CARGO ATTENDANT TO F.O POSITION

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CARGO ATTENDANT TO F.O POSITION

Post by flatface »

Deleted
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

It is possible to work around big airplanes on your way to flying them. But as others have mentioned, working directly for AC is probably a bad idea, since the pilot recruitment department and ground operation are far removed from each other. Airlines interview based on flying experience, and hire based on personality. In order to get that interview you need to get that experience elsewhere, and more than flight instructing. Get yourself a job on a Kingair or a Twin otter, maybe move on to a dash 8 or ATR, and soon AC will come calling.
I spent 5 years chucking bags on the ramp around big airplanes at a major airport while I completed my training, and that ramp job led to my first flying job, and 7 years later I now fly for Air Canada. So it is possible to experience both, but the ramp job will not lead directly to the flightdeck at AC without several steps in between.
All the best with your career!

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Best advice I was given from Avcanada 10+ years ago when I was in a similar career position was "go north!" sure it kind of sucks but it goes by fairly quick and some even like it up there and stay. Will make you a much better pilot in the long run.

Good Luck

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

Listen to flatface and nottellin.
Starting to fly isn't something you do "on the side". It's a total and utter commitment and timing in everything in this industry so the quicker you realize that the quicker you'll have the required experience to fly for an airline.
Also, living in a city is hard with the low pay and distractions everywhere. If you go up north you'll live and breath flying and if you love as much as you think you'll know whether or not it's for you.
Good luck

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Not to use the old AC=NHL reference but, think of any large airline like a pro hockey team. You don't get on the team by filling water bottles. You get on the team by being good at hockey. And you can't get good if you only play once a week. Go north, bud.

verybadman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by verybadman »

I know of a guy that worked the YHZ ramp for Air Canada in the 90's to late 90's that did exactly that albeit he had to eventually quit his ramp job to build time in the bush etc. BUT clearly the history with AC helped him because he is a 8 year AC pilot now in YYZ. So I don't think it's the norm, but certainly not a broken mold either. I say give it your best. And there's worse ways to save money while doing PPL, Commercial etc before you land the first job. Good luck.

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

Hmm interesting post. I have a question myself. It might be silly but don't judge ahaha. If you worked as a flight attendant for years on Air Canada and want to be a pilot, is their a chance they will put you through school to become one? That is, working your way up through the ranks as a flight attendant which takes years.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

is their a chance they will put you through school to become one
:lol: that was a good one.

But on a serious note Air Canada will not pay for your flight training. And the flight attendant to pilot route is no shortcut unless you have the required hours.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

And the flight attendant to pilot route is no shortcut unless you have the required hours.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. What do you mean required hours? Required hours as in cockpit hours or flight attendant hours?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Flight attendant hours mean nothing for a pilot position. You will need between 2500-3000 hours as a pilot to be hired by AC. Being in the company as a flight attendant is no short cut to the cockpit.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

Thanks for the info jpilot77.

zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zulutime »

Censo wrote:Hmm interesting post. I have a question myself. It might be silly but don't judge ahaha. If you worked as a flight attendant for years on Air Canada and want to be a pilot, is their a chance they will put you through school to become one? That is, working your way up through the ranks as a flight attendant which takes years.

I knew a guy who worked as a flight attendant for A/C for years. He was also an instructor and eventually built up a nice amount of hours, albeit, on mainly small aircraft. He always wanted to fly for A/C but ended up taking a job flying cargo. Certianly nothing wrong with that.

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

zulutime wrote:
Censo wrote:Hmm interesting post. I have a question myself. It might be silly but don't judge ahaha. If you worked as a flight attendant for years on Air Canada and want to be a pilot, is their a chance they will put you through school to become one? That is, working your way up through the ranks as a flight attendant which takes years.

I knew a guy who worked as a flight attendant for A/C for years. He was also an instructor and eventually built up a nice amount of hours, albeit, on mainly small aircraft. He always wanted to fly for A/C but ended up taking a job flying cargo. Certianly nothing wrong with that.
Ahh very cool. So this guy you knew already had a pilots liscense I'm guessing? I always thought the company would pay for your training. Maybe not Air Canada, but if your a FA on Emirates and want to be a pilot, I'm sure they'll pay for your training.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I know of two AC pilots who were AC FAs first. They quit their positions to pursue flight training and are now at the pointy end of the plane.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Censo wrote:if your a FA on Emirates and want to be a pilot, I'm sure they'll pay for your training.
I highly doubt that.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

The piece you are missing Censo, historically it takes roughly 10 years of experience (flying other Aircraft) before you would be considered by Air Canada. That number floats with supply and demand and each given hiring cycle.

This is AFTER you have all the licensing requirements.

Being a Flight Attendant has nothing to do with (or benefit) becoming a Pilot.

shagger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shagger »

yycflyguy wrote:I know of two AC pilots who were AC FAs first. They quit their positions to pursue flight training and are now at the pointy end of the plane.

Yycflyguy is right....actually at last count I know for sure there are 6 at least. I am one of them. I am friends with another that worked the ramp in Yyc and is an RP like me on the 767. Suffice it to say my path is not the most common in the industry but I will tell you anyone who says it can't be done is incorrect. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Up until last year AC would not hire in house to flight operations. I now know of two cases where that policy, brought in by the former directors of flight operations, has been relaxed. However one of those was an exceptional case and the pilot, working as a contract instructor then in another position had heavy jet time already.

So it can be done but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. During my employ as an FA at AC I was able to take two Loa's that enabled me to build time. As well I did a ton of contract work that allowed me to stay with AC and operate flights on the weekend and fly around either Ontario or Alberta during the week. It was tough. But it paid the bills much better than had I only been flying as a pilot. It gave me great mobility as well to look for work particularly as a junior pilot with low time.

In the end though I had to quit. I had gotten all I could out of the FA job in terms of Loa's and a full time gig came up and I had to cut the cord. Had I gotten another loa yeah I likely would have stayed. I'm glad I moved on though insofar as I got back here again and it was the way it was meant to be for me.

If you are going to hold down two gigs though be sure to be single. It likely can't be done if you have a wife or significant other. Luckily for me I'm pretty ugly and had to club my wife in the end;) that was after AC though and I was a capt in Yyc flying Air Ambulance.

Any route in becoming a pilot is tough. No matter which way you go. Anyone who tells you the way you chose to go is wrong....likely hasn't got a clue not because they are wrong but can't see the way like you can. I'm quite sure I got hired at AC for the following reasons

1. Pilot with 4000+ hrs total time
2. They liked the fact I was a direct entry captain at GGN
3. They were impressed with my education BA AND DIPLOMA.
4. I had an exemplary record at AC when I was a FA and I provided proof with letters of commendation from staff and actual passengers.
5. I was honest in my interview and went in with the attitude they want to know who I am. That's who I gave them.
6. Passing all the psychology bs probably helped too.

Be prepared to cut the cord. And if you do don't effing give up. Keep on going and don't give up. That's a huge plus in the interview too. The pilots I fly with never effing give up. Most professional I've met in my life. If you build enough time to get some pension leave it there you'll get it back when you get back.

A word to you all. I like many of you, have seen the best and worst this career has to offer. If you are starting out do well at school and look to getting into a cadet program. It is the best way from this point forward to getting into an airline. This is not to say that you have all misspent your time but this is how the industry is going. And frankly I wouldn't want to put anyone through the crap I went through to get
here.

Good luck

Shagger

Return to “Air Canada”