserve (5am) is if you have a duty rest or prior to your days off you had a duty rest that pushed your days off back (it's a 24 hour period not calendar day and your days off only start once your duty rest is done.) But I ended up moving to YYZ because I did not want to commute, but my commute was going to be much harder than YUL.

As for Porter, I believe we no longer have them as a recip j/s could be mistaken though. I wanted to use them to go to Tremblant this year, looked at them and thing we lost it a couple years back.

With AC the chance is after several flights if all else fails you could probably find a flight with an extra flight deck seat. WS is slightly cheaper, more often the flights are easier to get on as well, although with their poor re-booking option (part of the not over selling thing) people tend to show up for their flights more frequently than with AC, so when it says full at AC and full at WS all else being equal AC will give you the better chance I have found. If your crash pad is not right near YYZ closer to High Park or so Sky Regional would be a good commuting option, the load info to the island is no secret and favours standby travellers.

Anyhow congrats on the new job, I really love it here, there are some people who are happy, others who are not but at the end of the day I found the lifestyle at this job is very good compared to my last!

Cheers,

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

Thanks so much for your posts guys this is truly great information.

I feel my anxiety level has already decreased substantially!
I will check pour acpilotsforum aswell, didn't know about it thanks.

Next step finding a crash pad...

Keep the info coming, I appreciate it very much.

L

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Get on WJ. It's much cheaper and you will get on the flight. I have yet to see a full flight in the triangle.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

I believe Westjet might be your only option. Your company travel privileges don't kick in till 6 months of employment, this includes jumpseating. You can't list yourself on any AC flight including skyregional to the island. Accept awards early (dont pass) and fly in the day before, arrange a crash pad.

After 6 month, if loads are tight try catching the crew or pass a message with a gate agent to let the crews know you're a commuting pilot looking for a jumpseat. Just so you don't get bump of by a senior commuting FAs. Lots of FAs commute on this route.

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

Bede wrote:Get on WJ. It's much cheaper and you will get on the flight. I have yet to see a full flight in the triangle.

Really? Wow that's great news for commuting - thanks for that valuable piece of information bede!

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

RVR6000 wrote: Your company travel privileges don't kick in till 6 months of employment, this includes jumpseating. You can't list yourself on any AC flight including skyregional to the island. .
Actually, I was happy to learn that new hires DO have travel privileges from the date if hire, but only to and from you home to your assigned base for company business (aka communing). These passes are C2/Y10.

Besides that what you say is true RVR6000: other travel privileges only kick in till 6 months of employment i.e. travel for vacation and family, etc.

But in spite of this, you're right I think Westjet will be my best option given the fact that they have more available seats between YUL and yyz.

Thanks!

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Jumpseat privelagde usually kick in on day one ID tickets on our own airline 3 months, others, 6. That's how it worked for my last 2 airlines anyways. Not sure bout AC.

Return to “Air Canada”