Employee Seating

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Employee Seating

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

prop2jet wrote:
Does jazz have the ability to deadhead their people in Confirmed J? I heard that was happening, and I have seen their flight attendants in J while I was deadheading as a mainline pilot in economy.
Jazz air crew do not get any confirmed J seats. If anything, more often than not, I can attest to the fact that when I check in for a deadhead there is a 50/50 chance I have been assigned to a centre seat. There is nothing like being crammed into a centre seat on a 5 hour deadhead and then have to operate on arrival. I try and avoid this by checking in 24 hours ahead, but there are times, there is no suitable alternative.
There's a very good chance that the Jazz FA in J while you were in the back may have been working for AC for 30+ years!

Get over it...life goes on! There's more to life then "getting" J class!

Merry Christmas!
---------- ADS -----------

Idle Thrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Idle Thrust »

"Jazz FA working at AIR CANADA for over thirty years" .......................???????????????????

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

Filling up J with randoms from the back sounds like a smart idea, but it is not. The J passenger paid or used an upgrade to get there. To have someone sitting next to them bragging about a free upgrade would not look so good.

They have a system, and a pecking order that is followed.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

I am an AC million-miler, I always book Y, and if by chance I get upgraded, I am grateful for the perk. I enjoy the service, but never ever brag or talk about how I got there.

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

Idle Thrust wrote:"Jazz FA working at AIR CANADA for over thirty years" .......................???????????????????

I said: "working for"...not "at"!

Who do you think Jazz works for?????????????????

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

I reserved a seat on a Dash 8 Q400 flight and noticed when I got my boarding pass that I had been moved across the aisle from the seat I had selected. I booked a window seat and was given an aisle seat instead. After boarding was complete I was surprised to see both my original seat and the one beside it was empty. So after takeoff I slid across the aisle over to my original booked seat to give myself and the person I was sitting beside some extra room. The flight attendant noticed and told me I couldn't sit there and I apologized and returned to my assigned seat. I assumed that there was something wrong with the seat and it wasn't safe to use. Later in the flight, after the drinks were served, two flight attendants came and sat in those two seats, lowered the tray tables, and played a game of cards. :lol: I believe it was Crazy Eights.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Rudy wrote:I reserved a seat on a Dash 8 Q400 flight and noticed when I got my boarding pass that I had been moved across the aisle from the seat I had selected. I booked a window seat and was given an aisle seat instead. After boarding was complete I was surprised to see both my original seat and the one beside it was empty. So after takeoff I slid across the aisle over to my original booked seat to give myself and the person I was sitting beside some extra room. The flight attendant noticed and told me I couldn't sit there and I apologized and returned to my assigned seat. I assumed that there was something wrong with the seat and it wasn't safe to use. Later in the flight, after the drinks were served, two flight attendants came and sat in those two seats, lowered the tray tables, and played a game of cards. :lol: I believe it was Crazy Eights.
At Jazz in the Dash 8-100, Row 8 seats A & C are reserved as "crew seats" if there are 35 or less people. That way the F/A has somewhere to sit besides facing backwards in the jumpseat after service is completed. I am not sure which row it is on the Q, but I assume it is near the back near the galley in seats A & C. I don't know why when pre-selecting your seat online that those seats are available to the public, only to have them switched last minute at the gate... That's Air Canada's problem since they run the check-in system. Some F/A's place a placard on the seat before boarding commences that says something along the lines of "Reserved Seat / Do Not Use" so that people don't see empty seats and try to take them on their own.

But long story short, the seat(s) you wanted were most likely designated crew seats, and unless the aircraft is completely full, F/A's are contractually allowed to sit there and move passengers to other seats.

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

Completely pointless,
As mentioned by many people before.

I know quite a few full fair passengers who have once been upgraded for different reasons. They were quite ecstatic by the situation and enjoyed the flight and services more than ever. What happened next time they had to fly somewhere? They booked the cheapest flight (ie. whether it be WJ, Transat, AC etc). Sure didn't make them loyal to AC next time around.

So why give away a product for free? You don't.

And finally, once you start upgrading people for free the mentality changes from a "OMG I got first class" to "I CANT BELIEVE I DIDNT GET THAT UPGRADE, THIS IS BS!!"

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

You should see how Emirates deals with the deadheading of their crew - specifically Captains.

DH772
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DH772 »

Do go on

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I heard it was handjobs and caviar until TOD.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

seriously though, I heard they don't get paid and can't drink.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

or was it they don't get paid and give handjobs?

anyway...

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

altiplano wrote:I heard it was handjobs and caviar until TOD.
^

Now that was funny! :lol:

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

Jazz Q400, seats 4AC are designated crew seats and wont be given out until the plane is full...

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

cv990 wrote:Jazz Q400, seats 4AC are designated crew seats and wont be given out until the plane is full...
And most FA's like to switch those seats with passengers assigned to the last row of seats so they can be closer to the galley.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

Flight time is paid at normal duty rates.

That is all.

Merry Christmas to all you AvCanada reprobates! 8)

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

DBC wrote:
Does jazz have the ability to deadhead their people in Confirmed J? I heard that was happening, and I have seen their flight attendants in J while I was deadheading as a mainline pilot in economy.

Basic answer is no.

If you were deadheading on a DH/POS booking, and there was a Jazz FA in J, then someone broke a rule. I believe that even Jazz management only get a J class seat if space available. Only exceptions would be President and VP's likely are booked POS J.

shagger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shagger »

complexintentions wrote:Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

That is all.

Best response ever.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

complexintentions wrote:Errr….speaking as one, Emirates captains deadhead in F, first officers deadhead in J. In uniform, no alcohol (duh), caviar and hand job optional.

That is all.

Great, now every disgruntled Air Canada customer will expect a handjob coupon as well as big seat.

As an aside, I think given the paycuts and then stagnation over the past 12 years, I've bought that J class deadhead seat. I would gladly give it up for the back-pay that would result form the re-instatement of my former salary plus inflation, but then people might have to pay an extra buck fifty for their ticket.

Return to “Air Canada”