New Merger?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

turbo-beaver
Rank 3
Rank 3

New Merger?

Post by turbo-beaver »

Has anyone else heard the scuttlebutt that AC may be making an offer for Transair.....oops (Transat) and bringing their aircraft, pilots and staff into Rouge?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by turbo-beaver on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New Merger?

Post by HavaJava »

About 34 years too late for that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transair_(Canada)

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

turbo-beaver wrote:Has anyone else heard the scuttlebutt that AC may be making an offer for Transair and bringing their aircraft, pilots and staff into Rouge?
I assume you mean Air Transat.

With what money?

accumulous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by accumulous »

yycflyguy wrote:
turbo-beaver wrote:Has anyone else heard the scuttlebutt that AC may be making an offer for Transair and bringing their aircraft, pilots and staff into Rouge?
I assume you mean Air Transat.

With what money?
Would make sense - Transat is already feeling the pinch and has been into proactive trimming - AC Corp has the approximately $320 million and change that the pilots handed them on a silver platter in the FOS retirement sting debacle when the Collective Agreement went up in smoke - the rest of the savings would come from not competing against Transat any more. Date of hire merger, pilots already trained, big Airbuses to complement the ones the AC pilots are handing Rouge on the same silver platter - would make for a one-denominational Rouge fleet - pull the B767's out of it before it goes any further, and you've got yourself a single type Airbus WestJet.

From the Globular Mail in April:

...... Transat’s results are already feeling the ill effects of increased competition that will only get worse with Air Canada’s decision to launch its low-cost airline Rouge.

“That is potentially a giant challenge for Transat because if Air Canada follows through with the full breadth of what they have the ability to do with their new union agreements, they would have many more aircraft than Transat,” the analyst said in an interview.

Rouge is expected to ramp up to 50 aircraft, including 20 wide-body planes and 30 narrow-body aircraft used in sun destinations.

Air Transat’s total permanent fleet is expected to be 21 planes by 2015, including five narrow-bodies and 16 wide-body planes.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

"Date of hire merger"

Like that would ever happen...just look at the last merger

Odysseus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Odysseus »

Yeah regarding date of hire... in theory if the two airlines merged, if one were to be laid off from TSC last fall (but still on the recall list) and then hired by AC, which date of hire would be used? The TSC date of hire or the AC date of hire?
In reality, I could hardly see TSC and AC merging. Two completly different and incompatible businesses. AC is still felling the effects of the CA merger, and those were two sched mainlines. Makes more sense to let Air Transat die off, or come to an agreement with groupe Transat to provide lift on AC or rouge airplanes in the place of Air Transat. Unless I'm missing something.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

They do have one thing in common, CYUL 8)

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Norwegianwood wrote:They do have one thing in common, CYUL 8)
and pilot payscale.

Mad Catz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mad Catz »

Does anyone have the Air Transat payscale? I have a friend, who claims he makes significantly more than the new hire Rogue guys. Judging from what I've seen, I believe him.

Odysseus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Odysseus »

The Transat payscale is a bit more, it was $52/hour to start, $57/hour 2nd year. Don't remember what 3rd year was, but it was nothing to get excited about, especially flying widebodies. It used to be much better than that but the juniors got screwed in the last contract. The per diems were good though.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Not sure if this is accurate but should be:

Air Transat Pay Scale
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... ansat.html

Air Canada Pay Scale
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... anada.html

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

If you use the following website Transat is higher and AC is lower than Airline Pilot central.

http://..com/

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

If you use the following website Transat is higher and AC is lower than Airline Pilot central.
..which is why no one uses that site. Those numbers are a decade out of date. Stick to APC.

The rouge pay scales, which are obviously lower than mainline have the widebody pay based on Transat and narrowbody based on WJ. And again, the Transat merger rumor is total bunk. Unworkable on so many levels.

Return to “Air Canada”