Air Canada Sim Eval

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Canada Sim Eval

Post by Main Gear »

Just wondering how difficult the sim eval is, if you only have piston time?
---------- ADS -----------

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Wow, hiring without any turbine? I might as well tear the 3500 turbine out of my logbook! :o

metal overcast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by metal overcast »

This has got to be a bad joke :shock:

spoiler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by spoiler »

No kidding. :shock:

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

I don't get it either, but there is talk on this forum of friends getting interviews with only piston time. :?

I call B.S.

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

There’s no big deal transitioning from either prop, turbo to jet or from yoke to side stick. Its take a tad longer to get spool up and positive reaction and its harder to slow down as you don’t have the massive prop to help with the drag, so you lead a jet.. If you want to bone up on modern jets read up on the programming of the FMS and more importantly what the airplane is actually doing after you program it. You’re already half-way there as you’re practicing programming by contributing to this thread.. However don’t sweat the small stuff as the sim instructor will do the programming for you.

AC has literally hired thousands of pilots in the past without a simulator evaluation, so what.

Last edited by Rebel on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Thanks for ther post Rebel.

balls
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balls »

There is a chance you won't have a sim eval now. Some people have just done medical, cog screen and the interview lately.

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

So what is the story with the sim eval, exactly? I've heard they're not being done due to busy sims... and then I heard someone else suggest that only guys coming off a jet will be excused. Anyone know what the real story is?

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

I've heard 2nd, 3rd hand that there are no Simevals this time around... anyone confirm?

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I think it sucks that there's no sim eval. I've spent the last 2000 hours hand flying an MU2. I was hoping that would make up for my imbicile ranking on the cogtest. :D

spoiler
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by spoiler »

Bede wrote:I've spent the last 2000 hours hand flying an MU2. I was hoping that would make up for my imbicile ranking on the cogtest. :D
LOL :D

balls
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balls »

Practice cogscreens on the net. You can search examples. Not that they are difficult, but it takes a bit of time to get into that mode. I did an Emirates interview with the idea that I'd finish off my career there - duh!! - anyhow it is worthwhile getting prior orientation or refreshing to that kind of testing

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

It was my understanding, that only Jazz was doing sim evaluations. By the way Balls, are there any particular sites you came across, where you can practice cogscreens? I'll do a search myself in the mean time and if I come across anything that might be of interest, I'll mention where to find it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by backon3 »

Can someone tell me how flying a King Air prepares you better for AC than heavy piston?! Anyone who says "Oh sorry but you don't have any turbine time, only has turbine time!"

uncleron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by uncleron »

I don't think it's so much what kind of engine (piston or turbine), but more the complexity of systems.Typically heavy turbine time includes A/C with efis,pressurization,bleed air etc., but I would think they would consider heavy piston time in the same way if the a/c has advanced systems.
When most think of a piston they think of a light cessna, which isn't the case.

55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

Good question however I assume turbine time equates more to speed and altitude capability. A Be200 TAS is 260 kts and operates in the high 20's or low 30's if you squeeze it. That is DHC-08 territory although a Dash eight certainly has more systems that a 200. Just my 2 cents worth and that may be all it is worth :wink:

balls
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by balls »

Cool Rythms! wrote:It was my understanding, that only Jazz was doing sim evaluations. By the way Balls, are there any particular sites you came across, where you can practice cogscreens? I'll do a search myself in the mean time and if I come across anything that might be of interest, I'll mention where to find it.
Do a search for "psychometric practice tests". I just did one and there are lots of sites. Many are trying to sell them to you, but they usually have a free test or two. I can't remember the sites I used, and I've toasted all the links.

Return to “Air Canada”