Making a great Salary now, should I move?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Making a great Salary now, should I move?

Post by ogopogo »

I can understand your four carriers under the AC Express with aircraft types and destinations, but honestly Rouge throws me.

Me, too. I was always led to believe that pilots' wages were only a minor contributing factor to the cost of running an airline, say compared to fuel costs and maintenance. Same airplanes, same maintenance unions, same fuel, same business systems, etc --

What gives?
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Old fella wrote:Outside of less pay(if that is correct), what is the advantage of AC Rouge to me as a fare paying passenger. Unless I am missing something(and I miss a lot), on the grand scheme of things, what is Rouge all about despite it's color of red. I can understand your four carriers under the AC Express with aircraft types and destinations, but honestly Rouge throws me.

I am getting old................ :wink:
Marketing.

Same airplanes, same routes, serviced by the same fuelers, dispatch, gate, ground, maintenance and a bloated management structure. Only the pilots and flight attendants are doing the work for less. What does that mean to the travelling public? Nothing. It will be marketed as a low cost vacation airline and people will buy seats based on the perception that it is a discount carrier. It is not. Much like how there is a significant population who still thinks Westjet is cheaper. There were many comparisons between mainline ticket price and rouge ticket price. They were generally the same and in some cases rouge was more expensive.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

Fanblade wrote:Ask an MEC member. Mainline is overstaffed by about 200 pilots according to the company. Not sure if that is current or projected after the 319's move this year.

So far the company is choosing not to reduce in favour of reduced block hours but they reserve the right to change their mind. I think they are struggling with the retirement forecast.

The only reason AC is hiring at the moment is to fill Rouge spots. If the company changes there mind and reduces, hiring will stop and the seniority to hold Captain will significantly change.
100 percent correct according to my source who makes more money flying a desk than a plane.
It will boil down to money. The cost of moving me to Rouge (and I am somewhat vulnerable) vs a first year capt more than negates the salary of a new hire. The fly in the ointment may arrive when the clever "20 319" clause takes effect. Ie, pilots of my ilk get reduced after the first 20 319's leave and as a result they don't have to pay me mainline rate. It's pretty easy to write a contract full of traps when the Feds give you the wink.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

yycflyguy wrote:
Old fella wrote:Outside of less pay(if that is correct), what is the advantage of AC Rouge to me as a fare paying passenger. Unless I am missing something(and I miss a lot), on the grand scheme of things, what is Rouge all about despite it's color of red. I can understand your four carriers under the AC Express with aircraft types and destinations, but honestly Rouge throws me.

I am getting old................ :wink:
Marketing.

Same airplanes, same routes, serviced by the same fuelers, dispatch, gate, ground, maintenance and a bloated management structure. Only the pilots and flight attendants are doing the work for less. What does that mean to the travelling public? Nothing. It will be marketed as a low cost vacation airline and people will buy seats based on the perception that it is a discount carrier. It is not. Much like how there is a significant population who still thinks Westjet is cheaper. There were many comparisons between mainline ticket price and rouge ticket price. They were generally the same and in some cases rouge was more expensive.
I figured as much but glad you said it. Didn't AC try something similar years back using B737(from the Canadian Airlines merger) and called it ZIP or Zoom, can't remember which. Is Rouge modeled from that.

Return to “Air Canada”