Question

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Question

Post by Old fella »

Question for any former SO on either DC-8, B727 or B747, did guys/gals who occupied those entry position yrs back ever get any stick time on actual flight, landings and take-off etc. I do know the above mentioned aircraft were three member crew........
---------- ADS -----------

Bored
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Question

Post by Bored »

Not legally. But once in awhile guys would let the SO do 10000 to 10000 or even TO to Landing. Depended on the crew and the competency of the SO. Pretty big kick to get the Take off out of ORD with the immediate left turn in a DC- 8 Freighter, only to arrive in YYZ in a CB. Good times.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Bored wrote:Not legally. But once in awhile guys would let the SO do 10000 to 10000 or even TO to Landing. Depended on the crew and the competency of the SO. Pretty big kick to get the Take off out of ORD with the immediate left turn in a DC- 8 Freighter, only to arrive in YYZ in a CB. Good times.
Imagine it was fun in the "trash hauler" DC-8 freighter. Where those positions sought after(DC-8) freight, as saw plenty of them in YYT,YQX, YHZ and on occasion YYR

Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

Old Fella,
As an S/O on the DC-8, in the mid seventies, I got the occasional , cruise,descent and approach to about 3000',
usually in the left seat.

On the B727, also mid seventies, I would get quite a few cruise, descent, approach and landings, usually 1 per cycle,
flying in the right seat while the F/O worked the panel. There were only 2 or 3 captains allowing this,and always with the F/O's concurrence. We had all trained on the 727 together and I know for sure that several of the Captains were instructor pilots or check pilots.( Naturally I would bid to fly with these pilots as much as I could )

I remember that this practice was stopped probably 75-76' by the chief pilot because of complaints from the F/As
about S/Os being qualified to fly.
Cheers,
Waldo

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I would think the F/O not being able run the panel would be a bigger worry than the S/O being able to fly the plane ... or did they all start as S/Os?

Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

Ahramin,
The F/Os were confident and more importunately, competent on the S/O panel.
Our group did our training at Boeing with Boeing instructors.
As an S/O ( or as my Boeing certificate say "Engineer") I got right seat sim time as well as
right seat landings and take offs as Moses Field.( I did, I cannot speak for others)
The F/O ran the panel on those occasions, instructed by the engineer instructor. The captains and F/O were quite interested in knowing the S/O panel and knew the checks and emergency procedures related to it
Most of those F/Os were ex military and were coming off the Viscount. Maybe one might have had DC-8 S/O time.
The Captains were mostly from Viscounts,DC-9, and had civilian backgrounds.
That is how I remember it.

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

Did some time waaaay back in the centre seat of the DC10…got window seat time in all phases (in both seats) except the TO and Land parts. The course we took was recognized as being good enough to get a guy his Flight Engineer ticket when finished. The most fun was after TC decided that when the FO or Captain was in the middle seat (during cruise and rest periods on LR flights) they had to be "proficient" at running the pressurization portion of the panel in case of the dreaded explosive depressurization. The hardest part of that was trying to find the horn cut-off button. The First Class galley was right behind the door and the leftovers where usually top notch! So was the Kobe steak out of Japan! Learned a huge amount of good stuff from some very talented teachers that still holds true today. Thanks guys, it was a blast!

Return to “Air Canada”