ICAO Removes Restictions on PICs >60, Caps F/Os To Age 64

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

ICAO Removes Restictions on PICs >60, Caps F/Os To Age 64

Post by Raymond Hall »

In an amendment that will come into force on November 13, 2014, ICAO has amended its Annex 1 Personnel Licensing provisions to allow two pilots over age 60 to operate flights in international airspace. This effectively ends what we have referred to as the "Over-Under" Rule--an over age-60 Captain is currently required to be paired with at least one fully qualified pilot who is under age 60.

However, in the same amendment, it has changed from a Recommendation to a Standard the upper age limit restriction on First Officers, matching the maximum age for pilots-in-command at age 64 and effectively ending their ability to operate flights in international airspace at age 65.

I have posted the 2013 proposal on the Fly Past 60 web site: http://www.flypast60.com.

Confirmation of approval of the proposed change is published on the following ICAO web site:

http://www.ulc.gov.pl/en/aviation-techn ... ao-council
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ICAO Removes Restictions on PICs >60, Caps F/Os To Age 6

Post by Rockie »

Raymond Hall wrote:However, in the same amendment, it has changed from a Recommendation to a Standard the upper age limit restriction on First Officers, matching the maximum age for pilots-in-command at age 64 and effectively ending their ability to operate flights in international airspace at age 65.
"Fly till you die" is no longer available as a slogan.

duranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by duranium »

Rockie wrote:
Raymond Hall wrote:However, in the same amendment, it has changed from a Recommendation to a Standard the upper age limit restriction on First Officers, matching the maximum age for pilots-in-command at age 64 and effectively ending their ability to operate flights in international airspace at age 65.
"Fly till you die" is no longer available as a slogan.

Not to forget also the whining, self flogging, falling on one's sword, name calling, creative accounting, multiple domesday scenarios, etc

Now, what will be left very soon when all of the 200 more or less folks have turned the page at 65 is, you guessed it, the potential VERY HUGE financial penalty the opposing party will have to cough up, and reading here and elsewhere, it could be on the worst side of HUGE. That is ACT Four. Stay tuned folks, the show is far from over yet.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Where does ICAO get off discriminating against age, how dare they? Someone, anyone....let's sue their fat @ss.

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

Can RPs still fly til they die? :rolleyes:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Where does ICAO get off discriminating against age, how dare they? Someone, anyone....let's sue their fat @ss.
If you can find discrimination laws that apply to ICAO you can be the someone who sues them. Why leave it to anyone else?

accumulous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by accumulous »

DBC wrote:Can RPs still fly til they die? :rolleyes:
Good question - Parliament giveth and Aviation taketh away. If RP's can't fly then a couple of big items come rocketing to the front page like a spooked horse.

1. There will likely be a gold rush on the highest paying seats regardless of base, in order of seniority.
2. Now that the door is permanently shut for unlimited pilot progression, if you are an AC pilot hired over the age of 30, the pension cap is meaningless, and that likely includes at least 1000 pilots and more likely close to 1500 pilots who will never get close to the top tier. So that's a major effect at AC.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

DBC wrote:Can RPs still fly til they die? :rolleyes:
They'll live forever. Watching the EICAS and the back of your eyelids isn't too taxing on the body. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

DBC wrote:Can RPs still fly til they die?
The non-exempting countries simply will not recognize the licence of any operating crew member who is over age 65. That includes the USA on all of the Alaska segments, the Pacific segment from SEA to south of HNL, and the east coast, including BGR, BOS, JFK, IAD, and MIA etc.

That, along with European restrictions, pretty significantly reduces the ability of a carrier to utilize any pilot, including RPs, because they can't be allowed to occupy either of the two operating seats on any of those segments.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Does this affect Canadian F/O's over 65 from flying to the USA from Canada since the max age there is 65 for Airline pilots?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

swervin wrote:Does this affect Canadian F/O's over 65 from flying to the USA from Canada since the max age there is 65 for Airline pilots?

You mean you want to be in the cockpit of an airliner beyond 65 yrs old..........

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Old fella wrote:
swervin wrote:Does this affect Canadian F/O's over 65 from flying to the USA from Canada since the max age there is 65 for Airline pilots?

You mean you want to be in the cockpit of an airliner beyond 65 yrs old..........
Nope, hoping to be out by late 50's...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

swervin wrote:
Old fella wrote:

Nope, hoping to be out by late 50's...
Good for you.Hope things come together, you will probably be like the rest of us whose time was right and wanted to get out of it all. I did it myself certainly with no regrets. I didn't want to be anywhere near a working life at 65 yrs of age.

:wink: :partyman: :drinkers:

Return to “Air Canada”